R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree43Likes

Old 08-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #7171
Tech Adept

Hey guys,
Finishing up the build and need a good starting point for the shocks. I've looked at numerous set up sheets and it seems to be all over the place.
Plan on starting out with the stock (kit) springs (unless you advise differently).
Seems most are using 4 hole pistons; should I drill out the included blanks?
Which diameter holes to start with?
What weight oil for front / rear?
Just looking for a good starting point to get me going. Also, starting w/ 30* caster, 1mm trailing, 3* rear toe, 3* antisquat. Small clay track; pretty slow and technical.
Thanks again guys!
SoCal
Old 08-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #7172
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGuy View Post
Hey guys,
Finishing up the build and need a good starting point for the shocks. I've looked at numerous set up sheets and it seems to be all over the place.
Plan on starting out with the stock (kit) springs (unless you advise differently).
Just looking for a good starting point to get me going. Also, starting w/ 30* caster, 1mm trailing, 3* rear toe, 3* antisquat. Small clay track; pretty slow and technical.
Thanks again guys!
SoCal
Setup also depends on if your are going to use shorty packs or full size.
Furtado66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #7173
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furtado66 View Post
Setup also depends on if your are going to use shorty packs or full size.
Good point; full size to start, and most likely a 24 gram weight under the servo.
SoCal
Old 08-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #7174
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Good point; full size to start, and most likely a 24 gram weight under the servo.
SoCal
I advise against the any weight especially if you're using a full sized pack. I run 4 x 55 hole tapered pistons with AE 30 up front and AE 27.5 in the rear and I use black springs front and rear. But it also depends on track conditions more than anything.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #7175
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyHarris View Post
I run 4 x 55 hole tapered
Thanks Jeremy. Where can I find these; sounds easier than drilling out (or filling the holes) in mine.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #7176
Tech Regular

Quote:
Thanks Jeremy. Where can I find these; sounds easier than drilling out (or filling the holes) in mine.
I ordered mine from Nick off of Oople. I have tried them both Taper up and Taper down and prefer taper down on most surfaces but there is a huge difference between standard piston and tapered (either way). I ran 4 x 55 standard pistons, as well. I used a finger drill and #55 bit and drilled out the blank ones from the kit.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #7177
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Has anyone using the lunsford turnbuckle kit had any problem with the ball cups breaking. I had 2 break today in half with the cup still on the ball. Just spent $80 bucks for these things and so far not impressed.
Slimsh8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #7178
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Hey guys,
Thanks again guys!
SoCal
Definitely wouldn't do 1mm trailing, do 4mm.
Ur track sounds like mine. Don't use kit springs, they are for MM setup. Dk grn or blk front and dk blue rear is what I would advise. 30 front 25 rear. Pistons r pretty much the same for most people 4x 1.2rear 4x1.3 front, look at some setups on petit rc and you will see what people r running on clay.
http://www.petitrc.com/setup/durango...ngoDEX210.html

Pistons are done by most by glueing 2 of the holes shut on stock piston which is 6x 1.2 with CA or epoxy.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #7179
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I just got my B4.1 worlds dialed in and handling just the way I want. So that means it's time to sell it and try something else. Did the 22 thing and was always chasing a set up. Started stock did every mod in the book but could not get it to hold a tight line around the track. From what I am reading it kind of looks like the same thing with the 210. Is there a base set up that works on a variety of tracks or am I going to be playing with oils, pistons and springs in a never ending cycle of trying to get traction and handling at each track I visit? Ya it's all part of the fun, and the 22 definitely improved my diff building skills after five rebuilds in 1.5 months, but still I would like to know what I am in for!

I tried the 410 and noticed that at my local track there were guys using four completely different set ups on four different buggies. Which means to me there was no baseline set up.
zipperfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:49 PM   #7180
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperfoot View Post
I just got my B4.1 worlds dialed in and handling just the way I want. So that means it's time to sell it and try something else. Did the 22 thing and was always chasing a set up. Started stock did every mod in the book but could not get it to hold a tight line around the track. From what I am reading it kind of looks like the same thing with the 210. Is there a base set up that works on a variety of tracks or am I going to be playing with oils, pistons and springs in a never ending cycle of trying to get traction and handling at each track I visit? Ya it's all part of the fun, and the 22 definitely improved my diff building skills after five rebuilds in 1.5 months, but still I would like to know what I am in for!

I tried the 410 and noticed that at my local track there were guys using four completely different set ups on four different buggies. Which means to me there was no baseline set up.
There is no easy button with car setups. This car and the 22 are very tunable and the smallest adjustments make a very large difference. It will take time to develope your own setup because everyones "dialed" set up may not work for you at your track(s). I have a "base" setup for Florida tracks but I do have to fine tune at each different track. My original kit diff had 100+ runs on it and still felt new. The only reason I rebuilt it is because I was for the Reedy Race. Once you finally get a set up on this car that works for you its well worth it.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #7181
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyHarris View Post
There is no easy button with car setups. This car and the 22 are very tunable and the smallest adjustments make a very large difference. It will take time to develope your own setup because everyones "dialed" set up may not work for you at your track(s). I have a "base" setup for Florida tracks but I do have to fine tune at each different track. My original kit diff had 100+ runs on it and still felt new. The only reason I rebuilt it is because I was for the Reedy Race. Once you finally get a set up on this car that works for you its well worth it.
Thanks for the honest answer. This was kind of a test post as well to see what kind of responses i received. If i posted this question about the b4 on their forum, i would have received smart [email protected]&$d answers galore. Looks like i may have found a new home.
zipperfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:35 AM   #7182
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

rear front suspension 3toe 3kick up

in metal anyone know who makes them ?
Old 08-12-2012, 02:50 AM   #7183
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Rcjunky here on the forum or tresrey 2 with spacers
Hobbywing
#kiwipaint on facebook