Wiki Posts
Search

Good 13.5t for XXX-CR and XXX-T

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Good 13.5t for XXX-CR and XXX-T

As the title says, just wondering what a good esc/motor setup is for a XXX-CR and a XXX-T CR

Just picked up 1 of each and was wondering what everyone's ideas were. Please keep in mind i am a newbie at brushless and do not plan on competing but would like something that is comparable to others in case i wanted to jump into an event.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

well, a 13.5 is going to be one slow basher. if i were you, get a quicker motor for bashing, and when you jump into racing, get the 13.5 then. i like lrp items, and tekin makes excellent systems too. the lrp's are expensive and so are the tekins. for motors, just stay away from the novak ballistics, complete junk. trinity (epic), lrp, and tekin motors with a lrp or tekin speed controls.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Tech Addict

I get lost trying to identify which KV = T ?

i.e. how many turns is a 5700kv motor?

The two options that look as if they are in my immediate price range and are suggested for those two vehicles are the: (both runnin 2s lipo)

CSEMMBMAX-CMS6900 - Castle Creations Mamba Max 1/10th Scale Brushless Car Package (6900kV)

or

CSEMMBMAX-CMS5700 - Castle Creations Mamba Max 1/10th Scale Brushless Car Package (5700kV)

Suggestions?
Old 01-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

It depends on the company... different companys have different kv rating for their 13.5 motors(along with others like their 10.5 and so on so forth).
Old 01-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by specc
I get lost trying to identify which KV = T ?

i.e. how many turns is a 5700kv motor?

The two options that look as if they are in my immediate price range and are suggested for those two vehicles are the: (both runnin 2s lipo)

CSEMMBMAX-CMS6900 - Castle Creations Mamba Max 1/10th Scale Brushless Car Package (6900kV)

or

CSEMMBMAX-CMS5700 - Castle Creations Mamba Max 1/10th Scale Brushless Car Package (5700kV)

Suggestions?
dont bother on that stuff, not racing material. it just makes sense buying a 13.5t motor, epics have a ton of torque and power to them, always great motors. basically, the higher kv the more top end but less torque, as a lower kv generally gives more torque and less top end. when dealing with 13.5's i would go for a higher kv motor, like a epic motor.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

the castle motors by there design should actually feel more powerful than a standard 13.5 motor. An explanation of this can be found in the speed passion thread discussing there new Citrix motor.

As for what to go with, I'll be trying out the novak ballistic as well as a speed passion 13.5 V3.0 motor in offroad since that is what I have here.

If you want something cheap to start with, give schumachers speed passion line a look on there website, as I believe they have a 13.5 new right now for like $45 . it may not be the top of the line motor, but, for the money it looks to be a good deal, and its mainly driver that wins the race.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Im in the same boat as you specc. I have yet to make a purchase for my motor, esc. Look up ez run systems. Theres quite a few threads to do your homework with, and alot of the guys I've talked to who run ezrun stuff love em. I think thats what im gonna get. Good luck to ya for im a new as well to the electric scene.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

If you want some thing that is going to work great go with tekin if you just want cheap check out hobbyking... they have some 10.5 brushless motors really cheap... just depends if you want some thing good or some thing cheap.. if you want some thing in the middle get some thing used from the trader boards and if it really rocks get the same set up again for you other car..

Just my 2cents...
Old 01-26-2010, 09:14 PM
Tech Addict

man i am so damn confused ... i get told dont use this / dont use that .. then i talk to another and they suggest the opposite ..

Anyone have any objective information about which esc / motor combo to get ? Or extensive experience with the various companies?
Old 01-27-2010, 04:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by specc
man i am so damn confused ... i get told dont use this / dont use that .. then i talk to another and they suggest the opposite ..

Anyone have any objective information about which esc / motor combo to get ? Or extensive experience with the various companies?

Get a Tekin RS speedo with the hotwire adapter and a 13.5 or 10.5 Trinity Duo 2 or a Novak Ballistic motor. Both motors you can adjust the timing without taking the motor out of the buggy or truck. With the RS speedo you can adjust the speedo (with version 2.3 installed) with the Hotwire and make the 13.5 feel like a 8.5.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:45 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Honestly, you are going to get a variety of opinions from people who have there own experiences, agendas and hangups.

Your best bet is to figure out what are the things you require out of the unit. Examples:

- Long Warranty
- Good Customer service
- Sensored capable
- Cheap price
- Complete package out of box for full tuning
- Turbo boost

ETC

These are a few you can start with and determine if they matter, or don't to you, and how much they matter.

The only suggestion I would make is if you plan to run in a slower spec class like stock, make sure and go with an ESC that has sensored capabilities. Companies like Castle, Novak, Speed Passion, and LRP all offer something that fits that bill.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I am in the same boat as you so I picked up a ekin RS-Pro/13.5t motor combo. It is pricey, but I have never seen a single person say that there is anything wrong with it. No negative remarks that I have found.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by not home
for motors, just stay away from the novak ballistics, complete junk.

That's weird, mine sure run really well for being junk. They run cool and make as much or more power than everyone else seems to, but you're right. Garbage. Barely even functional.

-Eric
Old 01-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by USP45
I am in the same boat as you so I picked up a ekin RS-Pro/13.5t motor combo. It is pricey, but I have never seen a single person say that there is anything wrong with it. No negative remarks that I have found.
In regards to price, i am less worried about that and more worried about getting the right stuff. I would rather spend $400 now on something i dont have to replace later, then $200 now and then $400 later when i find out i purchased the wrong item.

Any other suggestions?