Like Tree23Likes

Old 04-01-2016, 10:17 AM   #17551
Tech Addict

Thanks Fred !!!
WallyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:59 AM   #17552
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)

with the way the Intech car has simularities to the dex210 with some differences, I wonder your thoughts on that one fred?
Old 04-01-2016, 12:34 PM   #17553
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Since I only have pictures to go off of, it looks to be a geometric carbon copy of the Durango. I don't know anything about the quality of their parts such as their flexibility or durability though.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:39 PM   #17554
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredswain View Post
Since I only have pictures to go off of, it looks to be a geometric carbon copy of the Durango. I don't know anything about the quality of their parts such as their flexibility or durability though.
The new 2.0 has some changes. I just noticed they came out with a "lite" version as well. The front servo is layed down and further back. Different front bracing with aluminum bulkhead and bracing. The steering post are vertical. May help with bump steer? Sideways shorty. Transmission case has changed. Little larger. Looks like they have a bulkier (is that a word?) gear diff. Aluminum shock caps, carbon fiber shock towers. Looks pretty nice?!?!
Old 04-01-2016, 02:38 PM   #17555
Tech Legend

yeah the main thing I was wondering was your opinion on the steering post setup and the shocks as I recall some concerns you had with the dex on those.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:16 PM   #17556
Tech Elite

I didn't even notice it. I haven't looked that closely at the pictures.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #17557
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
yeah the main thing I was wondering was your opinion on the steering post setup and the shocks as I recall some concerns you had with the dex on those.
It's hard to tell. I can't find a manual online. And they don't list dimensions of shock shaft length, would like to see one in person to see if they have addressed some of the issues? I like the c-clip or is it a e-clip shock shafts and not having to deal with loc-tite on those little screws for the shock shafts. Would be easier to make changes at track and not worry about shock piston coming off.. I guess I could email them and find out.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:34 AM   #17558
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default New front arm option: B5 Arms

Want a readily available flat front arm? The B5 flat arms are an easy swap with only minor modifications. I had a b5m for a bit, but sold it due to the fact I always liked my dex more. I did hang on to a couple arms though for testing. The geometry on the arms is nearly identical to the V2/V3 arms. Below is a list of modifications to make them work.

Must grind the stops on the front bulkhead where the droop screws rest off. There is bracing on the b5 arms that will interfere with this.

I used a .5 mm shim between the arm and the front of the bulkhead to space the arm forward a pinch and take the excess slop out of the arm.

On the shocks, you will want to swap out the lower pivot ball for the style of pivot ball that is used on the rear shocks. I also used a .5mm shim between the front of the pivot ball and the arm to remove the minor slop. You can also use b5 shock ends and eyelets as well if you have them laying around, but would suggest using the b5 lower shock cups as well if you do.

I would also suggest using the v2 21.5mm shock bodies and v2 shafts if you are currently running v1 front shocks. If not, there is only about 1/16" of bump travel after the chassis has bottomed out.

All in all the swap took me about 15 minutes to complete, and now I can find arms for my car anywhere. I have never broke the stock ones, but like to replace them to keep the suspension fresh.
Attached Thumbnails
Durango DEX210 Thread-p1010048-2-.jpg   Durango DEX210 Thread-p1010049.jpg  
ricerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 05:55 AM   #17559
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricerscott View Post
Want a readily available flat front arm? The B5 flat arms are an easy swap with only minor modifications. I had a b5m for a bit, but sold it due to the fact I always liked my dex more. I did hang on to a couple arms though for testing. The geometry on the arms is nearly identical to the V2/V3 arms. Below is a list of modifications to make them work.

Must grind the stops on the front bulkhead where the droop screws rest off. There is bracing on the b5 arms that will interfere with this.

I used a .5 mm shim between the arm and the front of the bulkhead to space the arm forward a pinch and take the excess slop out of the arm.

On the shocks, you will want to swap out the lower pivot ball for the style of pivot ball that is used on the rear shocks. I also used a .5mm shim between the front of the pivot ball and the arm to remove the minor slop. You can also use b5 shock ends and eyelets as well if you have them laying around, but would suggest using the b5 lower shock cups as well if you do.

I would also suggest using the v2 21.5mm shock bodies and v2 shafts if you are currently running v1 front shocks. If not, there is only about 1/16" of bump travel after the chassis has bottomed out.

All in all the swap took me about 15 minutes to complete, and now I can find arms for my car anywhere. I have never broke the stock ones, but like to replace them to keep the suspension fresh.
Sweet, you like as opposed to stock V1 style? Now just need something for the DESC/DEST rear that break to often.
chadp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:15 AM   #17560
Tech Legend

very nice mod!
Old 04-03-2016, 07:50 AM   #17561
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadp View Post
Sweet, you like as opposed to stock V1 style? Now just need something for the DESC/DEST rear that break to often.
I like the flat arms much better then the v1 style. Mainly for ground clearance reasons. The gull-wing is just a little to extreme. For tuning you can also use the b5 gull-wings which are a little less extreme than the v1 arms.

Unfortunately I don't think there is a reasonable solution for the sc/st rear arms, They are much longer than any other arm out there. I have compared them to a handful of others and couldn't find a good replacement without significantly changes the rear end geometry. That was something I didn't want to do, as I still believe the DESC210 was the best handling short bus I ever drove.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:57 AM   #17562
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricerscott View Post

My friend Barry said something that finally affected my direction. He said that instead of spending so much time and effort on this car to fix it's issues by using parts from another car, why not just run the other car? He had a good point.
fredswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:03 AM   #17563
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredswain View Post
My friend Barry said something that finally affected my direction. He said that instead of spending so much time and effort on this car to fix it's issues by using parts from another car, why not just run the other car? He had a good point.
Good point

What about the shock tower height too in changing to flat arms. On the b5m it isnt just a straight swap to the straight arms unless you change to the straight arm shock tower too or is this why you are using the longer shock bodies I bet? Something to consider
vr6cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:29 AM   #17564
Tech Addict

Fred, are you going to the TLR 3.0???
Old 04-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #17565
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr6cj View Post
Good point

What about the shock tower height too in changing to flat arms. On the b5m it isnt just a straight swap to the straight arms unless you change to the straight arm shock tower too or is this why you are using the longer shock bodies I bet? Something to consider
This is why I suggest running the v2 shock bodies and shafts. They are shorter than the v1's. You will gain back the up travel that is needed by switching to the flat arms.

Fred, the reason I don't switch is that there is still a lot I love about the dex. I am very comfortable with my car, and it is very easy to drive. Plus, outside of the arms I have a ton of spare parts to keep running them for years to come.