Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Academy GV2 Pro >

Team Academy GV2 Pro

Team Academy GV2 Pro

Old 01-21-2010, 01:29 AM
Tech Adept

Default Team Academy GV2 Pro

Been looking to invest into a 1/10 buggy and I came across this one from what I have seen the front looks like a losi and the rear end is setup like a associated has anyone ran one of these buggys or know of the rep as far as being a good one for durability or would it be better to speend the few extra dollars and invest in the associated or losi xxx-cr

thanks for your replies
Old 01-21-2010, 04:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

i would stay on track with the losi kyosho and ae. just for parts and stuff. im not sure if these cars are good or not, if they compare to the top brands. they look pretty nice and solid. or you can try the tq racing buggy which is very nice and really cheap. made a main at crcrc last weekend.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:13 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kodiakbear7070
Been looking to invest into a 1/10 buggy and I came across this one from what I have seen the front looks like a losi and the rear end is setup like a associated has anyone ran one of these buggys or know of the rep as far as being a good one for durability or would it be better to speend the few extra dollars and invest in the associated or losi xxx-cr

thanks for your replies
Try checking out the Academy thread thats already going. You can find all the info you can imagine on that thread. The guys on that thread will help you out.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...buggy-223.html
Old 01-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kodiakbear7070

thanks for your replies
I don't think I broke a single part on mine all last season... its a stout car. Overall I have been really happy since I switched over to this buggy; it handles, gets the power down, and is consistent as hell. Obviously I'm encouraged to say this kind of stuff because I run for Academy, but results don't lie; I let my old man run my buggy for a race and he cut 4 seconds off his previous fast lap with his FTB4. It's all in the setup.
Honestly, I don't think the Gv2 is any better than the other buggies, but it's not any worse either. They all work when you get them set up right and know how to drive.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I will definitely agree with brandon a! these cars are tough!We have been running ours for 2 years now.They have broken, but just about every break was well deserved.You know things like getting t-boned by an E-1/8 buggy, or doing silly things like trying to clear big jumps you know you may not make.I ran AE cars for 20yrs before switching to Academy rides, and after running them for a couple seasons dont regret the switch at all. As a matter of fact I dont think I would trade my gv2 for 5 b4's!!Well maybe , just so I could sell the B4's and get a few more Academy rides!LOL.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:23 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the replies I realy felt the way you guys did about the buggy from what I seen on youtube and some other sites. Now the servo in these things do they need to be as strong as what I would have in my 1/8 mugen mbx6 nitro im running a hitec 5645 MG
Old 01-22-2010, 06:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

I always like to go with something that has at least 100oz of torque.Should do the trick.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Brandon "Don't call me Brandonna" A did a good job enough with the GV2T to make Tekin's homepage for winning X-Fest last year, and he seems even faster with the GV2 Buggy!

One of the reasons I picked up a few more of these buggies is that they take a really good beating, and my daughters are like there old man, squeeze the trigger through the remote!

As for servo torque and speed, I personally say minimum 80oz or torque and .15 sec transit time on a 2wd buggy.

Only things you will also want to look into for the buggy upon purchase I would say are:

- Carbide or some other hopup diff balls
- don't use stock diff grease
- do the long screw mod (basically, run 4 long screws through 4 present chassis spots, and put a locknut on each, simple)

If you did a truck, same as above plus:

- aluminum front bulkhead (or take out play between hingepins and chassis)
- RTR buggy hexes for stock wheels, or just use AE wheels in rear

Again, pretty simple stuff.

2wdMod also has some slick looking conversions on the way to turn the vehicles into a Mid Motor setup, even an Short Course Conversion for the truck.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Parts?

Where are GV2 owners getting the hard to find parts from these days if MRC doesnt have them in stock? Specifically GV009 Knuckle Arms for example.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:56 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I ran one of these for a season and it was really very good. I took a break from racing and sold my Academy stuff (ran for them that one season). When I returned to racing I knew I wouldn't race very much so I went with more mainstream brands for easy part availability.

If you decide on a XXX-cr, I have an excellent race package for sale. You can check it out in the F/S section.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Davidka
I ran one of these for a season and it was really very good. I took a break from racing and sold my Academy stuff (ran for them that one season). When I returned to racing I knew I wouldn't race very much so I went with more mainstream brands for easy part availability.

If you decide on a XXX-cr, I have an excellent race package for sale. You can check it out in the F/S section.
I wasnt looking for a different car. Just wondering if there is another parts supply besides Stormer or MRC. Foreign is ok. But I can't read Korean websites.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

In 2011-2012, when I was running TQ we were attempting to buy their molds and old parts. They still had a many parts, but you had to get them from Academy directly. I won a Round of the 2012 J Concepts Indoor Series with the Academy stadium truck
Old 01-29-2015, 08:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Where would one go to order fron Academy directly if not MRC?