R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree26Likes

Old 02-16-2016, 01:00 PM   #17386
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
The hexes are total junk. I replaced my front ones with the Exotek Titanium. That was after the first weekend of running and by the 2nd weekend I also bought the Exotek rear hubs. All problems cured that easily. Why these companies can't at least give you something decent is beyond me. You can't tell me that they thought the plastic hex front and rear was a good setup. If so those people need to be fired and then need new test people to ring the cars out. Just getting the wheels on the front with the plastic hex was a pain in the ass but with the titanium ones on they fit like a glove. Hell I would of been happy with steel ones like AE uses and would cost Durango pennies. That is the crappy workmanship that keeps people from buying and always going with AE and Losi. I like my Durango but it is no when near the quality that my B5M is out of the box or the Losi 22 2.0 or 3.0. Quality is just not the same at all.
I'm actually about to buy a 22 3.0. I'm keeping the 210 as an experimental car since it is literally worthless on the used market. It will not be my race car. I like the 210F in concept but unfortunately the end of the car that stayed the same is the end that I believe needs the most help; the front end. Not being able to run a gear diff in a car that would most likely benefit most from it is a mystery as well.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:00 PM   #17387
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Also, I don't know if you guys like the bling but STRC has the carbon shock towers for $10ea. I got the ones for my DEST210 and I like them, so I order them for the DEX210. IF you type feb2016 in the coupon box you get an extra 15% off. All the parts for Durango are really cheap. Check them out. Just sharing.
Dialed-RC Hobbies (www.dialedhobbies.com), SOAR Seiki USA
Bellgate Distributor (www.bellgatedistributor.com), PR Racing USA
JRSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:05 PM   #17388
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredswain View Post
I'm actually about to buy a 22 3.0. I'm keeping the 210 as an experimental car since it is literally worthless on the used market. It will not be my race car. I like the 210F in concept but unfortunately the end of the car that stayed the same is the end that I believe needs the most help; the front end. Not being able to run a gear diff in a car that would most likely benefit most from it is a mystery as well.
What's up with the front end?
AntH3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:18 PM   #17389
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
The only problem I saw at are show with the Losi 3.0 is the rear LRC block that comes with the car is junk. In the last 3 weeks we have had 7 people break this part at are track along. I sent pics to Frank Root at Losi. The block hangs a little below the chassis and and combine it with the crappy cast aluminum and makes for lots of breakage. One guy has broken two so far.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:20 PM   #17390
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSlash View Post
Also, I don't know if you guys like the bling but STRC has the carbon shock towers for $10ea. I got the ones for my DEST210 and I like them, so I order them for the DEX210. IF you type feb2016 in the coupon box you get an extra 15% off. All the parts for Durango are really cheap. Check them out. Just sharing.
I tested those for Steve at STRC when they first came out. Between me and then I had a buddy run my 2nd DEX210 we have over 2 years on those towers with no breakage. My buddy ran 17.5 for 1 1/2 years and never broke the STRC carbon tower.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #17391
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 234 (100%+)

did you mean ball diff fredswain for the dex210F?

Maybe they will release something for that.

Very nice find on the durango STRC stuff. Right now the plan be vehicle dex210 I have here is running the strc shock tower from what I can tell or something close to it on the rear. At that price, I could pick up a spare to have, and will probably do some of the front towers too. Just trying to decide between gold or black for the ball stud stands.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:41 PM   #17392
Tech Elite

I have the STRC rear tower. It's quite tough.

I thought the gear diff is what isn't available for the 210F. Is it the ball diff? If that's the case then it does come with the diff that it should.

The problem I have with the front end is that the bellcranks are too high off the chassis. The means you have to use too many shims at the spindles to eliminate bump steer. With V2 front shock tower moves the shocks back slightly. At full turn the steering link might hit the shocks. The shocks are also too short. They don't give enough up travel. That's why I run the truck front tower. I run the V1 rear tower and shocks. I actually use V2 rear shocks up front with white series springs. I like this setup better from a geometry standpoint but unfortunately I've raised the center of gravity at each end a bit, which is a bad thing. I do prefer the V2 front arms though. I fun this setup because I need the extra up travel since I only use bladder shocks. I'll never run emulsion again. There are those that will disagree with my opinion and that's ok. I guarantee Durango disagrees with me! It's personal preference.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:44 PM   #17393
Tech Elite

Quote:
The only problem I saw at are show with the Losi 3.0 is the rear LRC block that comes with the car is junk. In the last 3 weeks we have had 7 people break this part at are track along. I sent pics to Frank Root at Losi. The block hangs a little below the chassis and and combine it with the crappy cast aluminum and makes for lots of breakage. One guy has broken two so far.
If that's the only problem then that's really not much of a problem. The suspension geometry on that car is perfect. The front arms are longer than the rears, as they should be on a car with a front end kick. That length varies with the angle of the kick. Speaking of which, I also like the ability to run a 20 nose kick angle. Unfortunately the body is absolutely hideous.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:49 PM   #17394
Tech Legend

Quote:
I have the STRC rear tower. It's quite tough.

I thought the gear diff is what isn't available for the 210F. Is it the ball diff? If that's the case then it does come with the diff that it should.
Its a composite gear diff:

internals appear to be the same as what I am using on my regular dex210. Me personally as I do run on dirt, I wouldn't mind trying this car on it with a ball diff if that becomes available, similar to what xray has going on. Speaking of that car, what are you thoughts on that?

As for your comment on the uptravel, if you do emulsion shocks, is it an issue then at all?

Went ahead and ordered 3 of the towers, with alittle gold bling too lol. Worked out to like $11.50 after discount and shipping each.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:35 PM   #17395
Tech Elite

That's cool. I thought it only could use a ball diff which would make little sense with that car. The gear is definitely the way to go for the tracks that it'll be run on.

For emulsion shocks there probably won't be an issue if you remove the little bump stop. Those are there for a reason though and I personally would rather have that small amount of soft padding. The V1 shocks all around with a slightly taller front tower would probably be perfect.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:21 PM   #17396
Tech Legend

cool thanks for the info.

Got notification I should see the DEX210F Thursday!
Old 02-16-2016, 05:44 PM   #17397
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
If that's the only problem then that's really not much of a problem. The suspension geometry on that car is perfect. The front arms are longer than the rears, as they should be on a car with a front end kick. That length varies with the angle of the kick. Speaking of which, I also like the ability to run a 20 nose kick angle. Unfortunately the body is absolutely hideous.
Ah yes , 25 degree front kick. Another historic hangover appropriate for 1980's tracks, totally unnecessary these days and a flaw for high bite tracks. Somebody kill if off please.
AntH3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:21 PM   #17398
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
I tested those for Steve at STRC when they first came out. Between me and then I had a buddy run my 2nd DEX210 we have over 2 years on those towers with no breakage. My buddy ran 17.5 for 1 1/2 years and never broke the STRC carbon tower.
that's good to know. I was babying the dest and notice they were tough so i order the ones for the dex.
JRSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:13 AM   #17399
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntH3000 View Post
Ah yes , 25 degree front kick. Another historic hangover appropriate for 1980's tracks, totally unnecessary these days and a flaw for high bite tracks. Somebody kill if off please.
The RC10, JRX-Pro and Pro-SE were 30. The Ultima and original JRX2 were 20. All aftermarket chassis were 30.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:52 AM   #17400
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to bdyche Send a message via AIM to bdyche Send a message via Yahoo to bdyche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Its a composite gear diff:

internals appear to be the same as what I am using on my regular dex210. Me personally as I do run on dirt, I wouldn't mind trying this car on it with a ball diff if that becomes available, similar to what xray has going on. Speaking of that car, what are you thoughts on that?

As for your comment on the uptravel, if you do emulsion shocks, is it an issue then at all?

Went ahead and ordered 3 of the towers, with alittle gold bling too lol. Worked out to like $11.50 after discount and shipping each.
With the AE cars we have been running 1 set of planetary gears in the differential on clay and it is virtually indistinguishable from a ball diff.
bdyche is offline   Reply With Quote