R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree43Likes

Old 11-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #1966
ROP
Tech Rookie

Was at Leisure Hours Raceway for the first time on Saturday night. I didnt even know the track existed until I over heard one of the guys that works at the main hobby store talk about it. Anyway I stopped by and was very interested in the DEX210. Was able to see one go around the track and also the DESC410R. Both vehiles seem to work very well. The only issue I have is the guy that was running them. From what I was able to find out the guy is a Team Durango driver. The "issue" I had is the guy was almost getting into a fight over something or the other with more than one person. I asked a few guys that were hanging around if that was normal for the guy.....I didnt get an offical answer. It's too bad cause these cars look complicated to setup....lots of adjustments. Looks confusing. Then I found R/C Tech. Lots of info on here. I also found out that there is another Team driver that runs at Leisure Hours. Cush/Jonny5...I think. Anyway glad there is another guy there....cause the one guy Jason acts like a total "behind". Also glad I can post questions on this thread and people will answer. This will be my first real r/c purcahse....had lots of Tamiya stuff as a kid. Was thinking this could be something myself and my son could get into. (we are into paintball now and its too cold to play outside)

So thanks for all the posters who answer questions and maybe Durango should consider having a talk with the guy who didnt represnt it's products very well.

Jonny5....when will you be at LH next? Have lots of questions and want to hold one of these before I throw down cash.

Thanks.
ROP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:33 AM   #1967
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROP View Post
Was at Leisure Hours Raceway for the first time on Saturday night. I didnt even know the track existed until I over heard one of the guys that works at the main hobby store talk about it. Anyway I stopped by and was very interested in the DEX210. Was able to see one go around the track and also the DESC410R. Both vehiles seem to work very well. The only issue I have is the guy that was running them. From what I was able to find out the guy is a Team Durango driver. The "issue" I had is the guy was almost getting into a fight over something or the other with more than one person. I asked a few guys that were hanging around if that was normal for the guy.....I didnt get an offical answer. It's too bad cause these cars look complicated to setup....lots of adjustments. Looks confusing. Then I found R/C Tech. Lots of info on here. I also found out that there is another Team driver that runs at Leisure Hours. Cush/Jonny5...I think. Anyway glad there is another guy there....cause the one guy Jason acts like a total "behind". Also glad I can post questions on this thread and people will answer. This will be my first real r/c purcahse....had lots of Tamiya stuff as a kid. Was thinking this could be something myself and my son could get into. (we are into paintball now and its too cold to play outside)

So thanks for all the posters who answer questions and maybe Durango should consider having a talk with the guy who didnt represnt it's products very well.

Jonny5....when will you be at LH next? Have lots of questions and want to hold one of these before I throw down cash.

Thanks.
I'll be out there tonite to grab some parts and hang out a bit, but won't be racing. All our cars are going through a complete teardown/rebuild for the Spektrum race- and Cush lives with mom almost an hour away so racing isn't an option for him during the week with school and what not.

I'll gladly help ya out any way I can though, I should be over there around 630.

Edit: let me know if you're going out there tonite and if you are I'll bring Cush's Durango rigs with and you can check them out. I'm just his mechanic and financial backer - he's the fast one.

Last edited by Jonny5; 11-16-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Jonny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #1968
ROP
Tech Rookie

Tonight doesn't work. But I'm sure I will run into you some time. Going to run to LH store tonight to ask more questions about the dex210. Would you know if they have the car in stock?
ROP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:48 AM   #1969
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Tonight doesn't work. But I'm sure I will run into you some time. Going to run to LH store tonight to ask more questions about the dex210. Would you know if they have the car in stock?
They do not and last I heard from my buddy who works there their next shipment is spoken for. I found a place that has them though and we're getting another one- will be for spares for now, but I plan to race it once we can get everything spare we need which should be soon. Shoot me a pm- I have a few ideas to throw your way.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:54 AM   #1970
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
Originally Posted by MantisWorx
ok, so my 210 will be here friday so here is what i am gathering needs to be addressed right off the bat, yes i could probably search it but this is much easier!

rear shock tower is weak so i will immediately make a new one and nip that in the bud!
ballcups are suspect but it seems that aligning them and pre-threading the holes helps alot, which makes sense.
what is the final verdict on the wheel hexes and wheels? do i need to make some adapters with different size hexes?
i already have the ID clips coming from mcmaster for the ball dif issues, is that all that is needed? what size are the dif balls?

has anyone in America even bothered with mid-motor?anyone??
I'm not sure the shock tower is necessarily weak, but there have been a few "suspect" ones (one from me included) where a hard landing like casing jump, could have over compressed the suspension and caused the tower to break, a few others have broken a tower when crashing and landing hard upside down. After I changed out the broken one, my next race day consisted of going to WCRC where there was a 20ft quad that I had trouble making consistently (trying to get used to new motor/speedo combo and figuring out gearing) I must have cased the jumped or went nose first into it 10-12 times that day and I didnt break a single part. But, a CF rear tower wouldnt be a bad thing and would look good to!!

.I personally think the ball caps are fine....I didnt pre thread mine, but I did "work" the turnbuckle back and forth during assembly to help loosen them up some. I hold the ballcup with a pair of pliers ( do not put a hex driver through the hole and use the ball cup as a "t" wrench) and install the turnbuckle with a wrench and thread it all the way in. After assembly I had no issues adjusting my turnbuckles, didnt pop a single one off while adjusting.

Front wheels you are stuck with as a they are bearing in wheels. The rears I think the hole in the axle is in a spot that you may be able to use a Losi hex and wheel. Or you can change to pin style configuration and run PL/AE wheels.

Diff balls are 3mm...there are 14 of them
Old 11-16-2011, 08:59 AM   #1971
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
what is the final verdict on the wheel hexes and wheels? do i need to make some adapters with different size hexes?
Sorry, Im not familiar with the issue you are talking about here. The stock hexes and the stock wheels work fine.

Quote:
i already have the ID clips coming from mcmaster for the ball dif issues, is that all that is needed? what size are the dif balls?
Nothing is needed except for a decent set of circlip pliers, and spare circlips. Diff balls are 3mm.

Quote:
has anyone in America even bothered with mid-motor?
I'm sure somebody has! It all depends on how much traction you get at your track. If I were running on carpet or turf, id be running mid. Since I run on clay with medium traction, rear motor is king!

Quote:
It's too bad cause these cars look complicated to setup....lots of adjustments. Looks confusing.
That's the funny thing about the dex210. Durango made the buggy with the nicest front ends to work on, and the absolute worst rear end. I will admit, this buggy would not be a good buggy for a strict beginner without some direct help, because it is a bit complicated. But if you are mechanically inclined and technically sharp, once you get USED to the rear end, you just realise that it really isn't all THAT complicted, it's just not very modular... meaning, if you want to take the diff out of the car, you don't have 4 screws total like the cougar, you have 24. It's a pain, but once you do it a couple of times, eehh... its a minor draw back on a far superior car.

Quote:
Then I found R/C Tech. Lots of info on here. Also glad I can post questions on this thread and people will answer. This will be my first real r/c purcahse....had lots of Tamiya stuff as a kid.
There are a TON of helpful people all over this forum, and a ton of helpful people here on the 210 thread. There is a lot of information passing through here at a pretty quick pace... i would recommend taking some spare time and skimming through the latter half of the pages on this thread.

Quote:
Was thinking this could be something myself and my son could get into. (we are into paintball now and its too cold to play outside)
couldn't pick a better hobby to get into than RC racing. I also did paintball for a number of years, and while it was massively fun, I find RC racing even better.

If you encounter any questions, don't hesitate to post them up!

-Cpt.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #1972
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5 View Post
They do not and last I heard from my buddy who works there their next shipment is spoken for. I found a place that has them though and we're getting another one- will be for spares for now, but I plan to race it once we can get everything spare we need which should be soon. Shoot me a pm- I have a few ideas to throw your way.
4 of them in stock right now here:
http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...Durango/Detail
Old 11-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #1973
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopsing View Post
( do not put a hex driver through the hole and use the ball cup as a "t" wrench)
why not? does this stretch out the cups?

DURANGO DESC410R
x7tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #1974
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7tristan View Post
why not? does this stretch out the cups?
Thats the theory and better safe than sorry
Old 11-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #1975
Tech Adept

how is everyone measuring front-end droop?

DURANGO DESC410R
x7tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #1976
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7tristan View Post
how is everyone measuring front-end droop?
A discussion about how I measure droop... starts with post 1312 here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ml#post9840337
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #1977
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Got some testing done last night on a higher bite track. When from 4 gear to 3 gear and feel that the 3 gear is consistently faster and easier to get fast laps with on high bite. I did end up altering my shock package slightly to take advantage of this setup as well.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #1978
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
Got some testing done last night on a higher bite track. When from 4 gear to 3 gear and feel that the 3 gear is consistently faster and easier to get fast laps with on high bite. I did end up altering my shock package slightly to take advantage of this setup as well.
What shock changes, if I may ask? Also what sould I gear a 13.5? Thx Randy
Yzlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #1979

Trader Rating: 462 (100%+)
Default 3 questions

The car looks awesome! I have three questions that I will need help with before the buggy ever gets up and running.

I would like to try the gear diff option on our medium size outdoor track with hard packed clay with a very thin layer of loose dirt on top. What would be a good diff oil starting point?

What spur would I need to pick up to run a 10.5 in the mod class or is the stock ok?

Would you all suggest the rm4 or rm3 for the track I described? Traction is not high but sometimes in the late evening it can develop a nice hard racing line and even take some rubber.

Thanks in advance!
Posvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #1980
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

I'd be gearing a boosted 13.5 with a 87/27 or 28 at my local track but it won't fit. RW makes some smaller spur gears and some have had success opening up a B4 spur to fit. Also Schumacher gears fit from what I'm told.

I'm looking to go 81/24-25 on the 8.5 setup I'm using now.

I actually laid down the rear shocks a bit and went to a softer front spring...

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote