R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree43Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #4531
Tech Master
 
murky123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: netherlands
Posts: 1,031
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5 View Post
Actually stock/mod does make a difference. The faster speeds of mod class increase the shaft speed considerably and can make the rear end pack up harder than stock. My buggy feels great with 4 hole pistons but Cush's buggy is bouncy off of fast jump landings. We keep trying different 4 hole combinations on his and keep reverting back to 6 holes. Next up is a set of blanks drilled to 5 hole 1.2 and another set at 5 hole 1.3. His car drives very well but needs more pack, but 4 holes have been too much pack for his car and our track.
Ahhhh this is good info. keep me posted if you can.
I cant test different pistons at this moment due to bad weather.
But I can use your info very well
so you are saying that the faster mod buggy will like 6 or 5 holes better than 4 holes ? due to the higher speeds and rear end packing up ?
__________________
AE SC10 4x4, Durango DEX210 + DESC210R, HB D413
www.rcracing.nl www.mvb.nl
murky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #4532
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,844
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murky123 View Post
Ahhhh this is good info. keep me posted if you can.
I cant test different pistons at this moment due to bad weather.
But I can use your info very well
so you are saying that the faster mod buggy will like 6 or 5 holes better than 4 holes ? due to the higher speeds and rear end packing up ?
That's what we found for our particular track. It's all relative to what you're running on, but the shaft speed of the shock is faster off the same jumps between my stock and Cush's mod buggy, or at least that's what I have concluded after trying identical setups on both cars. My car is marginally lighter than his due to different escs, but really should not be enough for the drastic difference in jumping we have seen. We won't be out again til this weekend, but I'll post up what we find.
__________________
XRAY, RC America, MOTIV, Sanwa, Arrowmax, Neverlift Racing Apparel
Jonny5ive Designs- by racers, for racers!
Jonny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #4533
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Stokes, NC
Posts: 6,512
Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5 View Post
That's what we found for our particular track. It's all relative to what you're running on, but the shaft speed of the shock is faster off the same jumps between my stock and Cush's mod buggy, or at least that's what I have concluded after trying identical setups on both cars. My car is marginally lighter than his due to different escs, but really should not be enough for the drastic difference in jumping we have seen. We won't be out again til this weekend, but I'll post up what we find.
I've been playing with 1.5 3 hole, and 1.5 4 hole pistons. They are definetly softer.
__________________
Team and Sales Manager for USRC Imports, home of Sworkz! Looking for drivers for 2017-2018, KingMax Servos www.kingmaxhobby.com Gens Ace www.gensace.com, MIP www.miponline.com,Schelle , WWW. Schelleracing.com, Slavich Designs, GARCIA GRAPHIX

CHECK OUT GARCIA GRAPHIX ON FACEBOOK -LOOKING FOR 2017 TEAM DRIVER'S!
Raul Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #4534
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,844
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul Garcia View Post
I've been playing with 1.5 3 hole, and 1.5 4 hole pistons. They are definetly softer.
Are you bottoming much? I know that bottoming is expected and unavoidable in certain situations, but his car bottoms even on smooth downside landings, so that is what we are trying to tune out. We are trying to do this though without compromising the handling elsewhere on the track though as it does everything else very well. I hadn't considered larger holes in the 4 hole pistons, but as easy as it is it looks like we have more stuff to try.
__________________
XRAY, RC America, MOTIV, Sanwa, Arrowmax, Neverlift Racing Apparel
Jonny5ive Designs- by racers, for racers!
Jonny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #4535
Tech Master
 
MikeFriery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,368
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5 View Post
Are you bottoming much? I know that bottoming is expected and unavoidable in certain situations, but his car bottoms even on smooth downside landings, so that is what we are trying to tune out. We are trying to do this though without compromising the handling elsewhere on the track though as it does everything else very well. I hadn't considered larger holes in the 4 hole pistons, but as easy as it is it looks like we have more stuff to try.
Have you tried laying the rear shock down? We were having alot of the same problems, but since switching to 3-1 mounting with 4 hole 1.3's w / Losi 20 wt, TLR pink spring, have been pretty happy with the result.

Droop screw all the way out, shock-end unscrewed 1 turn
__________________
AKA / RedRock Hobbies / Shuurspeed
MikeFriery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #4536
Tech Master
 
Autocratic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 1,690
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murky123 View Post
Im gonna try this !!
doesnt really matter if you run 17,5 blinky or a 8.5 turn regarding springs and oil right?

your description of your track sounds a lot like mine.
I do not have huge jumps, not to technical but can be quite high speed.
low/med clay/dirt out doors
My track has jumps, but I wouldn't consider them to be technical. The only real technical part is making sure you're setup on the correct line coming off the 3rd table top.

__________________
Thanks to my sponsors for 2015!
XFactory RC | Proline Racing | Fantom Racing | Avid RC | Speed Passion USA | Factory1 | Hy-Traction Juice | Mike's Hobby Shop
Autocratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #4537
Tech Regular
 
ohdeeuhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Petal, MS
Posts: 303
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Just picked up my 210 today after much debate. I saw a post a few pages back about using a 2WD sc10 diff and HPI shims and I was wondering if anyone else has tried this setup. I run on a medium/loose outdoor track and gear diffs just seem to work better for me.

