Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree26Likes

Old 04-28-2013, 05:24 AM   #10996
ekt
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjunky1 View Post
Has anyone run the STRC dex210 parts yet? I managed to get the cream front carbon tower through Tresrey but I can no longer get there stuff through my LHS, so I want a matching carbon rear tower since the tresrey one I ordered won't show any more. They call it 4mm graphite, is it carbon fiber or something else?
You can order Cream stuff directly from the maker here http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104735 (he's located in the UK). I've got a list of the other options available here http://durangofansite.com/DEX210aftermarket.html
Old 04-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #10997
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjunky1 View Post
Has anyone run the STRC dex210 parts yet? I managed to get the cream front carbon tower through Tresrey but I can no longer get there stuff through my LHS, so I want a matching carbon rear tower since the tresrey one I ordered won't show any more. They call it 4mm graphite, is it carbon fiber or something else?
STRC towers appear to be made from carbon fiber, Graphite is in most cases a reference to carbon fiber, carbon=graphite. Im sure the quality will be the same as any other CF tower.

Velocity R/C Magazine - vrcmag.com
Rob Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #10998
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Phillips View Post
STRC towers appear to be made from carbon fiber, Graphite is in most cases a reference to carbon fiber, carbon=graphite. Im sure the quality will be the same as any other CF tower.
And by carbon fiber, most mean thermoset carbon fiber composite. Most of the "plastic" is also "carbon fiber" but of the thermoplastic variety with a different matrix.
gticlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #10999
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I guess I should of been a bit more clear. I work at a hobby store and its suggested to run stuff we can get and we can no longer get tresrey. Sounds like the general consensus is the strc stuff is carbon, and the design is nothing new so I'll order that up and see how it is.
Great Hobbies, Hobbico, Skyrc, Exotek
rcjunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #11000
Tech Regular

ive heard that Durango is coming out with a new car can anyone confirm or deny this ,also does anyone know the difference in length between the stock alum chassis for the buggy and the stadium truck chassis thnx.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #11001
Tech Elite

Durango don't change much on their design mostly just an improvement that's why I like them.

Visaliahobbies.com * SkyRC * casterracingparts.com
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #11002
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
And by carbon fiber, most mean thermoset carbon fiber composite. Most of the "plastic" is also "carbon fiber" but of the thermoplastic variety with a different matrix.
Ok, if we intend to educate...

Here's an except from the Wiki...

Carbon-fiber-reinforced polymer, carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic or carbon-fiber reinforced thermoplastic (CFRP, CRP, CFRTP or often simply carbon fiber), is an extremely strong and light fiber-reinforced polymer which contains carbon fibers. The polymer is most often epoxy, but other polymers, such as polyester, vinyl ester or nylon, are sometimes used. The composite may contain other fibers, such as aramid e.g. Kevlar, Twaron, aluminium, or glass fibers, as well as carbon fiber. The strongest and most expensive of these additives, carbon nanotubes, are contained in some primarily polymer baseball bats, car parts and even golf clubs[1] where economically viable. Carbon fiber is commonly used in the transportation industry; normally in cars, boats and trains.

Although carbon fiber can be relatively expensive, it has many applications in aerospace and automotive fields, such as Formula One. The compound is also used in sailboats, rowing shells, modern bicycles, and motorcycles, where its high strength-to-weight ratio and very good rigidity is of importance. Improved manufacturing techniques are reducing the costs and time to manufacture, making it increasingly common in small consumer goods as well, such as certain ThinkPads since the 600 series, tripods, fishing rods, hockey sticks, paintball equipment, archery equipment, tent poles, racquet frames, stringed instrument bodies, drum shells, golf clubs, helmets used as a paragliding accessory and pool/billiards/snooker cues.

The material is also referred to as graphite-reinforced polymer or graphite fiber-reinforced polymer (GFRP is less common, as it clashes with glass-(fiber)-reinforced polymer). In product advertisements, it is sometimes referred to simply as graphite or fiber for short.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #11003
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blingy View Post
ive heard that Durango is coming out with a new car can anyone confirm or deny this ,also does anyone know the difference in length between the stock alum chassis for the buggy and the stadium truck chassis thnx.
Yes, I can confirm Durango is releasing a new car...

Sneak Peak

Old 04-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #11004
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blingy View Post
The DEST-210 doesn't not use an aluminum chassis, but instead uses the Dimec chassis.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #11005
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

That touring car will most likely be at the nats this coming weekend! I'll see if i can get some pix of it. Ive seen some pix already and it looks good.
2SlowTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #11006
Tech Elite

Quote:
Ok, if we intend to educate...

Here's an except from the Wiki...

Carbon-fiber-reinforced polymer, carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic or carbon-fiber reinforced thermoplastic (CFRP, CRP, CFRTP or often simply carbon fiber), is an extremely strong and light fiber-reinforced polymer which contains carbon fibers. The polymer is most often epoxy, but other polymers, such as polyester, vinyl ester or nylon, are sometimes used. The composite may contain other fibers, such as aramid e.g. Kevlar, Twaron, aluminium, or glass fibers, as well as carbon fiber. The strongest and most expensive of these additives, carbon nanotubes, are contained in some primarily polymer baseball bats, car parts and even golf clubs[1] where economically viable. Carbon fiber is commonly used in the transportation industry; normally in cars, boats and trains.

Although carbon fiber can be relatively expensive, it has many applications in aerospace and automotive fields, such as Formula One. The compound is also used in sailboats, rowing shells, modern bicycles, and motorcycles, where its high strength-to-weight ratio and very good rigidity is of importance. Improved manufacturing techniques are reducing the costs and time to manufacture, making it increasingly common in small consumer goods as well, such as certain ThinkPads since the 600 series, tripods, fishing rods, hockey sticks, paintball equipment, archery equipment, tent poles, racquet frames, stringed instrument bodies, drum shells, golf clubs, helmets used as a paragliding accessory and pool/billiards/snooker cues.

The material is also referred to as graphite-reinforced polymer or graphite fiber-reinforced polymer (GFRP is less common, as it clashes with glass-(fiber)-reinforced polymer). In product advertisements, it is sometimes referred to simply as graphite or fiber for short.
Yep, and maybe we should edit to add "and most RC cars"
Old 04-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #11007
Tech Elite

Quote:
The DEST-210 doesn't not use an aluminum chassis, but instead uses the Dimec chassis.
Is there any "plastic" chassis available for the 410 or planned for it? I'm getting ready to switch brands, likely to Durango, and want to get the latest setups from the start. Also, is there a version of the 210 coming out with the +8 chassis/body already with it?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:20 PM   #11008
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Yes, I can confirm Durango is releasing a new car...

Sneak Peak
Well played sir...
Futaba | Strictly R/C- Norridge, IL
Thank you all for the help and support!
Jonny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #11009
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I believe the rtr has the +8 chassis and body. Correct me if I'm wrong but the +8 chassis on amain says it the stock replacment for the rtr.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #11010
Tech Elite

yes, the rtr has the +8mm diec chassis and body, and the gear diff, but is missing the idler gears, pin, bearings and shims to run 4 gear, but is otherwise the same as the kit if I'm not mistaken (not positive on the RR pivot, might be plastic)
Great Hobbies, Hobbico, Skyrc, Exotek
rcjunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote