Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree26Likes

Old 06-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #11491
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tdiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by elex300 View Post
Hi guys, Im doing some research on mid motor cars. Can someone explain or point me in the right direction to info on differences between 3 gear vs 4 gear tranny for mid motor.
I love my car in MM3 on every track. I usually race indoor clay and grip tends to be very high. I found MM4 made the front lift while under power.
MM3 made the car much less prone to wheelie and instead provided a very high amount of steering. You can get on the gas much sooner with this as the front tires are essentially being pressed into the track while on the gas.

I posted this photo from a book about the technology used in MOTOGP and point this picture makes applies to our cars. Notice the direction the motors crank rotates and the reaction of the front of the bikes. Our cars do the same thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Durango DEX210 Thread-spin.jpg  
Old 06-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #11492
Tech Adept

My motor in around 100 degrees C, and i need a fan on my motor, who is attached/in contact with the motor can.
Have searched alot, but cannot find any.....

For my DEX210, of course
Finken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #11493
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finken View Post
My motor in around 100 degrees C, and i need a fan on my motor, who is attached/in contact with the motor can.

For my DEX210, of course
What motor and gearing are you running? I think there is something wrong with either one or maybe binding in your gearbox to get 100 degress C in a 2wd..
One time over 90 degreesC is enough to destroy a motor.. I never see over 50C in my DEX210
KYOSHO INFERNO GT2, ST-RR VE, TURBO OPTIMA, OPTIMA MID LWB, ULTIMA +++
ridgeracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #11494
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finken View Post

For my DEX210, of course
What pinion/spur (number of teeth) are you using and how is the mesh between the two gears? There should be some space between the two (some say enough space that you could place a piece of paper between them). If that is good, there has to be some binding in the drivetrain. Remove the motor and spin the spur with your fingers; does it spin freely?
Kyosho RB6 | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 3 9.5 | Hitec 7940
Schumacher SX3 Pro | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 2 8.5 | Hitec 7940
madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #11495
Tech Rookie

Hi, I'm Kelly. I've been into RC for a long time... but I'm a noob again. Things have changed quite a bit as I've clearly seen by my digging. When I was into it, the internet didn't exist... thus, everything you could learn was from magazines or your local track.

Now at 44 years old, I'm getting back into it.

The reason I'm posting here is because my re-entry is going to be with the DEX210. I've read enough about it to believe that it's a pretty good starting point.

A list of the cars in my history, in order: (lots of tamiya here, love to bash em...)
Tamiya Frog
Cox Scorpion
Tamiya Grasshopper (still a favorite basher), Hornet, Thundershot, Falcon, Egress, Astute (very obscure, but a kick butt car actually), Nissan thingy... fun to thrash... ,custom framed & lengthened clod buster with alum gears & dual 6T cobalt motors, a bearhawk.. the original Lancia Rally & Brat... bla bla. It's all my hobby place had...
Yokomo YZsomething (4wd)
The first Associated RC10
the 2nd
the first Associated RC10T
3 other RC10's, one MID custom done by me.

Exactly 20 years ago was my last racing year then life took over. I raced stock for many many years and was one of the front runners locally with my RC10. It ran a stealth tranny & long front towers (made by me) with rear shocks up front as well.

I'm not a pro or anything, just someone who loved this long ago... and still do.

A bit more about me:

My daugher & I race go karts here. She's now 14 and the other day after attending a Lucas Oil Offroad championship race, she comes to me & shows me her wad of money. She's saved enough to buy a real RC car.

2 days ago, we walked out of the hobby shop after purchasing her first car... the Associated SC10 with CHANGE no less, a huge grin on her face... just like me, 30 years ago, when I was 14.

20 runs in for her... and she's not broken it and drives quite well.

Tomorrow, I'll pick up my DEX210... and it's time to throw down again.

Any tips are welcome.

Anyway, Hi.

A returning racer... but now a noob.

Kelly Wood
Kelly Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #11496
ekt
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Wood View Post
Hi, I'm Kelly. I've been into RC for a long time... but I'm a noob again. Things have changed quite a bit as I've clearly seen by my digging. When I was into it, the internet didn't exist... thus, everything you could learn was from magazines or your local track.

Now at 44 years old, I'm getting back into it.

The reason I'm posting here is because my re-entry is going to be with the DEX210. I've read enough about it to believe that it's a pretty good starting point.

A list of the cars in my history, in order: (lots of tamiya here, love to bash em...)
Tamiya Frog
Cox Scorpion
Tamiya Grasshopper (still a favorite basher), Hornet, Thundershot, Falcon, Egress, Astute (very obscure, but a kick butt car actually), Nissan thingy... fun to thrash... ,custom framed & lengthened clod buster with alum gears & dual 6T cobalt motors, a bearhawk.. the original Lancia Rally & Brat... bla bla. It's all my hobby place had...
Yokomo YZsomething (4wd)
The first Associated RC10
the 2nd
the first Associated RC10T
3 other RC10's, one MID custom done by me.

Exactly 20 years ago was my last racing year then life took over. I raced stock for many many years and was one of the front runners locally with my RC10. It ran a stealth tranny & long front towers (made by me) with rear shocks up front as well.

I'm not a pro or anything, just someone who loved this long ago... and still do.

A bit more about me:

My daugher & I race go karts here. She's now 14 and the other day after attending a Lucas Oil Offroad championship race, she comes to me & shows me her wad of money. She's saved enough to buy a real RC car.

2 days ago, we walked out of the hobby shop after purchasing her first car... the Associated SC10 with CHANGE no less, a huge grin on her face... just like me, 30 years ago, when I was 14.

20 runs in for her... and she's not broken it and drives quite well.

Tomorrow, I'll pick up my DEX210... and it's time to throw down again.

Any tips are welcome.

Anyway, Hi.

A returning racer... but now a noob.

Kelly Wood
Welcome back to the hobby.
I would recommend downloading the online manual as there are a couple small errors in the printed manual http://www.team-durango.com/pdf/manu...n%20Manual.pdf.
Also check out Team Durango's Tech Tips for quick guides and different setups http://www.team-durango.com/in-the-p...rticle_id=4472. PetitRC also has tips and setups http://www.petitrc.com/setup/durango...ngoDEX210.html
A list of option/aftermarket parts can be found here http://durangofansite.com/DEX210aftermarket.html
Old 06-28-2013, 06:07 AM   #11497
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekt View Post
Welcome back to the hobby.
I would recommend downloading the online manual as there are a couple small errors in the printed manual http://www.team-durango.com/pdf/manu...n%20Manual.pdf.
Also check out Team Durango's Tech Tips for quick guides and different setups http://www.team-durango.com/in-the-p...rticle_id=4472. PetitRC also has tips and setups http://www.petitrc.com/setup/durango...ngoDEX210.html
A list of option/aftermarket parts can be found here http://durangofansite.com/DEX210aftermarket.html
I would watch the video for building the diff. It really explains the C Clip and how it should be installed. Important to get the clip installed in the right direction so if you watch the video first you will have zero problems with the diff. That was one of the first things I did. Never had a problem with my diff from day one. The other thing when I built mine was when threading the camber links and steering links thread them in and out a few times to loosen them up as they fit tight on the link and will pop off easily. I just threaded mine with a 3mm screw and just added a little grease to them and ran it in a few times. It really helped and I have not had a problem with them coming off. Rest of the kit isn't too bad. Just go slow and watch when you add you shims for toe in and caster as it is very easy to put them in wrong. I took extra time in that area and didn't have a problem.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #11498
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Just finished rebuilding my buggy with the new DIMEC "B" +8.. First race tonite, we'll see how she does!
SOuthernFRIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #11499
Tech Master

double post

Last edited by SOuthernFRIED; 06-29-2013 at 12:46 PM.
SOuthernFRIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #11500
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Just wondering what motor configuration you guys prefer and why. I am currently running rm3 on a medium bite track.
durangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #11501
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

How many of you guys are running the ackerman plate on the bottom of the arms versus on the top?
durangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #11502
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by durangoman View Post
Just wondering what motor configuration you guys prefer and why. I am currently running rm3 on a medium bite track.
I prefer mm4 over rm3. I ran rm3 for about a year and then saw a mm4 car run and how well it turned, I had to try it. I run my desc210 mm4 as well and both cars turn on a dime. It all depends on what you are used to.
mulepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #11503
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I moved out to Okinawa Japan a few months back and a small outdoor track just opened up. I want to get another 2wd buggy to run and the Durango is about the only one I havent tried yet. They run 13.5 only and I dont have one (5.5-8.5 and 17.5). I dont want to drop a bunch of money in case it doesnt take off but I dont want to cheap out either. I was going to grab the kit until I noticed the RTR had the cab forward body and composite chassis which were things I'd already added to the cart for the kit.

I wouldnt run any of the electronics with the possible exception of the motor. Other than an aluminum ackerman plate, are there any other must haves for the RTR (I've been sifting through the tread but havent found the differences between the 2 vehicles other than the chassis, gear diff, and body.
Kyosho RB6 | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 3 9.5 | Hitec 7940
Schumacher SX3 Pro | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 2 8.5 | Hitec 7940
madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #11504
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tdiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madweazl View Post
I moved out to Okinawa Japan a few months back and a small outdoor track just opened up. I want to get another 2wd buggy to run and the Durango is about the only one I havent tried yet. They run 13.5 only and I dont have one (5.5-8.5 and 17.5). I dont want to drop a bunch of money in case it doesnt take off but I dont want to cheap out either. I was going to grab the kit until I noticed the RTR had the cab forward body and composite chassis which were things I'd already added to the cart for the kit.

I wouldnt run any of the electronics with the possible exception of the motor. Other than an aluminum ackerman plate, are there any other must haves for the RTR (I've been sifting through the tread but havent found the differences between the 2 vehicles other than the chassis, gear diff, and body.

The RTR car is the same as the kit. The only thing you will need to change is this the plate on the steering and your rear shock tower. The rest of the car is good to go. For the rear shock tower in the steering plate I personally recommend Tresrey carbon.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #11505
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

The kit car has the aluminum chassis