I wish TD would get on the ball and get the parts stock back up to par. I almost ordered the 22 because of the parts support but I've been drooling over the 201 for quite some time.
__________________
www.advrider.com
Riverside RC Raceway -- Petal, MS
Braaaaaaaaaaaap!
ohdeeuhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #4538
Tech Master
 
goBezerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: KRCORCC, VIC, AUS
Posts: 1,637
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to goBezerk
Default

FWIW, our track is "very" rough with big jumps and I tried both 4 and 6 hole pistons, 6 too little pack and 4 too much. So I made some simple flap valves to put on top of the pistons, so 5 hole compression, 6 hole rebound...they work a treat
__________________
► Paul Sims - KRCORCC - BRCCC - TFTR
► R/C racin', 1 percent car, 99 percent driver
► BEZERK RC on Facebook, PayPal accepted
► PROLINE - TEAM AE - GFORCE - R/C Race Supplies
goBezerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #4539
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 286
Default

any pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goBezerk View Post
FWIW, our track is "very" rough with big jumps and I tried both 4 and 6 hole pistons, 6 too little pack and 4 too much. So I made some simple flap valves to put on top of the pistons, so 5 hole compression, 6 hole rebound...they work a treat
cm.stites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #4540
Tech Master
 
goBezerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: KRCORCC, VIC, AUS
Posts: 1,637
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to goBezerk
Default

Something like this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm.stites View Post
any pictures?
Attached Thumbnails
Durango DEX210 Thread-dex210_valve.jpg  
__________________
► Paul Sims - KRCORCC - BRCCC - TFTR
► R/C racin', 1 percent car, 99 percent driver
► BEZERK RC on Facebook, PayPal accepted
► PROLINE - TEAM AE - GFORCE - R/C Race Supplies
goBezerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #4541
Super Moderator
 
Cpt.America's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 11,081
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5 View Post
Are you bottoming much? I know that bottoming is expected and unavoidable in certain situations, but his car bottoms even on smooth downside landings, so that is what we are trying to tune out. We are trying to do this though without compromising the handling elsewhere on the track though as it does everything else very well. I hadn't considered larger holes in the 4 hole pistons, but as easy as it is it looks like we have more stuff to try.
What you want then, is more pack, not less. Pack is only intrudced when shaft speed reaches a certain point (like landings). So it is possible to create more pack for the hard landings, without changing how the damping feels elsewhere on the track. You increase pack by decreasing the hole sizes in your piston, and running a lighter oil to compensate.

So for example, if you are running 4 hole 1.3 in the back with 27 weight oil, switch to a 4 hole 1.2 and run 25 or 22 instead. The overall slow pulse damping will be about the same, but pack will be higher, helping the car land.

If you go to a larger hole, the bottoming out issue (even if you go with a thicker oil) will only get worse.
__________________
A big thanks to my sponsors:
- Fantom Racing - www.fantomracing.com -
- Fusion Graphix- www.fusiongraphix.com -
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #4542
Tech Adept
 
nickypoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Glendora, CA @ 210fwy/57fwy
Posts: 212
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

before i bite the bullet, is anyone running a mamba max pro in their buggy?

its the only sensored esc i have and ill run a 10.5 with it
__________________
braaaaaaaaaaap
nickypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #4543
Tech Elite
 
slow_jun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: sa Earth
Posts: 2,724
Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdeeuhm View Post
Just picked up my 210 today after much debate. I saw a post a few pages back about using a 2WD sc10 diff and HPI shims and I was wondering if anyone else has tried this setup. I run on a medium/loose outdoor track and gear diffs just seem to work better for me.

I wish TD would get on the ball and get the parts stock back up to par. I almost ordered the 22 because of the parts support but I've been drooling over the 201 for quite some time.
works great, less maintenance and more run time between runs.... using mine and no issue here...
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mag 3 taon, tapos isalpak pa sa PAGMUMUKHA KO......... tagal....Deeeeymmm!!!
slow_jun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #4544
Tech Fanatic
 
rcman182006's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pleasantville, OH
Posts: 779
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcman182006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickypoo View Post
before i bite the bullet, is anyone running a mamba max pro in their buggy?

its the only sensored esc i have and ill run a 10.5 with it
If you remove the fan, it "should" fit (I've never owned a MMP before but I've seen them in buggies like that)
__________________
-=-Charles Kilbarger-=-
Serpent SRX2 MM - D4 17.5 - Hobbywing Justock
AE RC10 Team Car - RevTech 17.5 - Hobbywing Justock
#NoChuck2015
rcman182006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #4545
Tech Regular
 
nolimit208's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Orem, Utah
Posts: 279
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nolimit208 Send a message via MSN to nolimit208
Default

Kirby went with your shock setup today 1.2 4 hole all around 25 front w/ orenge and 20 rear with stock spring (close enough car was pretty hooked up during practice will see my times tomorrow during the races.
nolimit208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
St Ives RC Club B4Bandit Australian Racing 16575 Yesterday 12:44 AM
EPMTs check in here. (a subsidiary of TNT) overtki11 Singapore R/C Racers 55470 05-08-2017 12:57 AM
Team Durango DEX410 ASH93A Australian Racing 925 04-08-2013 10:51 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:23 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net