R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree24Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-22-2014, 07:20 AM   #13426
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,520
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I've got the 8.5T version of this in one of my vintage cars and it has been a very good motor. For just bashing, the price is perfect. I'd buy another.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_2600Kv.html
__________________
Follow my rc products on Facebook at Raborn Racing Originals and the line of 3D printed parts at
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/rebellionrc
fredswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:29 AM   #13427
Tech Elite
 
EbbTide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bay Area, Ca
Posts: 2,495
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethebuggy View Post
Thank, I actually didn't think about the parts breaking... I guess I will be for the option you gave me

Do you think those motors are OK? I mean, the can seems like open some holes here and there, will the dirt damage it?? Or they are for off road cars...

If you can find these Speed Passion v3 motors online for sale, they should work well. They are a near solid can aside from the end bell where there are small cut-outs to allow for timing changes. In the U.S. it's pretty easy to get ahold of these, but not sure where you are capable of ordering from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speed-Passio...item1c3b671fd5
__________________
::: Tekno EB48SL ::: HPI Blitz ::: Kyosho RB5 SP2 WC :::Team Durango DEX210 v2 ::: Team Durango ExoDex210 :::Tamiya TB03r/TRF418-ish :::
EbbTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:52 AM   #13428
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 99
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I just got one of these for mine, 9.5t for $50 and comes with the sensor wire. Pretty smooth running and very quick.

http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...y&path=112_102
__________________
Wraith
Gelande II D90
Losi 8ight Mini T
Vintage RC10 Worlds Car
Surgetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:00 AM   #13429
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq06 View Post
I agree ^^ stay with the 13.5 so you don't hit things as fast. Also if you change from a 13.5 you will need to change your gearing and with not having a hobby store near you... that will be a pain ordering gears and waiting to get them.

You will need to clean out the motor more often with a vented can. You can tape the holes up, those holes help with heat so watch your temps and change gearing accordingly to stay at or below 160.
Viper makes a sealed can motor that would work well and there are a bunch of others as well. What online store do you order from?
I never order from an online hobby store, i bought the dex210 from ebay... I was looking at some turnigys that claim to be waterproof but they are all sensorless...

I might go for a complete package just in case, i mean, ESC and motor, something a little faster... I never hit things, i try to play in really open areas so the crashes are at a minimum...

What do ou think? If i go for a faster motor, what should i do with the gearing?? So i can order all at once and have less wait
lovethebuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:02 AM   #13430
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbbTide View Post
If you can find these Speed Passion v3 motors online for sale, they should work well. They are a near solid can aside from the end bell where there are small cut-outs to allow for timing changes. In the U.S. it's pretty easy to get ahold of these, but not sure where you are capable of ordering from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speed-Passio...item1c3b671fd5
Thanks again for the help, if i go for a 9.5t what should i do with the gearing??
lovethebuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #13431
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Austria
Posts: 581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredswain View Post
Does anyone here actually have the new gear case? I'd like to know the distance between the new camber link locations as measured from each other right to left. I know what I hope they are but I want to see if it matches reality. If not I'll just make my own plate and cut off the originals.
Today my spare parts arrived!
As promised, here the measurements:
From the inner hole to the outer hole, it is 5mm and from the outer to the outer, it is 48mm.
__________________
Greetings from Austria

Cat K2 / DEX410V3 / DEX410V5 / DEX210 / DEX210F / Cougar SVR /
YZ-10 '94/'95 WCS/
Spectrum DX3R
micholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:39 AM   #13432
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Punxsutawney, Pa
Posts: 521
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethebuggy View Post
Thanks again for the help, if i go for a 9.5t what should i do with the gearing??
I'm using an 8.5 and run 81/26 with never even getting warm
cripplethreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:47 AM   #13433
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cripplethreat View Post
I'm using an 8.5 and run 81/26 with never even getting warm
And how is the speed with that gearing? With the 13.5t and stock gearing 81/29 it is pretty slow, it accelerates pretty fast (i guess) but it stay actually slow...
lovethebuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #13434
Tech Champion
 
fq06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,628
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

If you run in an open space, then get a fast motor like cripplethreat is using. I run 17.5 so can't help on gearing but he just gave you his gearing. Get a couple pinions in that range like 24, 25 & 26 so you don't have to order again if a 25 is not right for you. All motors are a little different and where you drive it will determine correct gearing. Gearing for an open lot will be different than for a track.

I don't look for waterproof anything for a RC car... water is the enemy. Bearings hate it, screws rust, electronics like you found out really hate water. Also just because the ESC says waterproof, that doesn't mean the servo or motor is waterproof. If what you happen to get is waterproof, fine but don't make your buying decision on it being waterproof.
__________________
BCE SCT410 / Hobbywing 3656sd ~ RX8.2
DEX210 / Trinity 17.5 ~ RS.2
Westcoast Raceway (R.I.P.) | SMC | PowerLab
fq06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #13435
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Punxsutawney, Pa
Posts: 521
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethebuggy View Post
And how is the speed with that gearing? With the 13.5t and stock gearing 81/29 it is pretty slow, it accelerates pretty fast (i guess) but it stay actually slow...
It's not slow.. I'm slow because I'm new to it but for the track I run it's fast enough.
cripplethreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:17 PM   #13436
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq06 View Post
If you run in an open space, then get a fast motor like cripplethreat is using. I run 17.5 so can't help on gearing but he just gave you his gearing. Get a couple pinions in that range like 24, 25 & 26 so you don't have to order again if a 25 is not right for you. All motors are a little different and where you drive it will determine correct gearing. Gearing for an open lot will be different than for a track.

I don't look for waterproof anything for a RC car... water is the enemy. Bearings hate it, screws rust, electronics like you found out really hate water. Also just because the ESC says waterproof, that doesn't mean the servo or motor is waterproof. If what you happen to get is waterproof, fine but don't make your buying decision on it being waterproof.
Thanks a lot, you are right, I shouldn't even consider water remotely close again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cripplethreat View Post
It's not slow.. I'm slow because I'm new to it but for the track I run it's fast enough.
That's nice to hear! I will be getting some spurs and pinions and take a look to see what is best
lovethebuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #13437
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,520
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by micholix View Post
Today my spare parts arrived!
As promised, here the measurements:
From the inner hole to the outer hole, it is 5mm and from the outer to the outer, it is 48mm.
Awesome! Thank you. Now I need to go compare those numbers to my notes.
__________________
Follow my rc products on Facebook at Raborn Racing Originals and the line of 3D printed parts at
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/rebellionrc
fredswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #13438
Tech Elite
 
EbbTide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bay Area, Ca
Posts: 2,495
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethebuggy View Post
Thanks a lot, you are right, I shouldn't even consider water remotely close again...



That's nice to hear! I will be getting some spurs and pinions and take a look to see what is best
That's a great start. I think Novak makes pinion packs where it comes with a variety of pinions, like five different pinions or so. It usually saves you a few dollars compared to buying them separately.
__________________
::: Tekno EB48SL ::: HPI Blitz ::: Kyosho RB5 SP2 WC :::Team Durango DEX210 v2 ::: Team Durango ExoDex210 :::Tamiya TB03r/TRF418-ish :::
EbbTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #13439
Tech Fanatic
 
Konich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 972
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Has anyone noticed if you run your electronics down the "middle" (servo, reciever, shorty pack, then ESC) of the rear motor car it behaves alot more like the Mid-Motor?
__________________
Tresrey Spec DEX410 - Yaiba Spec B5M
Konich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #13440
Tech Elite
 
EbbTide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bay Area, Ca
Posts: 2,495
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konich View Post
Has anyone noticed if you run your electronics down the "middle" (servo, reciever, shorty pack, then ESC) of the rear motor car it behaves alot more like the Mid-Motor?
It makes sense as you are centralizing the load. Sounds like an intriguing thing to try out.
__________________
::: Tekno EB48SL ::: HPI Blitz ::: Kyosho RB5 SP2 WC :::Team Durango DEX210 v2 ::: Team Durango ExoDex210 :::Tamiya TB03r/TRF418-ish :::
EbbTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
St Ives RC Club B4Bandit Australian Racing 16564 08-19-2017 05:06 AM
EPMTs check in here. (a subsidiary of TNT) overtki11 Singapore R/C Racers 55470 05-07-2017 11:57 PM
Team Durango DEX410 ASH93A Australian Racing 925 04-08-2013 09:51 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:02 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net