Search
Like Tree80Likes

Durango DEX210 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 03:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by markhat250
Would everyone agree that the ballcups that are mostly popping off are the steering links? or is it randomly the whole car?
I was only popping them off the rear hubs, still running the kit hardware on the front end with no problem.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:44 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rsawyers9
Has anybody tried boiling the ball cups before running them? My kit is coming on Thursday and I was thinking about boiling before swapping ball cups.
boiling parts makes them softer, this is NOT what you would want to do with the ballcups.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Howard
I was only popping them off the rear hubs, still running the kit hardware on the front end with no problem.
So along with this post too....

...I swapped my rear hubs. and installed the ball cups so they are straight. Ever since that change I have not popped a ball cup in the rear. I also have not popped a front in weeks.... Allaignment on the ball cups is key. Pay attention to the natural float of the ball in the ball cup...
So could it be that it's just the rear alignment then? and maybe the front steering ones are caused by a flexy steering link (discussed a few pages back)?

or are people just "uncharacteristically" popping off ballcups? I'm just starting to wonder if the HD ballcups are perfectly fine.

In conclusion: line them up properly, buy Carbon Fiber steering link, and start driving better , and I wonder if there is NO inherant issue with these HD ballcups as people are eluding to. Am I onto something? or does someone want to object and say they suck.

Last edited by panic-rev; 11-15-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:50 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by panic-rev
In conclusion: line them up properly, buy Carbon Fiber steering link, and start driving better , and I wonder if there is NO inherant issue with these HD ballcups as people are eluding to. Am I onto something? or does someone want to object and say they suck.
How about this... go build the car and drive it for a couple race weekends, and see how many ball cups you pop that would NEVER of popped on another car... My favorite one, was when I was braking to a stop because a turn marshal was crossing the track when he shouldn't of been... and I hit his shoe at like 4mph and it popped a front ball cup.

I popped 4 the very first night I had the car, and I haven't popped that many in the last few years... and I'm a fine driver.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Where were they poppoing off from? Random places?
Did you have them lined up properly?
Stiffer CF Steering link?

We believe you on the good driver part, so yeh, it sounds like you feel something may be up, abnormal that is?
Old 11-15-2011, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

So along with this post too....

So could it be that it's just the rear alignment then? and maybe the front steering ones are caused by a flexy steering link (discussed a few pages back)?

or are people just "uncharacteristically" popping off ballcups? I'm just starting to wonder if the HD ballcups are perfectly fine.

I think its an alignment issue in the rear at least. And the front I feel that the slightest mis-alignment will pop them off. However, if it bothers you that much. Just replace them. My HD ball cups are great on my DEX410 and now are working on my DEX210
Old 11-15-2011, 08:25 AM
Team Tekin

I have yet to pop a ball cup off that shouldn't have been. While letting another driver drive my car he cased the tripple with just the rear tire at an angle...popped ball cup. Haven't popped one off since.

Regardless if you don't like the stock ball cups new ones can be chosen, your choice.

My Dex210 has been great from day one. Take the time to build the car properly and you will likely have no issues.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:29 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Where were they poppoing off from? Random places?
Did you have them lined up properly?
Stiffer CF Steering link?

We believe you on the good driver part, so yeh, it sounds like you feel something may be up, abnormal that is?
Ask anybody at the track about my anal retentive behaviors when working on my car. I'm the only guy I know that calipers EVERYthing on the car, and I always make sure that my ballcups are lined up dead center on every ball stud so the rod can fully rotate both directions.

Maybe some HD ballcups are worse than others, and those of us that pop them off just by looking at them funny got unlucky with the cups that were included in our kits.... who knows.. but I do know that I went from the HDs, to the older ones, and the problem vanished.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 143 (100%+)
Default STORMER HAS DEX210 IN STOCK

Get on it gents! STORMER is reporting (3) still in stock this morning.

***ON THE BALL CUP FRONT***

Do not use a hex wrench through the ball cup hole as a T handle to thread your cups onto the turnbuckles. It will stretch it out! As genious as that design appeared it was not intended to run a wrench through.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Originally Posted by RC Bombshells
***ON THE BALL CUP FRONT***

Do not use a hex wrench through the ball cup hole as a T handle to thread your cups onto the turnbuckles. It will stretch it out! As genious as that design appeared it was not intended to run a wrench through.
+1

I was tempted to do this when I built the car until I heard about ball cups popping off and I decided against it......... I havent popped one off yet even with some big tumbles......and mine all go on with a nice hard "snap".
Old 11-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Spares are in just placed my order for some!!
Old 11-15-2011, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I think the reason the ballcups are popping off is because after they are built according to the instructions they are pretty tight. So when adjusting camber the ballcup falls off the ballstud which weakens the snap and stretches out the ballcup.

Try pre-tapping them (I know - more work, but worth it) and then use a little grease on the threads on final assembly. It will be much easier to adjust when on the car and won't strain the ball cups.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Apex
I think the reason the ballcups are popping off is because after they are built according to the instructions, they are not easy to adjust and the ballcup falls off the ballstud which weakens the snap and stretches out the ballcup.

Try pre-tapping them (I know - more work, but worth it) and then use a little grease on the threads on final assembly. It will be much easier to adjust when on the car and won't strain the ball cups.
+1
Old 11-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Help

I stripped the diff nut that goes in the drive cup. So far I am unable to find a new since there's no spare out yet. Does anyone know what else might work?
Old 11-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slash'em1
I stripped the diff nut that goes in the drive cup. So far I am unable to find a new since there's no spare out yet. Does anyone know what else might work?
You could look at using a 22 diff nut possibly. not sure if thread size is compatible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.