Search

Introducing TAP RC

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 12:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Introducing TAP RC

Mission Statement and Introduction

Our mission is simple. To bring high-performance, high-quality, RC products to the community at a competitive price. TAP RC listens to the community, for needs and wants, and designs and manufactures them.

TAP RC was founded in November, 2009. It was conceived by two RC racers, Tom Chang and Paul Huang (hence the name “TAP”). Two engineers who often pondered on “why didn't they design it this way,” “why can't this be made with this material,” and “why aren't XYZ making ABC parts.” We are definitely striving to be that “XYZ” company to make those “ABC” parts that many bashers and racers have been asking for!

A little background of the two founders:

Tom Chang:

An RF Engineer, but with a passion of all sciences and all fields of engineering. He has over 20 years of experience with RC as a hobbyist and enthusiast. Coming from the defense industry, he brings to the table methods and techniques of how to militarize components. Designing for strength, toughness, and reliability.

He is adept at machining techniques, material science, mechanical engineering, and electrical engineering. He has many design engineering experience, many products which are already on the market. He graduated with a Bachelors in Computer Engineering, from the University of California, Santa Cruz.

Paul Huang:

Coming from an aerospace back ground that includes companies such as NASA and GKN. Paul Huang brings almost 10 years of experience in design application of all types of components large and small. He also perform stress analysis by methods of FEA (Finite Element Analysis) or classical methods of various materials in static, thermal and gravitational loading.

Graduated from California State Polytechnic University, Pomona with a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering and is certified by the state of California as an EIT. Attended Pasadena City College and achieved a vocational certificate in Business Administration, Entrepreneurship.

We look forward to everyone's support and feedback and am excited to have introduced you to our company.

Tom Chang
President/Founder

P.S. Did you know that our products are designed, manufactured, and tested in the US?
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Our first two products are in production, stay tuned for product photos!

Last edited by tom_chang79; 01-23-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

hey sounds good cant wait to see what u develop.

I can run parts testing.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:25 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks, I appreciate your enthusiasm and support. I will definitely be testing the production version at OCRC when the parts are finished... OCRC has some crazy jumps that stresses even the most resilient parts...

The prototype was actually tested there, I kept casing jumps and landed upside down about five to six times per pack (wasn't on purpose, it was just my lousy skills ). After about six to seven battery packs or so, the shock tower held up very well, just a few scratches, but not cracks or rips...

The new part is actually two shock towers for the B44 made of Polycarbonate, which will be a great alternative and replacement for the stock one, but priced much cheaper...
Old 01-22-2010, 05:08 AM
Tech Regular

Any intrest in making parts that are discontiinued?
Old 01-22-2010, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Very cool. What part of So Cal? I live in San Diego and it's always nice to have some local stuff near by.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brandon_oma#692
RC10B2 arms are the first thing that come to ThunderbirdJunkie's mind!
Old 01-22-2010, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Congrats Tom!
Old 01-22-2010, 07:52 AM
Tech Regular

Go Tom Go!!!

How about some Slash 4x4 rear axles that don't bend or break?

Beat Traxxas and other aftermarket vendors to the punch!
Old 01-22-2010, 07:56 AM
Tech Regular

If you ever need a test driver to REALLY stress parts and test durability,
let me know and I'll bring my daughter to the track.

She has the uncanny ability to break things without really hitting anything. I believe it's the way she lands her jumps. Seems like she never really lands squared up.

She WILL test the durability of your parts... and the rest of the parts on the car.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Brandon_oma#692
Always. I'm currently looking at the cost for some repro work. I need to figure it out to see if it's viable or not since molding for vacuum forming bodies costs quite a bit. Just need to do some more market research for potential buyers versus the cost of making it... But I have a great interest in making parts for vintage and discontinued cars...

Originally Posted by bigbeej
Very cool. What part of So Cal? I live in San Diego and it's always nice to have some local stuff near by.
I'm operating between Orange County and LA County area. Which is an ideal location since the downtown LA and Irvine is about the same distance from where I am. Plus, being here in the MECA of RC also has its advantages!

Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie
RC10B2 arms are the first thing that come to ThunderbirdJunkie's mind!
Currently, I am looking at creating suspension arms as well since I am interested in the materials Delrin and Nylon. I really want to get into Nylon parts since when I raced about 20+ years ago, everything was made of Nylon (like what RPM does) and breaking a suspension arm was a rarity (unless you were out to break your car on purpose ). But just like creating RC bodies, I need to do some research and find out the cost of molding versus machining it and see what the potential sales would be...

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
Congrats Tom!
Thanks! I appreciate all you guy's support!

Originally Posted by seany916
Go Tom Go!!!

How about some Slash 4x4 rear axles that don't bend or break?

Beat Traxxas and other aftermarket vendors to the punch!
Currently, I'm trying to stay away from metal parts, since there seems to be a lot of companies out there doing it, but I'm constantly doing market research (basically taking all the requests into consideration very seriously). So who knows, perhaps metal parts might be something my company will get into...

Originally Posted by seany916
If you ever need a test driver to REALLY stress parts and test durability,
let me know and I'll bring my daughter to the track.

She has the uncanny ability to break things without really hitting anything. I believe it's the way she lands her jumps. Seems like she never really lands squared up.

She WILL test the durability of your parts... and the rest of the parts on the car.
Seriously, I might take you up on that offer! On the first test I conducted at OCRC with the Prototype B44 shock tower, my expectation was that it was going to rip itself apart on the first battery pack... My unfamiliarity coupled with those crazy doubles and triples at OCRC, my B44 kept landing upside down! I was really surprised at how well it stood up... After the end of the day, no rips, no cracks, the shock tower had a few surface scratches, and that was about it!

I wish I had some pictures of the production version (I'll try to pull out the 3D rendering and perhaps post those), but basically, it's a Polycarbonate-based shock towers for the B44. There is a front and a rear shock tower. The production version is much prettier and refined then the prototype I tested. Will post some rendering from my CAD later on... I'm currently out of the office on travel...

Again, I appreciate all the kind words, keep all the "wants" coming in, since that's what I'm trying to fill, these little "voids" that seems to be prevalent in our hobby...

Old 01-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Tom, fantastic. You know I will assist any way I can. Hit me up when you need to. I am a short course fanatic now, but I still have a couple 4wds in the wings.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Tech Regular

Slash 4x4 rear hub carriers in nylon? I'd be happy to test them for you
Old 01-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Awesome! lets see some cad!
Old 01-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

will you be doing custom pieces?

I have an old MRC that I'd like some parts for!
Old 01-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

How about Losi XXX/XXX-T/DT parts?
I realize they may not be the as popular anymore but it would be cool I suppose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.