R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree43Likes

Old 05-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #5791
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 147 (100%+)

The Losi springs are closer spaced than the Durango ones, so you dont have to make huge jumps in spring weight. Kyosho are my favorite springs.....but they are HUGE money! Avid has some good ideas with their new spring line. The only fall back is the jump between rates.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #5792
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Dog Runner

Ray - with the shorty pack or full-length?
I've been thinking of giving the shorty a real try and spending some time with it.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:48 AM   #5793
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 147 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Runner View Post
Ray - with the shorty pack or full-length?
I've been thinking of giving the shorty a real try and spending some time with it.
Hey JR. The setup was with a shorty lipo. I tried to get a full size lipo to work as well and was able to get it close with 1.1 front pistons and kit springs. It just wasn't as consistent as the shorty pack.

Added some info to the original post (JC body/wing and Panther tires)
Old 05-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #5794
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

jpcopeland1 if you wanna try losi springs here is something to try.
I just started runing the 210 last week but work at my track 3 days a week so I got some good tuning time. There is no comparison this car loves the shorty packs. My 22 didnt change much with the shorty but the 210 to me became more responsive and reacted faster with the shorty. As far as losi springs I have found a shock setup that is working great on my car. To me the 6 hole pistons didnt feel like they had enough pack so I took the blank pistons and drilled some 4 hole 56 pistons with 22.5 oil and whit springs on rear and orange up front and my car was REAL good. A local die hard AE driver drove my car saturday and sold his b4.1 on sunday. Glad I decided to try the car after the shock change I am lovin it.
Jeremy Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #5795
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 139 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Blair View Post
jpcopeland1 if you wanna try losi springs here is something to try.
I just started runing the 210 last week but work at my track 3 days a week so I got some good tuning time. There is no comparison this car loves the shorty packs. My 22 didnt change much with the shorty but the 210 to me became more responsive and reacted faster with the shorty. As far as losi springs I have found a shock setup that is working great on my car. To me the 6 hole pistons didnt feel like they had enough pack so I took the blank pistons and drilled some 4 hole 56 pistons with 22.5 oil and whit springs on rear and orange up front and my car was REAL good. A local die hard AE driver drove my car saturday and sold his b4.1 on sunday. Glad I decided to try the car after the shock change I am lovin it.
That was the exact matchup of losi springs I was thinking of trying. orange fronts, white rears. For my pistons I stuck with the stock Durango pistons and epoxied 2 holes shut. I have spare sets so glueing holes shut isnt a big deal, and they've help up. Using regular CA wouldnt stand up to the rigors of off-road, the seals would pop out. As far as oil goes, I stuck with 30 all around, helped my car land a little smoother without excessive chassis slap, and it soaks up the rhythm section a bit better then lighter oil. However changing out springs may make me have to go to a lighter oil.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #5796
Tech Adept

Anyone have problems getting the slipper tight enough? Feels like I don't have any spring action left, and still the slipper seems too loose.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #5797
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
That was the exact matchup of losi springs I was thinking of trying. orange fronts, white rears. For my pistons I stuck with the stock Durango pistons and epoxied 2 holes shut. I have spare sets so glueing holes shut isnt a big deal, and they've help up. Using regular CA wouldnt stand up to the rigors of off-road, the seals would pop out. As far as oil goes, I stuck with 30 all around, helped my car land a little smoother without excessive chassis slap, and it soaks up the rhythm section a bit better then lighter oil. However changing out springs may make me have to go to a lighter oil.
May want to try pink or yellow Rears, remember the Durango has a very heavy rear end
Old 05-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #5798
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiro View Post
Anyone have problems getting the slipper tight enough? Feels like I don't have any spring action left, and still the slipper seems too loose.
I have noticed differences in length with the aluminum spacer for the layshaft. One with the kit was perfect and rencently put a new one on. It was a tad too long. I had to sand it down carefully to free everything up. I would suspect that the spacer is too short. Try using a shim or two on the topshaft and that will compress the slipper plate near the motorplate.

Schelle Racing Concepts - www.schelleracing.com
Amain Hobbies - www.amain.com
Jmuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #5799
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 139 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmuck69 View Post
I have noticed differences in length with the aluminum spacer for the layshaft. One with the kit was perfect and rencently put a new one on. It was a tad too long. I had to sand it down carefully to free everything up. I would suspect that the spacer is too short. Try using a shim or two on the topshaft and that will compress the slipper plate near the motorplate.
I ran into this the other day. My slipper pads had glazed over to the point of no return (compltely my fault I had changed from mod to stock and didnt check my slipper, pads were wasted), swapped with AE's which are a direct fit with the RW spurs I use and problem was gone.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #5800
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

same thing here I swapped to a schumacher slipper which is a little thicker
Hobbywing
#kiwipaint on facebook
onekiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #5801
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
I ran into this the other day. My slipper pads had glazed over to the point of no return (compltely my fault I had changed from mod to stock and didnt check my slipper, pads were wasted), swapped with AE's which are a direct fit with the RW spurs I use and problem was gone.
How can you tell when the pads are beyond the point of rescue?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #5802
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmuck69 View Post
Thanks for this tip, I'll investigate...
Old 05-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #5803
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Have a look at them if they are shiny then you can use some fine sandpaper and or scrape off the glazing.
Flip them first and use the other side then look at sanding or replacing them
Hobbywing
#kiwipaint on facebook
onekiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #5804
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onekiwi View Post
same thing here I swapped to a schumacher slipper which is a little thicker
x2 on that
Old 05-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #5805
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiro View Post
Might sound funny but you sure the diff is not slipping? Did that to my last diff rebuild kit from bfast today!!