R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree24Likes

Old 08-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #7276
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanAZ View Post
I have a B4/SC10 BALL diff in mine, it requires 2 bearings on each side and shrink wrap on the outdrives to take up the slop. I just had it apart changing it from RM4 to RM3 and should have taken pics.

Hope this helps.
Do u know if there is a difference between the sc10 diff and a b4 diff? Kind of confusing, they have different part numbers, but I have seen some docs that say they are interchangeable and others that say they are not
Old 08-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #7277
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cspurlock View Post
Do u know if there is a difference between the sc10 diff and a b4 diff? Kind of confusing, they have different part numbers, but I have seen some docs that say they are interchangeable and others that say they are not
I think the only difference is the Ball diff has thinner drive cups and the Gear has slightly beefier ones, I know there is a difference in the diff case cause I've built a few loaner cars for our kids program. B4/T4 and SC10 but they are all interchangeable if the diff fits the case.

***Looking for a responsible person to help run the track and program***
EvanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #7278
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanAZ View Post
I think the only difference is the Ball diff has thinner drive cups and the Gear has slightly beefier ones, I know there is a difference in the diff case cause I've built a few loaner cars for our kids program. B4/T4 and SC10 but they are all interchangeable if the diff fits the case.
I was meaning between the sc10 ball diff and b4 ball diff, not gear vs ball. Not sure if u or anyone has compared them.

Thx for the help
Old 08-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #7279
Tech Champion
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Quote:
I was meaning between the sc10 ball diff and b4 ball diff, not gear vs ball. Not sure if u or anyone has compared them.

Thx for the help
The outdrives for an sc10 have shoulders on them to make it possible to interchange a gear diff, so it will not fit in a B4 gearcase.
flame56mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #7280
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame56mx View Post
The outdrives for an sc10 have shoulders on them to make it possible to interchange a gear diff, so it will not fit in a B4 gearcase.
Thanks, so do u know which fits better in the dex210.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #7281
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame56mx View Post
Kind of true. The sc10 was the first to incorporate a ball diff in an ae vehicle with the metric bearings. The T4.1 and B4.1 also have the metric bearings, and hence have a different tranny case to accomodate them. If you have a diff from an sc10, t4.1 or b4.1 they will all be the same. First gen b4 and t4 diffs are different and take standard bearings.
Futaba | Strictly R/C- Norridge, IL
Thank you all for the help and support!
Jonny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #7282
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5 View Post
Kind of true. The sc10 was the first to incorporate a ball diff in an ae vehicle with the metric bearings. The T4.1 and B4.1 also have the metric bearings, and hence have a different tranny case to accomodate them. If you have a diff from an sc10, t4.1 or b4.1 they will all be the same. First gen b4 and t4 diffs are different and take standard bearings.
Jonny, should have known u would know. Lol. So if I am going to go buy one, which is the better choice and why? Also, as much as Cush runs, how r u guys not wearing these out too?
Old 08-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #7283
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You want the diff for the sc10, B4.1 or T4.1 with the metric outdrive bearings. All you need is the diff and some shims to get rid of side to side play. You want this diff

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...rod_id=ASC9827
Great Hobbies, Hobbico, Skyrc, Exotek
rcjunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #7284
Tech Elite

Quote:
Jonny, should have known u would know. Lol. So if I am going to go buy one, which is the better choice and why? Also, as much as Cush runs, how r u guys not wearing these out too?
They wear, but not enough for me to think they are an issue. His original car is on its 3rd set of outdrives since the car first came out. The second car is on its 2nd set, and really only got replaced because I did full teardowns when we got the cf chassis. Sure, outdrives that never wear out would be great, but we get about the same life out of them as I did on my stock sc10, so I'm satisfied with them.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #7285
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5 View Post
They wear, but not enough for me to think they are an issue. His original car is on its 3rd set of outdrives since the car first came out. The second car is on its 2nd set, and really only got replaced because I did full teardowns when we got the cf chassis. Sure, outdrives that never wear out would be great, but we get about the same life out of them as I did on my stock sc10, so I'm satisfied with them.
this is how mine and 2 others at my track are wearing. Maybe it is our track, but I don't think this is what I would call normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Durango DEX210 Thread-photo.jpg  
Old 08-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #7286
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

That looks pretty bad, my 2 previous sets and current outdrives only wear out on one side ever. The reverse side, never the forward side. Too much braking with my driving style maybe?

Crazy idea I tried in my car this morning while replacing my worn out chassis. I noticed that the top front bulkhead thing had empty area. So I thought I could place my transponder inside of it. The nice part is there's a small gap from where the top meets the bottom bulkhead that leaves space for the wire to run through. I opened up my MRT transponder case, took the chip and placed it inside. Unfortunately it happens to stick out the slightest bit, so I took my dremel and made a small notch in the bottom bulkhead where the chip would sit when both pieces come together. Everything is set now and hope to try it out on the track in the next couple days, should be worth a couple tenths of a second on my lap times. At least I hope so
Old 08-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #7287
Tech Elite

Quote:
this is how mine and 2 others at my track are wearing. Maybe it is our track, but I don't think this is what I would call normal?
Do you flip them? I've never seen one wear on both sides like that. Ours look about like that by the time I replace them, but that's with quite a bit of runtime on it too. How long until it wears like that? And what's your track like?
Old 08-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #7288
Tech Addict

Default Wear

Never flip them. Track is med bite clay(Ocrc). Time is hard to tell because it really matters on how many packs. I would say probably in the area of 20 packs.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #7289
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nolimit208 Send a message via MSN to nolimit208

Quote:
Never flip them. Track is med bite clay(Ocrc). Time is hard to tell because it really matters on how many packs. I would say probably in the area of 20 packs.
My originals did the same thing in 20 or less packs. Running 8.5 on a track similar to ocrc also.
nolimit208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:37 AM   #7290
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Think you have to count them as consumables along with:
ball cups
drive shaft pins
slipper pads
spur gears
bearings
plastic hexes
wings
towers

Check your drive pins as well and get nice new ones. I replaced the ones in my gear diff and ended up turning my drive pins 90 instead of replacing them. But Im watching them a little more closely now
Hobbywing
#kiwipaint on facebook
onekiwi is offline   Reply With Quote