R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree33Likes

Old 02-17-2016, 09:54 AM   #17401
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdyche View Post
With the AE cars we have been running 1 set of planetary gears in the differential on clay and it is virtually indistinguishable from a ball diff.
cool thanks for the info. What kind of oil weights did you go with for that ball diff feel? Also, would you recommend doing this with plastic gears or only steel when you run 1 set versus the full 2?
Old 02-17-2016, 10:50 AM   #17402
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I switched to an Associated SC10 gear diff since I didn't want to deal with the maintenance of the ball diff. The gear diff came already assembled and sealed with my used kit.

I actually had the ball diff start to slip on me which is why I tried to tighten it down, then rebuilt it but is still barked on me even though it was tightened all the way down.

VINTAGE: Proud owner of an RC10 CE purchased waaay back in '92.
SORTA OLD: HPI RSR4 3 Evo nitro (hasn't been run in a long time).
MODERN: Durango DEX210v1. Rustler RTR purchased Feb '16 for my 5 yr-old daughter.
emerilnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:13 PM   #17403
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to bdyche Send a message via AIM to bdyche Send a message via Yahoo to bdyche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
cool thanks for the info. What kind of oil weights did you go with for that ball diff feel? Also, would you recommend doing this with plastic gears or only steel when you run 1 set versus the full 2?
5k-7k. I've only ever had metal gears. The gear diff for the DEX210V3 has metal gears as well.
bdyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:07 AM   #17404
Tech Addict

Fred,
I know your a fan of TLR ball cups, have you looked at item # TLR231029 at Amain. If you used those on the standard inner steering link, it would drop it down a few mm.

I just built the turnbuckles up. They are 3.5mm X 50 mm TLR Ones. Have the RDRP steering rack which lowers it more. I bought the offset to keep them away from the shocks since those ball studs are horizontal. Since the original rack is vertical, you can lower the inner one. Therefore less shims.

I will post pics when I can.
WallyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:00 AM   #17405
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyRC View Post
Fred,
I know your a fan of TLR ball cups, have you looked at item # TLR231029 at Amain. If you used those on the standard inner steering link, it would drop it down a few mm.

I just built the turnbuckles up. They are 3.5mm X 50 mm TLR Ones. Have the RDRP steering rack which lowers it more. I bought the offset to keep them away from the shocks since those ball studs are horizontal. Since the original rack is vertical, you can lower the inner one. Therefore less shims.

I will post pics when I can.
Those don't actually change any geometry. The ball isn't lower. The link is merely angled going into the cup. The actual location of the ball is what matters.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:20 PM   #17406
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredswain View Post
Those don't actually change any geometry. The ball isn't lower. The link is merely angled going into the cup. The actual location of the ball is what matters.
You are 100% right. I wrote this really late and was thinking if the turnbuckle was lower it would help but the pivot point hasn't changed. My bad. In my case with the horizontal ball stud it should work great to give more clearance from the shock at full turn.

I will post those pics when I can.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:30 AM   #17407
Tech Addict

Smile My front end mod, the 2nd!

Hello everyone,

You may have seen my steering mod, a fiew pages back?
Now i would like to show you some more, i'll try at the front end of my 210!

I've milled my own front bulk head, actually i've modified a kit plastic one, to get an 20* kick-up angle.

I still have to wait for some parts to arrive and to draw up some parts for the machinist, so it will take some time to finish my projekt, but i want to show/share the steps with you.

In the following pictures you can see, what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Durango DEX210 Thread-image.jpg  

Cat K2 / DEX410V3 / DEX410V5 / DEX210 / DEX210F / Cougar SVR /
YZ-10 '94/'95 WCS/
Spectrum DX3R

Last edited by micholix; 02-20-2016 at 03:38 AM.
micholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:32 AM   #17408
Tech Addict

Sorry, i only can upload one pic per post, with my ipad....
Attached Thumbnails

YZ-10 '94/'95 WCS/
Spectrum DX3R
Old 02-20-2016, 02:35 AM   #17409
Tech Addict

...and one more!
As you can see, i still have to drill new holes for the thread, for the front brace, but as i'm laying down my servo to the chassis, it will be no problem, so i think!?
Attached Thumbnails

YZ-10 '94/'95 WCS/
Spectrum DX3R
Old 02-20-2016, 06:48 AM   #17410
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Very interesting. What benefit are you looking to derive from this mod?

VINTAGE: Proud owner of an RC10 CE purchased waaay back in '92.
SORTA OLD: HPI RSR4 3 Evo nitro (hasn't been run in a long time).
MODERN: Durango DEX210v1. Rustler RTR purchased Feb '16 for my 5 yr-old daughter.
emerilnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:48 AM   #17411
Tech Addict

Micholix,
I see your modified the plastic front bulkhead to decrease to front kickup. Is it possible to to maybe heat the aluminum a little and bend it to decrease the kick up as well?

Everybody out there would it weaken it?
Answer to other persons question. With the high grip tracks of today, the 25 and 30 degree kick-up is too much, 20 degrees is probably more ideal.

Micholix, I know the HPI blitz SC had some front aluminum bulkheads that decrease the kickup at the inner hinge pin. We may be able to modify those to work as well, then the brace would still line up? Or talk to exotek. Who make an aluminum bulkhead to get them to reduce the kickup in the bulkhead at the inner hinge pin. Just some thoughts.

Fred, that would decrease the need for the outer shimming with same castor gains?!

Last edited by WallyRC; 02-20-2016 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Wrong info
Old 02-20-2016, 04:47 PM   #17412
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)

new addition to the fleet:

Old 02-20-2016, 06:15 PM   #17413
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Less front kick will give more on power steering. Caster should still be used to fine tune things.
fredswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:25 AM   #17414
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyRC View Post
Micholix,
I see your modified the plastic front bulkhead to decrease to front kickup. Is it possible to to maybe heat the aluminum a little and bend it to decrease the kick up as well?

Everybody out there would it weaken it?
Answer to other persons question. With the high grip tracks of today, the 25 and 30 degree kick-up is too much, 20 degrees is probably more ideal.

Micholix, I know the HPI blitz SC had some front aluminum bulkheads that decrease the kickup at the inner hinge pin. We may be able to modify those to work as well, then the brace would still line up? Or talk to exotek. Who make an aluminum bulkhead to get them to reduce the kickup in the bulkhead at the inner hinge pin. Just some thoughts.

Fred, that would decrease the need for the outer shimming with same castor gains?!
Hi Wally,

It is may possible, to bend the kit chassis back, but the hard coating will crack at this area and i dont know, if you do not weaken the aluminum by doing that, as the high grade aloy doesnt like bending that much and you have to be carefull too, to get the angle right!?
I dont would like to destroy my original chassis, as i want to do my own cf chassis, with an built in 20 deg kik-up.
I mad this mod, to try it out first and it was an easy modification, it took me about 15 min to do and maybe another for drilling the new top brace threads.

Sorry, i dont know the hpi blitz bulk head, could you please post a pic?

Interresting thing would be, to have an front bulk head with some inserts to change kik-up by the inner hing pin, i think i've seen somthing like that for the b5, but not sure!?

YZ-10 '94/'95 WCS/
Spectrum DX3R
Old 02-21-2016, 03:05 AM   #17415
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerilnut View Post
Very interesting. What benefit are you looking to derive from this mod?
Hi emerilnut,

As tracks get more and more high grip and less bumpy newer days, 25 or more deg. is not needed, and as fred sayed allready, it'll give more on power steering, so i think.

Off-topic:
Actually, i'm a fan of old shool dirt tracks, but its hard to find some.
Here in austria, tracks are rare and at the track i was running at, they put concret all over it, for less maintenance!?
So with my poor driving skills(because of less practicing), if you crash harder, you can be sure somthing brakes and material is much more under stress all the time...
I have to find another track now, but there are not to many here, and if, they are most for 1/8 scale nitro buggys, with huge jumps.
It is popular here, to pay a one year membership, or you can get a one day guest card, as tracks are mostly not owend by an rc store, its like a organization, or club!

YZ-10 '94/'95 WCS/
Spectrum DX3R