R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree23Likes

Old 12-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #9001
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Anyone happen to have a link to some good starting setups for the dex210 on a large track with medium traction. I keep tring to view the ones on the durango site from the team drivers but for some reason my computer freezes up mid download on them repeatedly and I can't view them. Also what is the transmission ratio, looking for a good starting spur gear for 17.5 on a track with a 140ft straight but some technical as well.
WideOpenThrottle RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #9002
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WideOpenThrottle RC View Post
Anyone happen to have a link to some good starting setups for the dex210 on a large track with medium traction. I keep tring to view the ones on the durango site from the team drivers but for some reason my computer freezes up mid download on them repeatedly and I can't view them. Also what is the transmission ratio, looking for a good starting spur gear for 17.5 on a track with a 140ft straight but some technical as well.
Here you go.

http://www.petitrc.com/setup/durango...ngoDEX210.html
zipperfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #9003
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperfoot View Post
Thanks lot's of good info, can anyone tell me what spring rates are included in the kit as well as spur size?
Old 12-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #9004
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw addict View Post
Im running carpet and we run mini pin (blue) rear, and mini spike and stagger rib fronts depending on your setup
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplesix View Post
I consider myself beeing of one of the "carpet guys"
and in our place we're running Schumacher Mini Pin yellow compound (med. inserts) rear and yellow low profile Cut Stagger in front, most of the time. DBoots Nanobyte and Blockpath are quite popular as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
Sean, everyone running 1/10 buggies at Universal run Schumacher Mini Pins Yellow and Stagger Cut Low Profile Yellow. Inserts vary from open cell medium to closed cell firm -- personal preference. I wouldn't recommend any road-style tire for the 1/10 buggies. In fact, those guys running the road tires on the E-Buggies are not the fastest guys, the fast guys run Mini Pins or Mini Spikes.
Thanks guys. Been so long since I ran carpet. The local club didn't allow pins back in the day so I used to run foams on my Losi JRX2. I guess I just dated myself there.

Hey MacLean, anybody try foams at Universal or is the track to hard on them? (chunking and ripping) Gonna order some Shumacher mini-pins and stagger cuts regardless, I was just curious. Thanks for the help.

Sean
Radi0Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #9005
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

87tooth spur, you will want a 69 or a 72 for 17.5. Springs are dark blue 3.50 lb/in, light blue 1.85 lb/in.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #9006
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WideOpenThrottle RC View Post
Thanks lot's of good info, can anyone tell me what spring rates are included in the kit as well as spur size?
Got this from the PetitRC link.... under "Parts List" Link for the DEX210:

http://www.petitrc.com/setup/durango..._PartsList.pdf

TD310020 SPUR GEAR 87T (48DP)
TD330137 BIG BORE SHOCK SPRINGS: 45mm DARK BLUE (62gf/mm)(2pcs)
TD330151 BIG BORE SHOCK SPRINGS: 65mm LIGHT BLUE (32gf/mm)(2pcs)

Also, just for your info, the RTR version comes with an 81T Spur and a 29T Pinion.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #9007
Tech Elite

Thanks guys, saw the parts after I looked back on petit , looks like I have the option of 75 or 69 spur from amain. Fellow racer runs 69/34 on his associated so I'll probably go the 69 spur route and gear the pinion a little more conservatively than his b4.1 and check temps.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #9008
ajj
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I run 69/34 with a SP 17.5MMM which works well most places. I think the smallest pinion you'll be able to mesh with the 69 spur is a 30 tooth from memory.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #9009
Tech Master

Local hobby shop owner told me that the Durango distributor (great planes?) raised prices to retail outlets 20%, But expects shops to not raise their prices. So basically they are expecting the local shop owners to eat the difference. No wonder no one stocks Durango around here.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #9010
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yup this actually happened a while ago. Shops were supposed to raise their prices on their Durango stock too, so profit margins would stay the same. They want to become a premium brand like say kyosho. The problem is Durango doesn't exactly have a name for itself among the rest of the rc community to pull that off. So unless Durango stuff is popular at your LHS, its bad business to even stock it. Larger initial investment to sit on hoping it sells, makes for risky business. Also what they didn't tell you was Great Planes is trying really hard to get LHS to carry Durango stuff, deals like extremely cheap kits for stores to try and gain some popularity. There logic is seriously flawed though in how there going about it I think.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #9011
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

the prices went up so they can do more development and offer us better cars, I can't complain, especially if the local store stocks everything for them.
Great Hobbies, Hobbico, Skyrc, Exotek
rcjunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #9012
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjunky1 View Post
the prices went up so they can do more development and offer us better cars, I can't complain, especially if the local store stocks everything for them.
If your local shop carries Durango parts you are a lucky guy. I once ran into a guy at a track in Tucson, AZ, that had BOXES of Durango parts he had stocked up on just in case. If it were not for that guy i would have been done for the weekend. I have since become that guy. I have 2 and 3 of just about everything.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #9013
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperfoot View Post
If your local shop carries Durango parts you are a lucky guy. I once ran into a guy at a track in Tucson, AZ, that had BOXES of Durango parts he had stocked up on just in case. If it were not for that guy i would have been done for the weekend. I have since become that guy. I have 2 and 3 of just about everything.
we r starting to see a ton of hobby shops stock dingo parts. the brand is growing fast and lhs's are taking notice
Pvd brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #9014
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radi0Flyer View Post
Thanks guys. Been so long since I ran carpet. The local club didn't allow pins back in the day so I used to run foams on my Losi JRX2. I guess I just dated myself there.

Hey MacLean, anybody try foams at Universal or is the track to hard on them? (chunking and ripping) Gonna order some Shumacher mini-pins and stagger cuts regardless, I was just curious. Thanks for the help.

Sean

Hi Sean,

No, I have never seen anyone 1/10 or 1/8 scale buggies running foams. Only the car guys are running foams on the on-road track in the back. If you're 'local' to Universal I wouldn't bother ordering Schumacher tires/inserts online; Universal carries Mini Pin Yellow rears and Cut Stagger Yellow fronts (and Mini Pin Yellow 4WD front). Save on the shipping charges (unless you want other compounds then you'll have to order online)...

Neil
MacLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #9015
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Some may find this useful, some may think it's just re-posted data and some may find mistakes, but here's my latest big bore spring comparison chart...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SpringRateComparison.pdf (39.3 KB, 143 views)