R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree27Likes

Old 12-21-2016, 01:20 AM   #18721
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremzeek View Post
I need to pick up some new servos for my family's fleet of DEX210's. I was going to pick up some Solar D770's. Are there any other servos you guys recommend?

My kids and wife don't race so I don't need anything fancy.
I generally run Futaba Brushless servos in all my Tier 1 racecars. But I keep a box of cheap servos on hand as spares and holdovers while servicing my assigned servos or when I first get a car and may be waiting on the permanent servo to show up. I had a couple of these and installed them in two different kits, a 2wd buggy and a stadium truck.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/aerostar...26sec-61g.html

Needless to say these servos have stayed in those cars. Look at the specifications to price ratio on these things! They aren't so fast that they feel twitchy, yet are plenty fast for racing use. Quite powerful and the resolution seems really really good to me. I'm using a Futaba 4PLS with the T-FHSS R304SB RX. They don't compare at all to my $200 Futaba's, but they feel as good or better than my $80-$100 ones. These type servos are what I now use in all Tier 2 and below cars. Hard to beat for what you pay.
Alan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:14 AM   #18722
Tech Addict

Wow, what a shop, i've ordered at ~ 8:00 am and got the shipping information at 12:00 midday, so may get the parcel tomorrow, or latly on friday!
I've got christmas hollydays till the ninth of january, starting on friday, so plenty of time to enjoy the built, you will find me in the 410 thread than!

Cat K2 / DEX410V3 / DEX410V5 / DEX210 / DEX210F / Cougar SVR /
YZ-10 '94/'95 WCS/
Spectrum DX3R
micholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:05 PM   #18723
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My oldest son was on a roll tonight. He blew out a RF hanger on his buggy and then went and broke a front arm on my wife's. I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend..

Last edited by Kremzeek; 12-23-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Kremzeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 04:57 PM   #18724
Tech Addict

Tower is having a fire sale on the DETC210v2. Only $200. Again, if I knew what was up with Durango, I'd pick one up to try on road.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LW5070&P=1
Old 12-25-2016, 11:27 PM   #18725
Tech Addict

Quote:
Tower is having a fire sale on the DETC210v2. Only $200. Again, if I knew what was up with Durango, I'd pick one up to try on road.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LW5070&P=1
Out of their lineup, only that car, the DEX8 and 410V5 are available. That's got to suck for sales right now. Not only for the holiday season but this is also the time when many people refresh their chassis'for the 2017 race season. Forced lack of sales on a hurting company is as deadly as using Ebola as a lip balm. I sent a few emails out inquiring about kit availability and I'm not getting anything back. With those fire sales it's as if Tower is clearing out stock. I really wish we had an inside guy on here. Somebody that works for them who could say, "yeah, production stopped and we shut the machines down." Or,"we can't source material XYZ right now so we're waiting on it to come in." But no, nothing. I keep tabs on their FBook page and it's funny to see all the customers come in to talk to themselves. Are all the employees bound by a gag order or something? Are their any employees anymore? Who knows man.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:08 AM   #18726
Tech Addict

The European folks are optimistic about TD getting a new distributor over there, but I don't think that's going to turn the brand around. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:57 AM   #18727
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm thinking about converting my car back to rear motor and then getting a bomber body so I can turn the car into a street stock oval car. I don't have a chance to ever make it to the offroad track. We are trying to grow oval racing here right now and the 210 would be a good car for that class.
fredswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:03 PM   #18728
Tech Addict

I finally heard back from Tower about the window masks that were missing with that Hobbico Germany packaged DEX210v2 body. They weren't able to get masks from TD (which isn't surprising at this point) but they let me know that the body is discontinued. Sigh..
Old 12-28-2016, 03:04 AM   #18729
Tech Addict

Quote:
I finally heard back from Tower about the window masks that were missing with that Hobbico Germany packaged DEX210v2 body. They weren't able to get masks from TD (which isn't surprising at this point) but they let me know that the body is discontinued. Sigh..
If it helps any, check out the pics I posted a little while ago showing the aftermarket bodies made for the V1 and V2. Some of those bodies are pretty sick. There's something about a streamlined standard buggy body that to me is just awesome. I'm apparently a glutton for pain. As I grab up some older Durango cars to run as backups, I'm dealing with the body blues myself. It's like nobody gave a damn about Durango enough to keep up a supply of older support parts. A company like Team Blue Groove out of Canada really needs to get in on the Durango cars. They do bodies for many hard to find vintage cars; and modern if they were rare. They would sell a bunch for sure. I've bought a lot of Tamiya and old RC10 repro's from them. I'll have to shoot them an email to see if they're interested. I'd even supply the original bodies to take molds from. Can you imagine if all the sudden you could buy DEX210,V2,V3 410V1 thru V4 and DEST bodies? Once word got out, tell me they wouldn't sell a bunch!
Old 12-28-2016, 06:20 AM   #18730
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)

Honestly its durango who made the situation like that. You gotta start carrying about your own cars for someone else to care too. But maybe that will change.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:20 PM   #18731
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_r View Post
If it helps any, check out the pics I posted a little while ago showing the aftermarket bodies made for the V1 and V2. Some of those bodies are pretty sick. There's something about a streamlined standard buggy body that to me is just awesome.
Yeah, there's that guy in the UK that's selling reproductions of the V2 body. Maybe I'll start making reproductions of the window masks...
Old 12-28-2016, 08:59 PM   #18732
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_r View Post
If it helps any, check out the pics I posted a little while ago showing the aftermarket bodies made for the V1 and V2. Some of those bodies are pretty sick. There's something about a streamlined standard buggy body that to me is just awesome. I'm apparently a glutton for pain. As I grab up some older Durango cars to run as backups, I'm dealing with the body blues myself. It's like nobody gave a damn about Durango enough to keep up a supply of older support parts. A company like Team Blue Groove out of Canada really needs to get in on the Durango cars. They do bodies for many hard to find vintage cars; and modern if they were rare. They would sell a bunch for sure. I've bought a lot of Tamiya and old RC10 repro's from them. I'll have to shoot them an email to see if they're interested. I'd even supply the original bodies to take molds from. Can you imagine if all the sudden you could buy DEX210,V2,V3 410V1 thru V4 and DEST bodies? Once word got out, tell me they wouldn't sell a bunch!
I just bought a V1 dex210 body, brand nip, from 'omni models' (pretty sure that was the seller)on ebay, received it yesterday (12/27/2016), paid... $5.70+$1.99s/h
roosterreagan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:56 PM   #18733
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterreagan View Post
I just bought a V1 dex210 body, brand nip, from 'omni models' (pretty sure that was the seller)on ebay, received it yesterday (12/27/2016), paid... $5.70+$1.99s/h
Yeah sometimes TowerHobbies clears out old stock on EBay through their store there (Omnimodels), I've gotten lucky like that a few times. I'm looking forward to getting this DEX210V1 restored and back on the track so that I have an excuse to buy and paint up some of those cool looking aftermarket bodies! Unfortunately that car is last on the list to get done so it might be a minute. I've had to convert a few of my TD vehicles from SPEC setups over to Mod, and that ain't cheap. There's no SPEC racing nearby so I don't know what I was thinking outfitting those cars like that. On larger tracks, 17.5's have a hard time competing with 7.5's... But I'm getting there slowly.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:48 PM   #18734
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I've got a Penguin body at the paint shop for the Dex210f, they have all kinds of cool bodies, too bad they don't have a v5 body to match the 210f
Great Hobbies, Hobbico, Skyrc, Exotek
rcjunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:40 PM   #18735
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Yeah, there's that guy in the UK that's selling reproductions of the V2 body. Maybe I'll start making reproductions of the window masks...
I know that you want the window masks that should have come with the body but you can make you own just as easily and they fit the body better that the window masks that come with the bodies.

All you need is some 2 inch wide masking tape a ball point pen and scissors and a ruler to cut them out nice and straight.

take the tape and cover the outside of the window completely with the 2 inch tape. make sure that the tape goes into the little window outline on all the bodies. Once you have the tape on there nice and clean and flat just take the ball point pen and put the tip into the little groove and simply trace around the window and cut it out! There you have a perfect mask of the windows. The outside left is for the inside right and the outside right is for the inside left. As for the front just trace it out and flip it around it is symetric. I usually cut it out on a piece of glass or some very clean surface that it can't stick to obviously and use either scissors or a exacto knife.

Hopefully that makes sense!

P.S i like to use the blue masking painters tape and the piece i cut them on I got from a sewing store. Jo-Anns fabrics!
Turtle Speed is offline   Reply With Quote