R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-23-2010, 01:07 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

How about a Delrin aor any kind of plastic you think is best spu gear for the HB Ve8. There are tons of guys that are waiting for someone to make 1 and I am 1 of them.

JR servos Hitec servos. Gens ace lipos KO radio.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:18 AM   #17
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Any chance of making CF pieces? I have MANY ideas and needs for these. cutting pieces out of a sheet with a dremel is not fun.
Neu_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #18
Tech Adept

A nice VE8 aliminium chassis, very nice
No Idea!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:53 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chonchachencho View Post
Awesome! lets see some cad!

These two pieces will come in CLEAR, 1/8" Polycarbonate material. The front tower has a "grimace" face pattern for the pass-through for the air.

Originally, I was planning to make these pieces with colored or tinted Polycarb, but I chose to stick with clear because you can fully customize your ride by giving it a paint job.

When the production version rolls out, I will be sure to post some real pictures of the actual part... For now, enjoy the rendering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroLuver View Post
will you be doing custom pieces?

I have an old MRC that I'd like some parts for!
Possibly. Do you mean custom machining, such as you submitting a machine file (like .dxf, .igs, and etc.) or you submitting a rough sketch and requiring some engineering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
How about Losi XXX/XXX-T/DT parts?
I realize they may not be the as popular anymore but it would be cool I suppose.
Anything is possible right now. I'm trying to research into what is actually practical to do. I'm keeping tabs of all the request, and once there is enough people asking for it, then it would be financially viable to do on my end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by malik View Post
How about a Delrin aor any kind of plastic you think is best spu gear for the HB Ve8. There are tons of guys that are waiting for someone to make 1 and I am 1 of them.
Funny you mention that, I'm looking into Delrin and Nylon right now... I'm trying to focus on plastic parts, but also trying to weigh volume and cost... A high volume project would mean molding for faster turns, but molding is very expensive, so the high volume has to be able to support the cost. For low volume, plastic is probably going to be machined, but per unit, it's a lot more costly... Like I stated above, I"m keeping tabs of all the request and if there are enough people requesting it, I'm going to jump on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neu_Racer View Post
Any chance of making CF pieces? I have MANY ideas and needs for these. cutting pieces out of a sheet with a dremel is not fun.
For now, I'm trying to stay away from CF material... One thing is, there are quite a few guys out there doing it (diggity, outfront, and etc.). I'm trying to focus more on Polycarbonate because this material is tough as nails and it doesn't break your wallet like a CF part. Don't get me wrong, I love CF material, they're just painful to replace (money-wise) once they break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Idea!! View Post
A nice VE8 aliminium chassis, very nice
Aside from plastic parts, I'm looking into metals as well... But first I need to figure out what type and how. I might do some prototype chassis with Polycarbonate, since off-road and to certain extent, on-road, can sometime benefit from a less rigid chassis under low traction (bumpy) conditions...
Old 01-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

probably would be submitting a rough draft and working from there
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk racing View Post
Tom, fantastic. You know I will assist any way I can. Hit me up when you need to. I am a short course fanatic now, but I still have a couple 4wds in the wings.
Hey Joey! Thanks for offer. I haven't forgotten our conversation last time about the Losi repro. I've been asking around for quotes on how much molding would cost in order to do some vacuum forming. But as soon as I get the word, I may need to "borrow" your Losi bod... That Losi bod for the xx4 is really starting to grow on me...
Old 01-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroLuver View Post
probably would be submitting a rough draft and working from there
What type of material were you aiming for?
Old 01-23-2010, 08:34 PM   #23
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Nice to see a fellow defense RF engineer take such great initiative. I've drawn up parts for some of my trucks but haven't had the time, money, or will to follow through with production parts.
Good luck and I look forward to seeing your products.
BTW if you need another tester, I have an uncanny knack to land my vehicles in amazingly horrid ways (yes I suck major driving).
JSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:43 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR View Post
Nice to see a fellow defense RF engineer take such great initiative. I've drawn up parts for some of my trucks but haven't had the time, money, or will to follow through with production parts.
Good luck and I look forward to seeing your products.
BTW if you need another tester, I have an uncanny knack to land my vehicles in amazingly horrid ways (yes I suck major driving).
Thanks JSR, for your kind words... Are you around the South Bay area as well? I'm usually at WCRC and OCRC.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:59 PM   #25
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Yeah I work in Torrance...socal defense HQ. I went to WCRC fpr the first time last weekend. I haven't gone to OCRC yet. I'm usually at Rev.
JSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:13 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR View Post
Yeah I work in Torrance...socal defense HQ. I went to WCRC fpr the first time last weekend. I haven't gone to OCRC yet. I'm usually at Rev.
Northrop or Raytheon? My buddy works for Northrop in El Segundo...
Old 01-24-2010, 12:19 PM   #27
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you want to make vintage parts, than how about front and rear wheels for the goldpan RC10 to use the modern tires. Currently to do this you have to swap out parts to use the B4 rims or use duratrax plastic wheels modeled after the B2/B3 that tend to break.

These are the duratrax wheels that work
DuraTrax Front Wheel White Evader BX L5CXT502
DuraTrax Rear Wheel Nitro Evader BX L5EWP302
brrneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Tom if you make 1000 ve8 delrin spurs they will sell, lots of guys have the car the reviews just came in the mags trust me it will sell. The 1st 1 who makes it will cash in.

JR servos Hitec servos. Gens ace lipos KO radio.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #29
Tech Adept

very true, and a chassis
No Idea!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrneon View Post
If you want to make vintage parts, than how about front and rear wheels for the goldpan RC10 to use the modern tires. Currently to do this you have to swap out parts to use the B4 rims or use duratrax plastic wheels modeled after the B2/B3 that tend to break.

These are the duratrax wheels that work
DuraTrax Front Wheel White Evader BX L5CXT502
DuraTrax Rear Wheel Nitro Evader BX L5EWP302

Quote:
Originally Posted by malik View Post
Tom if you make 1000 ve8 delrin spurs they will sell, lots of guys have the car the reviews just came in the mags trust me it will sell. The 1st 1 who makes it will cash in.
These are all great suggestions, and I will keep those in mind. As for wheels, I'm trying to get into molding right now, since wheels would need to be molded in order to keep the per unit cost down. For low volumes, machining it would make sense, but the cost per unit would be through the roof just like molding is at low volume...

For the spur gear, that is definitely something I can consider, since most spurs are machined for accuracy and tight tolerance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Idea!! View Post
very true, and a chassis
We are looking towards the chassis and chassis components (such as upper decks)...