R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree5Likes

Old 03-20-2017, 03:10 PM   #19141
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Gearing

Hey ya'll!!! What is a good startin point for 17.5 gearing with 4 gear mid motor. And what are people's thoughts about 4 gear vs 3 gear? I remember reading on the Durango "In the Pits" article that 4 gear had a bit more control in the air for nosing up or down. What are other advantages/disadvantages for the two options?

Thank you,
Bryan
BryanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:29 PM   #19142
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanAZ View Post
Hey ya'll!!! What is a good startin point for 17.5 gearing with 4 gear mid motor. And what are people's thoughts about 4 gear vs 3 gear? I remember reading on the Durango "In the Pits" article that 4 gear had a bit more control in the air for nosing up or down. What are other advantages/disadvantages for the two options?

Thank you,
Bryan
Depending on your track size 69t or 72t spur with a pinion anywhere from 30t to 33t.
4 gear is dead, 3 gear is the way to go
Vujkovicv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:03 PM   #19143
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredswain View Post
Sadly, 1/10 offroad is officially dead here in Houston. The tracks are only setup for large, fast 1/8 scale, with no consideration for 1/10 so getting any relevant setup information on my 210 is going to be impossible. 1/8 offroad, USGT onroad, 1/8 onroad, and 1/10 oval are the only relevant series here now. The 210 is getting shelved. It figures this would happen right as I'm starting to finally like the car.
Sorry to hear that Fred. Was so looking forward to see what you thought of the whole setup. I want to pull the trigger on the exotek chassis but want to see if it's with it.
WallyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:07 PM   #19144
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanAZ View Post

Thank you,
Bryan
I agree with the other fellow. 4 gear is probably not the way to go. 4 gear does pitch forward or backward more easily but it also pitches the car maybe too quickly. Difficult to drive though. If you are on descent traction just go to 3 gear and save yourself the frustration.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:15 PM   #19145
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm still entertained by the 3 gear vs 4 gear topic. 6 or 7 years ago when mid motor was just starting to appear, people were saying that rear motor would never die. X-Factory was saying mid motor was the future but 4 gear is the only way it works. I was on the forum touting the benefits of 3 gear and everyone said I was the dumb one. I had and hated 4 gear in my Cr2 and X6^2. I tried the original poorly made X6 3 gear and loved the way it drove. The 210 was the only car that let me run 3 gear so I bought it. It was 3 gear that got me into the car in the first place. It's still setup as a 3 gear mm.
fredswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:56 PM   #19146
Tech Apprentice

Rear motor is still the way to go on outdoor, super loose tracks, but if you're running indoor with descent traction the mm cars carry way more corner speed. I wouldn't say rear motor is dead, but 4 gear is. It makes the cars twitchy and hard to drive. That's why it went away.
Rear motor might completely go away too since there aren't very many really loose tracks left in the world.
(imo)
Vujkovicv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:13 PM   #19147
Tech Elite

I totally agree with this. On loose dirt tracks I'd still rather have 3 gear rear motor. Some people would say to go 4 gear mm but I disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vujkovicv View Post
Rear motor is still the way to go on outdoor, super loose tracks, but if you're running indoor with descent traction the mm cars carry way more corner speed. I wouldn't say rear motor is dead, but 4 gear is. It makes the cars twitchy and hard to drive. That's why it went away.
Rear motor might completely go away too since there aren't very many really loose tracks left in the world.
(imo)
Old 03-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #19148
Tech Apprentice

I like hearing that in a selfish way.

Both rollers I purchased, their tranny's were run in 4 gear. When asked why they were selling, both guys said they didn't like the car or how it drove.

wally, here. totally acceptable way to spend ones retirement income.

for Team Durango DEX210v2 #1459, ,(1459) by Exotek Racing Carbon Fiber Chassis Plate

I got free shipping with mine too.
banx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:37 AM   #19149
Tech Regular

Well I locked the slipper on my DEX 210 but I'm only running stock with it so it shouldn't hurt that transmission, if I was running modified that transmission would discentigrate.
I believe I am running the 4 gear transmission. I cannot notice a difference between 4 gear and 3 gear. Three gear is just more conveinent because less moving parts.
Castle Creations( Since April 2016)
bmag5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:09 AM   #19150
Tech Elite

I raced dirt oval over the weekend but not with a 210. I ran winged sprints with a borrowed car that I've never driven before. I've never driven a sprint car before and didn't even get a practice run. My first time with the car was the first qualifier. Everyone runs locked slippers or eliminators. I kept loosening mine until it noticeably slipped out of corners. The car was much easier to drive. I ended up 3rd in the A-main, which was good considering I hadn't raced dirt oval since 1991 and it wasn't a car that I tuned. The tune sucked btw. I don't understand why people get rid of them? The cars drive so much better and are easier to control with them.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #19151
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by banx View Post
I like hearing that in a selfish way.

Both rollers I purchased, their tranny's were run in 4 gear. When asked why they were selling, both guys said they didn't like the car or how it drove.

wally, here. totally acceptable way to spend ones retirement income.

for Team Durango DEX210v2 #1459, ,(1459) by Exotek Racing Carbon Fiber Chassis Plate

I got free shipping with mine too.
Thanks Banx. I do have a roller I bought with that chassis. But I want the newer, aluminum one, that's a bit shorter and allows the transverse shorty pack.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #19152
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 230 (100%+)

personally the 4 gear setup fit my driving style on carpet ironically.

I was able to basically drive the buggy with no brakes as I could left off throttle and the car would steer as I expected.

when I went 3 gear it took a bit getting used to. I needed to play with setup to get grip on the front and adjust my driving style.

I didn't get too much into it as by then I had the dex210f and that is one heck of a carpet car.

But, as will all things durango, I got worried too about parts support, heck, any form of support and went to different things. I do find myself looking at durango items at times on ebay till I mentally slap myself straight.

Durango will always have a special place in the heart, but I need a relationship where I am not Tina and the company is Ike when it comes to how it treats the customers.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:01 PM   #19153
Tech Addict

Banx- the deal was i would either buy them from the donor and the deal would end there or if someone sent me the bodies on their dime, i would pay to have the whole lot over nighted to Team Blue Groove, then when they returned everything to me, along with a couple free replicas, i would send the original AND a free new body back to the donor on my dime as well. I was ok with doing this and eating the cost because the alternative is me buying the four other kits i think are short, having them overnighted to me, then pull the bodies and turn right around and overnight the whole package to TBG.

As it stands, that may be what i end up doing anyway.I think the time crunch was just to short to get the word out and get this messy deal put together. You know, back in December I had thought about contacting TBG but at the time i was 1) not aware of the seriousness of the body shortage and 2) unaware of the March 31st deadline.

I do have another option though, I could just arrange for TBG to make the molds next year. That gives me another 9 months or so to come up with the bodies myself.

However this brings up the question of my dedication to the brand. This deal benefits everyone by providing a high quality source of bodies for the long run. As some of you may remember, running Team Durango this year was an experiement, basically just trying something new. I had planned on moving over to Team C next winter to try them out. However (way off subject here) Ive started building some of the kits ive picked up and so far, im not sure i will be moving to them. Lets just say after building all these Durango cars and the new 6th Gen Associated lineup, building the Team C kits felt very 1997.....what may save them is if they perform as good as everyone says they do.

So I guess at this point Ill keep anyone interested updated on the TBG status. Which as of right now, might not be alive until next year.
Alan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:06 PM   #19154
Tech Addict

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Look what i got in the mail today! The result of many long distance calls to the UK. Yes they speak English over there, but good god was iy hard to understand them on the phone. The further north i got the harder it became. But in the end many were more than happy to try and help the crazy American looking for parts for his toy car...lol
Attached Thumbnails
Durango DEX210 Thread-14902311369841150906134.jpg  
Alan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:16 PM   #19155
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_r View Post
Oh yeah, almost forgot. Look what i got in the mail today! The result of many long distance calls to the UK. Yes they speak English over there, but good god was iy hard to understand them on the phone. The further north i got the harder it became. But in the end many were more than happy to try and help the crazy American looking for parts for his toy car...lol
Does Exotec not make the aluminum gear cover anymore?
BryanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote