R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree43Likes

Old 11-25-2012, 07:49 AM   #8896
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

The aluminum steering rack is a worthwhile addition correct? What about a front brass weight? I'm running MM4 and it seems that the weight is biased towards the rear of the car quite a bit. I don't really have too much trouble, the car seems pretty balanced on the track and over jumps. Who is running these, are the more for rear motor setups?
Old 11-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #8897
Tech Apprentice

are you guys talking about the shims inbetween the back bearing and the front bearing of the hub? im having the same problem to tight rear wheels i bearly tighten em up and i can feel the difference losi includes that spacer.thanks for the info
zylstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #8898
Tech Adept

I have a Dex 210 arriving, want to have a back up plan for stock ball cup. Sounds like it could be a problem, can I just use stock ball stud and another ball cup (please include part numbers) ? Shim for outer rear bearing for wheel , 5mm ID, what is the OD, or part# on shim kit I need. Thanks
Sirio ExTech
Pro Match Racing
Ramirez24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #8899
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kwiksi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw addict View Post
The aluminum steering rack is a worthwhile addition correct? What about a front brass weight? I'm running MM4 and it seems that the weight is biased towards the rear of the car quite a bit. I don't really have too much trouble, the car seems pretty balanced on the track and over jumps. Who is running these, are the more for rear motor setups?
The steering rack is def worth it. The brass weight is a great tuning option. Check out the Exotek line.
http://www.exotekracing.com/durango/

Xray/RC America - JConcepts - Trinity - Sanwa - Hobbywing - Exotek - PT Racing Oils -Schelle
kwiksi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #8900
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw addict View Post
In mm4 do not use a front weight if u r on dirt. It will work against u. What u need to do is add weight to the rear, not to the front. I add a 24gram battery stopper on mine in the rear position and run a shorty all the way back in order to get my weight back. If u r running carpet, forget what I just said...
Old 11-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #8901
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramirez24 View Post
I have a Dex 210 arriving, want to have a back up plan for stock ball cup. Sounds like it could be a problem, can I just use stock ball stud and another ball cup (please include part numbers)
You may or may not have trouble with the ball cups. Look back over the last 2 pages to see a bunch of methods on breaking in the threads, and I think there is a tutorial on the Durango website. If you switch to RPM or JConcepts cups you will need Associated balls, someone posted the parts numbers back a page or two ago. Or you could by the Lunsford kit and it comes with turnbuckles, ball ends, and balls.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #8902
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cspurlock View Post
In mm4 do not use a front weight if u r on dirt. It will work against u. What u need to do is add weight to the rear, not to the front. I add a 24gram battery stopper on mine in the rear position and run a shorty all the way back in order to get my weight back. If u r running carpet, forget what I just said...
yeah, running carpet.... I don't think anyone else runs the weight (all the fast guys) But it seems like I could maybe use a bit more steering, just worried I am going to tip the scales and start spinning out. I have to switch from mini spikes in front to stagger ribs, I think that may do it. Other than that the car drives pretty balanced, if I get on the brakes to deep at the end of the long straight the rear wants to come around a bit, but that is just me trying to overdrive the track.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #8903
Tech Adept

hey guys i just finished the build on my new durango dex210! i am absolutely in love with this kit it was easy to put together and i cant wait to run it next week and whoop some @$$! but i have a few questions i will be running this buggy on an indoor medium grip type condition that is about 95ft long by about 45ft wide and i wanted to know what ids the best gearing to go with that would give me a good starting point on a 10.5t motor? thanks guys
RETIRED: Team Associated B44
sc10pc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #8904
Tech Master

I'm running a 24 with the stock spur and a bit of boost with a Gen2 10.5 on a smallish indoor carpet track. ESC was setup by our local "pro". Still not happy, has good speed at the end of the long straight, but no low end power. I can't make the long tabletop, need to do some tweaking.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #8905
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

as per requested by several people proline bulldog body for standard chassis..fits the 8+chassis just fine...

Last edited by tedstryker; 02-25-2014 at 09:47 AM.
tedstryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #8906
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

gearing in general question for a 8.5 blinky mode

i am currently running 81 / 26 on blinky mode and its very aggressive

are most still using the 81 spur or have you gone back to the 87 spur

and what is most using with a 8.5 motor gearing wise ?
Old 11-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #8907
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zylstra View Post
are you guys talking about the shims inbetween the back bearing and the front bearing of the hub? im having the same problem to tight rear wheels i bearly tighten em up and i can feel the difference losi includes that spacer.thanks for the info
Because the rear axle uses a captured CVD pin design, the inner bearing has a larger ID than the outer bearing. There is a step between the inner and outer sections of the axle that would keep you from using a normal tube shaped spacer. To work, the spacer would have to be machined to follow the step and nobody makes one that I"m aware of.

I've removed any spacers from between the wheel hex and the outer hub bearing and that seems to fix the problem. There is a little slop, but it's better than the axle being in a bind.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #8908
Tech Initiate

Hey buddy I'm running 7.5 but I run 81/23 and it good...
edlaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #8909
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to dakilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL15 View Post
gearing in general question for a 8.5 blinky mode

i am currently running 81 / 26 on blinky mode and its very aggressive

are most still using the 81 spur or have you gone back to the 87 spur

and what is most using with a 8.5 motor gearing wise ?
I'm running a 8.5 in mine geared 24/81
Old 11-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #8910
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlaret View Post
Hey buddy I'm running 7.5 but I run 81/23 and it good...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakilo View Post
I'm running a 8.5 in mine geared 24/81
thanks guys yeh the 81 / 26 was just not working so i will try a few teeth lower and see how it goes

in saying it was not working means it just had to be driven very easy as its was quite wild and very aggressive at spinning the wheels 1/2 way down the straight good fun but it was a hand full to be honest

cheers for the tips i will try