R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree43Likes

Old 11-15-2011, 04:41 AM   #1921
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhat250 View Post
Would everyone agree that the ballcups that are mostly popping off are the steering links? or is it randomly the whole car?
I was only popping them off the rear hubs, still running the kit hardware on the front end with no problem.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:44 AM   #1922
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsawyers9 View Post
Has anybody tried boiling the ball cups before running them? My kit is coming on Thursday and I was thinking about boiling before swapping ball cups.
boiling parts makes them softer, this is NOT what you would want to do with the ballcups.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:33 AM   #1923
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard View Post
I was only popping them off the rear hubs, still running the kit hardware on the front end with no problem.
So along with this post too....

Quote:
...I swapped my rear hubs. and installed the ball cups so they are straight. Ever since that change I have not popped a ball cup in the rear. I also have not popped a front in weeks.... Allaignment on the ball cups is key. Pay attention to the natural float of the ball in the ball cup...
So could it be that it's just the rear alignment then? and maybe the front steering ones are caused by a flexy steering link (discussed a few pages back)?

or are people just "uncharacteristically" popping off ballcups? I'm just starting to wonder if the HD ballcups are perfectly fine.

In conclusion: line them up properly, buy Carbon Fiber steering link, and start driving better , and I wonder if there is NO inherant issue with these HD ballcups as people are eluding to. Am I onto something? or does someone want to object and say they suck.

Last edited by panic-rev; 11-15-2011 at 08:46 AM.
panic-rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:50 AM   #1924
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by panic-rev View Post
In conclusion: line them up properly, buy Carbon Fiber steering link, and start driving better , and I wonder if there is NO inherant issue with these HD ballcups as people are eluding to. Am I onto something? or does someone want to object and say they suck.
How about this... go build the car and drive it for a couple race weekends, and see how many ball cups you pop that would NEVER of popped on another car... My favorite one, was when I was braking to a stop because a turn marshal was crossing the track when he shouldn't of been... and I hit his shoe at like 4mph and it popped a front ball cup.

I popped 4 the very first night I had the car, and I haven't popped that many in the last few years... and I'm a fine driver.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #1925
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Where were they poppoing off from? Random places?
Did you have them lined up properly?
Stiffer CF Steering link?

We believe you on the good driver part, so yeh, it sounds like you feel something may be up, abnormal that is?
Old 11-15-2011, 09:17 AM   #1926
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
So along with this post too....

So could it be that it's just the rear alignment then? and maybe the front steering ones are caused by a flexy steering link (discussed a few pages back)?

or are people just "uncharacteristically" popping off ballcups? I'm just starting to wonder if the HD ballcups are perfectly fine.

I think its an alignment issue in the rear at least. And the front I feel that the slightest mis-alignment will pop them off. However, if it bothers you that much. Just replace them. My HD ball cups are great on my DEX410 and now are working on my DEX210
DNX408V2-NovaP5, DETC410-Reventon 1.1ex-5.5t MMM
RC10 , RC10GT2- CV-R- SAVOX,
TAMAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #1927
Team Tekin

Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

I have yet to pop a ball cup off that shouldn't have been. While letting another driver drive my car he cased the tripple with just the rear tire at an angle...popped ball cup. Haven't popped one off since.

Regardless if you don't like the stock ball cups new ones can be chosen, your choice.

My Dex210 has been great from day one. Take the time to build the car properly and you will likely have no issues.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #1928
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Where were they poppoing off from? Random places?
Did you have them lined up properly?
Stiffer CF Steering link?

We believe you on the good driver part, so yeh, it sounds like you feel something may be up, abnormal that is?
Ask anybody at the track about my anal retentive behaviors when working on my car. I'm the only guy I know that calipers EVERYthing on the car, and I always make sure that my ballcups are lined up dead center on every ball stud so the rod can fully rotate both directions.

Maybe some HD ballcups are worse than others, and those of us that pop them off just by looking at them funny got unlucky with the cups that were included in our kits.... who knows.. but I do know that I went from the HDs, to the older ones, and the problem vanished.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:33 AM   #1929
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 143 (100%+)
Default STORMER HAS DEX210 IN STOCK

Get on it gents! STORMER is reporting (3) still in stock this morning.

***ON THE BALL CUP FRONT***

Do not use a hex wrench through the ball cup hole as a T handle to thread your cups onto the turnbuckles. It will stretch it out! As genious as that design appeared it was not intended to run a wrench through.
RC Bombshells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #1930
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Bombshells View Post
***ON THE BALL CUP FRONT***

Do not use a hex wrench through the ball cup hole as a T handle to thread your cups onto the turnbuckles. It will stretch it out! As genious as that design appeared it was not intended to run a wrench through.
+1

I was tempted to do this when I built the car until I heard about ball cups popping off and I decided against it......... I havent popped one off yet even with some big tumbles......and mine all go on with a nice hard "snap".
Old 11-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #1931
Tech Master

Spares are in just placed my order for some!!
Old 11-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #1932
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I think the reason the ballcups are popping off is because after they are built according to the instructions they are pretty tight. So when adjusting camber the ballcup falls off the ballstud which weakens the snap and stretches out the ballcup.

Try pre-tapping them (I know - more work, but worth it) and then use a little grease on the threads on final assembly. It will be much easier to adjust when on the car and won't strain the ball cups.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #1933
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I think the reason the ballcups are popping off is because after they are built according to the instructions, they are not easy to adjust and the ballcup falls off the ballstud which weakens the snap and stretches out the ballcup.

Try pre-tapping them (I know - more work, but worth it) and then use a little grease on the threads on final assembly. It will be much easier to adjust when on the car and won't strain the ball cups.
+1
Old 11-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #1934
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Help

I stripped the diff nut that goes in the drive cup. So far I am unable to find a new since there's no spare out yet. Does anyone know what else might work?
Slash'em1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #1935
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash'em1 View Post
I stripped the diff nut that goes in the drive cup. So far I am unable to find a new since there's no spare out yet. Does anyone know what else might work?
You could look at using a 22 diff nut possibly. not sure if thread size is compatible.

Schelle Racing Concepts - www.schelleracing.com
Amain Hobbies - www.amain.com
Jmuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote