R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree26Likes

Old 09-22-2016, 10:11 AM   #18346
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredswain View Post
Parts manufacturing doesn't seem to be the issue. The distributors aren't ordering enough. If Hobbico is the US distributor who orders everything from Durango then I guess it lies with them to order more.

Situations like this are difficult for companies. They don't have the resources to self distribute around the world so they go through outside distributors. They are then dependent on those distributors to get those products into retail outlets and keep the supply up. If they do a poor job of getting retailers, the demand for everything falls. Unfortunately, they are going to be under contract with the manufacturer so it can really hurt the manufacturer. I'm working on opening a Brewery and the distributor issue is the same. You don't want to be completely dependent on someone else outside or your organization doing their job or not. It can help you grow or kill you entirely.
Fred I'm ready to do some tasting when you are!!!
WallyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:10 PM   #18347
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremzeek View Post
I dunno. Hobbico is more than just the distributor. They own the Durango brand as well as their main distributor, Great Planes. You'd think that they could at least get the kits and parts to Tower, which is also part of the Hobbico corporation.
You've got to understand the organization structure of large companies. Hobbico the company may own Durango but it isn't like there's only 5 people in the whole place that make every decision. Most of the people that work for Hobbico will have no role whatsoever in ownership decisions for any of the company's acquisitions. The distributor side of things will operate just like any other distributor. You'll have people in different departments that don't interact with those in other departments or have any knowledge of what they do and what their decisions are. You may even have entirely different accounting groups for each department that only concerns themselves with only what their department deals with. You'll most likely find that while Hobbico the company owns Durango, the people within the company doing the daily work have no interaction whatsoever with Durango.

The company that I work for was built from the remains of the previous company. That company had been bought out by another group that ultimately only looked at it as an investment. They took no direct interest and have no direction influence over the company. They started to see their investment fall behind so they cut off funding entirely. A company that can't afford to make product can't survive very long and they went bankrupt. The fact that Hobbico owns Durango doesn't really mean all that much in regards to parts ordering. You've probably got a few different narrow sighted accounting departments making decisions for their best interests but have completely lost sight of the big picture. That makes things tough on the people actually working in the company, such as Doughty.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:18 PM   #18348
Tech Apprentice

That's all fine and dandy but there is no parts on Durangos website therefore I still believe it's Durango problem not the distributors. The v3 has been unavailable for months now. Durango are definitely hiding something.
I do hope I'm wrong though.
Vujkovicv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:33 PM   #18349
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What it seems to me is that there is no distributor issue. They stopped or delayed production of some kits/parts. Some parts might become "unavailable" in the near future. Parts are showing "unavailable" even on their own website. I doubt that Durango relies on a distributor to get their own products. I am really hoping for them to be working on new products and not just slowly canning another model.
Dialed-RC Hobbies (www.dialedhobbies.com), SOAR Seiki USA
Bellgate Distributor (www.bellgatedistributor.com), PR Racing USA
JRSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:38 PM   #18350
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vujkovicv View Post
That's all fine and dandy but there is no parts on Durangos website therefore I still believe it's Durango problem not the distributors. The v3 has been unavailable for months now. Durango are definitely hiding something.
I do hope I'm wrong though.
It is a weird thing for sure. To have the Dex210v3, Dex210F, Desc, Detc all out of stock for months is strange especially when I log onto Great Planes to work on the hobby shop order and see GP promoting the brand. What pisses me off my sales rep who called weekly vanished into thin air since March or April when the Durango stuff started to disappear. Don't like that GP won't email me back after we spend thousands of dollars a week with them.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:07 PM   #18351
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
It is a weird thing for sure. To have the Dex210v3, Dex210F, Desc, Detc all out of stock for months is strange especially when I log onto Great Planes to work on the hobby shop order and see GP promoting the brand. What pisses me off my sales rep who called weekly vanished into thin air since March or April when the Durango stuff started to disappear. Don't like that GP won't email me back after we spend thousands of dollars a week with them.
Someone on FB mentioned that they tried calling GP about the Durango situation and was automatically transferred over to Tower.
Kremzeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:23 PM   #18352
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This is hobbico/great planes letting Durango just crash and burn. Sure enough that arrma doesn't have issues at all with parts and support. For sure they updated and released their models again this year after just a year out. They are looking for a buyer/investor.... Anyone?
Dialed-RC Hobbies (www.dialedhobbies.com), SOAR Seiki USA
Bellgate Distributor (www.bellgatedistributor.com), PR Racing USA
JRSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:50 PM   #18353
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Someone on FB mentioned that they tried calling GP about the Durango situation and was automatically transferred over to Tower.
Sounds like that sales rep wanted the easy way out instead of helping their customer out with a legit question. That is because the sales people have no clue about the hobby and are just order takers and thats it.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:14 PM   #18354
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 234 (100%+)

I think for the fun of it I'll give them a call too today after I get off the phone with the dealer about a pickup.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:50 PM   #18355
Tech Addict

Just noticed that the exotek chassis is now $99!!!
WallyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:51 AM   #18356
Tech Legend

I think the rear dex210v3 shock tower price dropped too, few other things too that I am going to pickup for my desc410.

decided to thin the heard and focus on durango 1/10 4wd vehicles:

Team Durango DEX210V2 Buggy Plan B Chassis Tons of Spares!

Last edited by Cain; 09-24-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:35 AM   #18357
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
decided to thin the heard and focus on durango 1/10 4wd vehicles:

Team Durango DEX210V2 Buggy Plan B Chassis Tons of Spares!
Didn't you buy a B6 too?
Kremzeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:14 AM   #18358
Tech Legend

Quote:
Didn't you buy a B6 too?
yup, focusing on durangos for 4wd vehicles hence why I am keeping the desc410 I recently bought and the dex410v5.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:27 PM   #18359
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyRC View Post
Just noticed that the exotek chassis is now $99!!!
It goes on sale from time to time. I bought mine back in March for $39.
ngrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:47 PM   #18360
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrover View Post
It goes on sale from time to time. I bought mine back in March for $39.
Assuming you mean the graphite one, not the new alloy chassis they came out with that narrows the vehicle.

Went ahead and ordered some of there desc410 stuff. For the life of me, I can't find the darn RR hangar that came with my vehicle, luckily have a NIB Spare but can kick myself right now.