Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree26Likes

Old 11-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #2326
Tech Champion
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopsing View Post
I still haven't popped a stock HD ball cup off even after a couple of big tumbles and misjudging an off camber triple jump several times....... I have 25 packs through my car with no issues with them at all.

I keep reitterating this because I dont want prospective 210 buyers being discouraged that they HAVE to buy different ball cups and studs when there are plenty of people on here that have not had ANY problems with them. I've popped my share on my Tamiya and my Kyosho cars and its not uncommon to sometimes have problems even with new ball cups (I've even had Kyosho and Tamiya ones pop off while adjusting when new and tight).

My ballcups snap on as well as any other ball cups that I've installed on other cars. They do require a little more forethought when building them though....they are very tight to thread on and need to be worked back and forth (in and out) while threading them (basically tapping them out) so that they screw in and out more freely. Thread them completely in until they stop in the ball cup and work it in and out a few times until it feels easier to do. If you just thread them in and leave them to adjust after they are installed on the car, THEY WILL POP OFF while trying to adjust them. Doing them the way I did, I had no problem adjusting them after install and still dont. You may even put a little black grease or vaseline on the threads before threading them to try and smooth them out as well.

One other thing is...DO NOT use a driver through the hole in the end of the ball cup to use as a "T" wrench when building them. With as a tight as the threads are, I do believe that there is a very good possibility that the "cup" will get slightly stretched and elongated/deformed causing it not to fit on the ball properly and making it very easy for them to pop off in a crash.

These are my build tips that worked for me....hopefully they will work for the next guy.
I agree with you Steve, the kit parts are good, and will work in most situations for most people, I am just saying for the people who are having problems, try a little hot water. It's very popular up here in the colder temps to do this with an 1/8 wing's..I like the car, and so does everyone I let drive it, and even some I didn't..You know who you are..
With some help from some good friends, and a little more track time, I should have a great uber tight med bite indoor set-up for a track like this..

Durango DEX210 Thread-2011-2012tracklayout-imag0039.jpg
flame56mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #2327
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUZUM View Post
I put ball studs in with hex wrench and actually opened up the first 2 mm of the ball stud with a taper bit so the turnbuckle would start easy and not stretch the material.. added wax to the threads and went in very nice and smooth and adjust great on the car ... but they still pop off... this is a very minor issue for a car that builds and drives great but when your in a race and this causes DNF for the person its a issue... this is just my experience but hopefully not everyone that has one will have this problem ...A plus car though
Well, cant fault you for trying!!

Wondering if there was a bad batch of ballcups? To me if they can adjust on the car smoothly, then there shouldnt be any reason for the ballcups to pop off.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #2328
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame56mx View Post
I agree with you Steve, the kit parts are good, and will work in most situations for most people, I am just saying for the people who are having problems, try a little hot water. It's very popular up here in the colder temps to do this with an 1/8 wing's..I like the car, and so does everyone I let drive it, and even some I didn't..You know who you are..
With some help from some good friends, and a little more track time, I should have a great uber tight med bite indoor set-up for a track like this..

Attachment 840305
Wow now that tight !!! LOL
Old 11-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #2329
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

That elevated double is really cool. Awesome use of space.
jnslprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:50 PM   #2330
Tech Master

Quote:

Attachment 840305
Thats something I never thought of, if the colder areas are where most of the issues are happening (except for Patrick who races where I do, but I think he just hits alot of things )

And wow, where do people watch the race from? Its a track-in-a-box!!
Old 11-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #2331
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Well, cant fault you for trying!!

Wondering if there was a bad batch of ballcups? To me if they can adjust on the car smoothly, then there shouldnt be any reason for the ballcups to pop off.
Good question ?? this car went together so great, fit and finish is excellent ,car drives really nice out of the box .... gonna try another set and hopefully solve my problem.... I just wonder if because of the excess hole in the top for the ballstuds is letting the ball cup flex or stretch on impact compared to a solid ball cup
Old 11-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #2332
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnslprd View Post
That elevated double is really cool. Awesome use of space.
i'll have some of the in car footage we shot this past weekend edited tomorrow hopefully..
Airtroics - Tekin - Savox - Proline
alexkenison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #2333
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUZUM View Post
Good question ?? this car went together so great, fit and finish is excellent ,car drives really nice out of the box .... gonna try another set and hopefully solve my problem.... I just wonder if because of the excess hole in the top for the ballstuds is letting the ball cup flex or stretch on impact compared to a solid ball cup
Its possible.....I did hear a rumor that there is talk of eliminating the hole in the cup but not sure how solid that rumor is.

Whats funny is, I've even used the hole to make my ballstud adjustments without taking the ballcup off...which technically is better because everytime you take the ball cup off to get to the ball stud you stretch the end and loosen the fit.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:02 PM   #2334
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkenison View Post
i'll have some of the in car footage we shot this past weekend edited tomorrow hopefully..
He is "that " guy ...

Quote:
And wow, where do people watch the race from? Its a track-in-a-box!!
There isnt much spectating there unfortunately, bit of a racers track, so unless you are marshalling (even that's a challenge) it's hard to see too much. We need to build some windows or something..lol
Quote:
Whats funny is, I've even used the hole to make my ballstud adjustments without taking the ballcup off...which technically is better because everytime you take the ball cup off to get to the ball stud you stretch the end and loosen the fit.
The ballstuds are very 1/8 scale like. I did the same when making adjustments on mine, and it's the reason they are like that. I like the car, and the adjustments you can make are endless. I think it will change the way we see 2wd buggies being built in the future, they took what the 22 did, and magnified it, but this car works out of the box and will work on any track.. IMO
Old 11-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #2335
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

does this buggy come with carbide diff balls stock?
dirtydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #2336
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydan View Post
I believe they are steel, but there are 14 -3mm balls, so you will have to really mess up the adjustments to wear them out quickly-the diff is stout for sure..
Old 11-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #2337
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydan View Post
Steel balls, but after 20+ runs on the diff, it is still very smooth. Set it, break it in, and dont let it slip = butter

I do have a set of ceramic balls for the diff and a carbide thrust assembly to install when the time comes....we'll see how that works out!
Old 11-27-2011, 09:37 PM   #2338
Tech Master

A little birdy told me that US based diggitydesigns.com/ is currently working on a rear shock tower and is going to look at doing an ackerman link, battery strap and possibly a front tower.......
Old 11-28-2011, 07:42 AM   #2339
Tech Regular

Talking AE Is Killer Of All +8mm = PRICELESS!~

Quote:

Attachment 840305

B4.2 Let Your Controls Do The Talking Not Your Mouth still running It .
916bdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:29 AM   #2340
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Pulse RC body

Interesting new body from Pulse RC. Looks like it might have a little more traditional styling and additional height in the side pod area.

http://www.redrc.net/2011/11/pulse-r...10-body-shell/

Schelle Racing Concepts - www.schelleracing.com
Amain Hobbies - www.amain.com
Jmuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote