R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree43Likes

Old 10-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #1351
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7tristan View Post
The manual is wrong, I followed the manual and my diff unscrewed itself when you held one wheel. All other classic RM3 have the NUT on the spur side
Not sure what other cars you have run, but every RM3 I have ever built has has the adjusting screw on the spur gear side, just as the 210 does. Is your diff screw engaging the nylon in the diff nut? Or is your thrust possibly binding? The diff should not unscrew itself if everything is built right.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:17 PM   #1352
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChEmDoCtOr View Post
I was playing with an out of box Durango yesterday, man, this thing handles pretty good, and pulling out the diff takes all of 5 seconds! They need a buggy!
Huh? Didn't it just come out?
Old 10-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #1353
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to T-BirdJunkie Send a message via MSN to T-BirdJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5 View Post
Not sure what other cars you have run, but every RM3 I have ever built has has the adjusting screw on the spur gear side, just as the 210 does. Is your diff screw engaging the nylon in the diff nut? Or is your thrust possibly binding? The diff should not unscrew itself if everything is built right.
Losis put it on the left side of their cars with the nut on the spur side so you can adjust it without pulling anything apart.

Well, pre-22 Losis did.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:28 AM   #1354
Tech Master

Few guys already have this buggy now for a short time, and have driven it.
When you have a new buggy of truck it is hard to admit what you do not like about your new car. ( at least thats the case with me and my newly cars )

But I need some honest opinions. what are the downsides of this buggy ?
durability of some parts ? handling wise ?

plz give your honest opinion on this buggy. and help me decide . Buy the dex210?
Old 10-30-2011, 03:24 AM   #1355
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murky123 View Post
When you have a new buggy of truck it is hard to admit what you do not like about your new car. ( at least thats the case with me and my newly cars )

plz give your honest opinion on this buggy. and help me decide . Buy the dex210?
only downside I can find is the weak ballcups. Unfortunatly to swap them out you need to change the ballstud as well since they're a unique size. In all honesty though my car handles and steers better than any 2wd buggy I've ever driven. It's not a car for a noob by any means, lots of adjustments in this car and the manual doesn't really tell you much about them. If you don't pay attention or know what you're doing you'll just dial yourself out.

All in all though I really like this car
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:18 AM   #1356
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default 2nd Race Report - Box sTock DEX210

Hey Everyone,

I have more good news from Leisure Hours Raceway in Joliet, IL. As I mentioned in an earlier post I had only intended to practice with this new buggy and it was so planted I couldn't help but decide to race with it. That was last Wednesday.

Well yesterday I decided to stay focused on buggy, while going though the shocks and diffs on my DESC410r. All I can say is wow this buggy is truly amazing.....and I decided to let other talented buggy drivers most of which now drive 22's give it a go and here is what they said. Jim Anderson -"I can drive this car way harder than my 22. It's really planted. I'd like to race this in the main next week". Jim is one of the very talented locals who has been racing a 22 for the last few months and does well with it.....he was really surprised how well the buggy handled right out of the box. Unfortunately I'm not comfortable quoting some of the other drivers because some of them have sponsorships and I just want them and everyone else to know I appreciate the kind words.

Durability: I have to admit while I try to pride myself with being pretty consistent and relatively smooth, I did have a few run-ins with the tubes and uh.....maybe even a few cartwheels!!! No broken parts and only one turnbuckle popped off that was completely my fault after hitting the guy that spun out directly in front of me and the tube at the same time pretty hard.

If anyone is curious about this buggy, just drive one and you'll see. One of the other guys at my track Brian "Bri from Chi" has this same buggy and has his set up a bit more aggressively and he does really well with his too...

If anyone has any questions or can make it out to Leisure Hours come on out and feel free drive it yourself.

Check out my "YouTube" channel
www.youtube.com/shortcourseworld
Jason Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #1357
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:

Hi Murky,

As I noted in an earlier post and I'm sure Ray Kindstrom can attest, I've never really race buggy too much. I had a B4.1 and raced it maybe 5-6 times and I felt like I struggled driving that buggy. Obviously it has several world championships under its belt, so it must've been a driver issue.

My DEX210 is literally night and day from most buggies I have driven especially out of the box. Normally out of the box set ups are decent at best. I'm blown away at how planted my REAR Motor 3 Gear set up is. If you take your time when going through the manual and assemble it exactly as is you should be ok...I race on a high bite clay surface. However Matt has a good point...what makes some of these higher end race buggies better is the never ending adjustability. So I can imagine that it wouldn't be very hard to dial the buggy out.

Here is something to consider. This buggy has a great out of box set up, there will always be set up sheets and driver support from Team Durango and other team members like me, and Cush (Jonny5's brother although Jonny5 does his set ups.). If you decide to get on the DEX210 bandwagon feel free to PM me anytime. There are other good cars out there but I feel like this one's the best....I believe even Matt said it's the best buggy he's ever driven.

Check out my "YouTube" channel
www.youtube.com/shortcourseworld
Jason Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #1358
Tech Master

thanks for your opinion.

may I ask what kinda soil you run on?
I have to drive outdoors on a hard packed clay track 1/10 scale.
very tecnical layout with carpet on the jumps
the grip wil be medium, no blue groove
trough the season the track can be wet, dusty/dry and sometime blownout

on this track I now run a losi 22 and find it somewhat unpredictable ( rear motor setup )

edit: to give you an idea on the track I run. ( and yeah Im an shortcourse guy hahaha )
http://youtu.be/5QdryhSjmDg?hd=1
Old 10-30-2011, 10:09 AM   #1359
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 147 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Snyder View Post
Hi Murky,

As I noted in an earlier post and I'm sure Ray Kindstrom can attest, I've never really race buggy too much. I had a B4.1 and raced it maybe 5-6 times and I felt like I struggled driving that buggy. Obviously it has several world championships under its belt, so it must've been a driver issue.

My DEX210 is literally night and day from most buggies I have driven especially out of the box. Normally out of the box set ups are decent at best. I'm blown away at how planted my REAR Motor 3 Gear set up is. If you take your time when going through the manual and assemble it exactly as is you should be ok...I race on a high bite clay surface. However Matt has a good point...what makes some of these higher end race buggies better is the never ending adjustability. So I can imagine that it wouldn't be very hard to dial the buggy out.

Here is something to consider. This buggy has a great out of box set up, there will always be set up sheets and driver support from Team Durango and other team members like me, and Cush (Jonny5's brother although Jonny5 does his set ups.). If you decide to get on the DEX210 bandwagon feel free to PM me anytime. There are other good cars out there but I feel like this one's the best....I believe even Matt said it's the best buggy he's ever driven.
Let's see...how to say this.....

The 210 is like so many other 2wd buggys. It has the rear traction like the old Losi buggy, it has steering like the AE buggy, it is as stable as the TQ buggy and it's as durable as the Tamiya buggy. So it seems ,to me anyway, that Durango really did their homework.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #1360
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I will add I tried other 2wd buggys and just couldnt get the hang of it. Im a 4wd guy.

And this buggy is planted, I can make it around without hitting pipes etc. I just have to improve my driving and get smoother.

And its super durable, I cant believe I havent broke anything yet. Only issue is the ballcups, not a big deal. And if u drive right their not a issue.

So with all the adjustments and so on, its the best buggy out there IMO. And cant beat the price.
Authorized Dealer for /Agama / Tekno / Team Associated / Schelle / Hobbywing / PT Racing Shock & Diff oil / Serpent / Tekin / JConcepts / AKA / Proline / Savox / M2C / Picco / Raceform Jigs/ Proamps Servos-Lipos www.fiercercsolutions.com Like us on facebook www.facebook.com/FierceRCSolutions
FastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #1361
Tech Regular

Looking to improve on power traction on a wet astro track,

Reduce anti squat, softer rear spring?

Already running 4 degree toe in and so forth, mm4 gear box, etc
mikeyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #1362
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyscott View Post
Looking to improve on power traction on a wet astro track,

Reduce anti squat, softer rear spring?

Already running 4 degree toe in and so forth, mm4 gear box, etc
for me, more antisquat has always yielded more onpower rear traction while letting the rear pivot better off power
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #1363
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Wish I would have read this thread before my build. Built my buggy Thursday night left for racing friday. I spent all of practice taking the tranny part. The diff would loosen its self up. I did what the manuel said word for word. To sum it up a local read on here were one of the washers for the thurst balls is a touch wider than the other. I missed all of practice and first Quailfier but buggy was fun to drive after that.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:20 PM   #1364
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default Update

If you have been following along with my journey through DEX210 ownership, I have an update...

This buggy is awesome. I have great steering, on and off power now thanks to some lighter shock oil and a shock piston change, it is doing exactly what I want it to and more importantly, WHERE I want it to.

This car has a huge confidence building effect, so much so that I was going for the bigger jumps (double, rather than two singles) since I can carry more speed around the corner, but I nosed it in and flipped over pretty fast and broke the rear shock tower.

Anyone else think the front bumper could deflect a bit better rather than just "stick" a bad nose down landing?

Took a bit to find the right setup FOR ME, but I got it and others are looking at the car and telling me it is "stuck", "planted" and "looks smooth" on a regular basis. Pretty cool given that the comments are from 22, B4 and Kyosho buggy drivers...
sparkwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:48 PM   #1365
Tech Elite

Quote:

So far the durability has been great. Cush has popped a few ball cups off, but better a popped ball cup than a broken hub or something. He had a few tumbles today that made me very nervous, but no breakages yet. He eventually settled in with the car- only his 3rd time driving it and 2nd raceday- and qualified 2nd before going on to win the A-main. Cush was running the RM4 setup and never lacked for traction, and looked smoother driving it than he did last week with the RM3.

No doubt the rear end/trans area is more involved than other cars I've seen (AE, Losi, Kyosho, Tamiya). However, in exchange for a slightly more difficult assembly process you get hands-down the most adjustable car on the market. With only a few different (but included) parts the car can be setup in one of four motor configurations, plus all of the chassis adjustments that can be made by simply swapping a few inserts rather than changing caster blocks, hubs, and/or axles.

Simply put, TD hit a home run with this buggy. Look no further if you're in the market for a new buggy- the 210 won't disappoint.