R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree23Likes

Old 06-29-2016, 02:19 PM   #17896
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
If had to work on the gearbox as well then neither would have been released #TooManyProjects
Does that mean there's a chance?
Old 06-29-2016, 02:26 PM   #17897
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)

very nice indeed!

With a lot of mid motor cars these days having a "dirt" version and Plan B saying there conversion works fine on all surfaces in mid motor config, would the exotek be a good option for that too and if so, what do you recommend doing different? (like say the bracing side rails removed, etc)
Old 06-29-2016, 03:32 PM   #17898
Tech Adept

Would the normal dex210 body mount straight onto that new chassis?
offroader47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:23 PM   #17899
ekt
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader47 View Post
The listing on the Exotek site says you need a 22 3.0 body.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:41 PM   #17900
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekt View Post
The listing on the Exotek site says you need a 22 3.0 body.
That's a big plus right there since the DEX210 v2 or v3 bodies are backordered everywhere.
Kremzeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:24 PM   #17901
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader47 View Post
The stock body will actually fit, yes. But there will be a huge gap because the new chassis is much narrower than the stock body. Maybe you could fill the gap with cut foam if you are trying to use up your supply of DEX bodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
very nice indeed!

With a lot of mid motor cars these days having a "dirt" version and Plan B saying there conversion works fine on all surfaces in mid motor config, would the exotek be a good option for that too and if so, what do you recommend doing different? (like say the bracing side rails removed, etc)
If you have lots of time to test and tune then I'm sure a setup can be developed for dirt. 3 gear or 4 gear would go a long way to making it work. Would not run without the chassis built as shown. Each component insures proper chassis durability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredswain View Post
Does that mean there's a chance?
A small chance... depends on how these conversions sell There would be a better chance if you designed the gear box and offered for printing. The holes are there in the chassis for you even.

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:44 PM   #17902
Tech Addict

Mike... Looks great. !!! I hope they sell great !!!
THANKS SO MUCH!!j

Get on it Fred!!
Do you think the laydown would do well on clay. Or are you thinking more for carpet??
WallyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:56 PM   #17903
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekim View Post
What are some of the issues. I have one on backorder but if it's junk I might cancel
I have both cars and run the V3 on high grip clay and my 210F on carpet. Both cars are very competitive contrary to one persons opinion. They do have some issues in developing some slop in the rear arms and front castor blocks but I've been able to keep that to a minimum just by doing regular maintenance and shimming extra where necessary. I wouldn't worry about buying the car and being competitive, you will want to see what parts availability is like in your area and buy extras when you can. For me I'm my own hobby shop and have a ton of spares since Durango isn't as supported where I race.
Laker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:59 PM   #17904
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremzeek View Post
That's a big plus right there since the DEX210 v2 or v3 bodies are backordered everywhere.
I run the jc finisher body with a revolution design plus 11 chassis and I have no trouble with it.
But don't know if there in stock anywhere.
offroader47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:22 AM   #17905
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyRC View Post
Mike... Looks great. !!! I hope they sell great !!!
THANKS SO MUCH!!j

Get on it Fred!!
Do you think the laydown would do well on clay. Or are you thinking more for carpet??
I already 3D print rc car parts so it's possible. The question is whether or not I'm continuing with this car. I've already stripped everything out of it in preparation to sell it. I've done this several times though.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:38 AM   #17906
Tech Addict

MikeR,

You did a great job with those chassis, congrats, it looks realy nice!
Would not fit an dex210f body, with some modification at the rear, on it, instead of an 22 3.0?

Actually, i do not like those tlr body, or any other stelth cap forward once at all.

Off topic on: MikeR, what is the benefit of those straight line gears in the tlr 22 laydown gearbox?
I always ment, if you put the idler gear more up/down, or closer in vertical line to the diff gear, you could go much further to the rear end with the motor and spur/top shaft, even you get more room for battery and electrics instalation too, or does that have better power transmission/gear mesh, with the straighter line?

I've seen many people putting extra weight to the rear end of the layed down gearbox cars, to bringing power down, or did they genarally do something wrong setupwise?

Would be interresting me very much...

Cat K2 / DEX410V3 / DEX410V5 / DEX210 / DEX210F / Cougar SVR /
YZ-10 '94/'95 WCS/
Spectrum DX3R

Last edited by micholix; 06-30-2016 at 10:49 AM.
micholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:10 PM   #17907
Tech Elite

Based on our tire sizes a 40F/60R weight distribution is best. However, if you put that much weight forward but sacrifice rear grip in the process, the trade off wasn't worth it. With 2wd we make sacrifices that don't need to be made in 4wd in the name of putting power to the ground. Getting everything low down in the chassis is optimum but not always possible. Many tracks today are such high grip that you can get everything low, take lots of weight off the rear, and still have rear grip. That's where a laydown gearbox is nice. If those cars have a hard time getting rear grip, whether that's forward grip or side grip in corners, that's a sign that too much weight was taken off the rear.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:58 PM   #17908
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredswain View Post
Based on our tire sizes a 40F/60R weight distribution is best. However, if you put that much weight forward but sacrifice rear grip in the process, the trade off wasn't worth it. With 2wd we make sacrifices that don't need to be made in 4wd in the name of putting power to the ground. Getting everything low down in the chassis is optimum but not always possible. Many tracks today are such high grip that you can get everything low, take lots of weight off the rear, and still have rear grip. That's where a laydown gearbox is nice. If those cars have a hard time getting rear grip, whether that's forward grip or side grip in corners, that's a sign that too much weight was taken off the rear.
Hi Fred,

Thanks again, for the description, i allways do much appreciate that!

Cat K2 / DEX410V3 / DEX410V5 / DEX210 / DEX210F / Cougar SVR /
YZ-10 '94/'95 WCS/
Spectrum DX3R
micholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:27 PM   #17909
Tech Addict

One thing that I like about the new Exotek chasis is it looks like the battery can be put more rearward than the Plan B Chasis.

I hope these sell well. Would love to see them make one for the DEST...
WallyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:44 PM   #17910
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Looks like I what my ride will be for this indoor season. Guess I will be looking to order the new chassis from Exotek. Looks great.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote