R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree26Likes

Old 02-07-2016, 01:59 AM   #17281
Tech Addict

Default Steering mod update! #3

Ok, i had a little bit time, to work on my steering mod, so i made a mounting brace out of an 1 mm aluminum sheet.
It does'nt look that nice, as it is just hand made in a fiew minutes...
It holds the servo up quit well, but i have ordered some carbon fibre sheets in different kind of thickness, so the final product will be cf than.
Attached Thumbnails
Durango DEX210 Thread-image.jpg  

Cat K2 / DEX410V3 / DEX410V5 / DEX210 / DEX210F / Cougar SVR /
YZ-10 '94/'95 WCS/
Spectrum DX3R
micholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:42 AM   #17282
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 234 (100%+)

well my race day for my dex210 didn't go as planned.

The HW ESC I have decided that it didn't want to work anymore in sensor mode after about 4 laps and bam, dead. So that is going to get an RMA back to them.

From what I can tell putting in the tranny the "right" way, I actually think I liked the feel better the other way. I can't really fully comment since not enough laps but I felt I had better weight transfer and rotation.

HOWEVER, again, this was with a:

- new esc
- beginning of day, track cold

So I can't really say it was the tranny change. Hopefully I can get a better try next time.

I will most likely have the Exotek MM bulkhead installed by then.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:02 AM   #17283
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosport View Post
Well it looks like I'm gonna have to buy a temp gun cuz I'm having issues.

I ran it up and down the street a few times just to test everything and the SP GT2.0LPF esc got hot and shut off before I could even drive it back to me. This was with the 81/23 gearing and the 5.5t Viper motor had 20 degrees endbell timing. Esc felt hot.

So I installed the fan on the esc, took endbell timing down to zero, and went to 87/18 gearing. The esc has zero timing and the DRRS is set at level one.
Took it back outside, car was quite a bit slower and it did the same thing, ran it for 5 or 6 minutes and the esc shut off, this time the esc felt warm but not hot.

Not sure what's causing this, I might frill a few holes in the body around the esc area. Maybe the motor is putting out too many amps? Any ideas?
The SP GT2 LPF manual says that 5.5t motor is the limit you can use on a 2 cell lipo or 6 cel nimh. So you can be pushing that esc to it's max.
Another thing you can check is your bearings and all driveline looking for binding or resistance as this can easily bring temps up.
manumanrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:49 AM   #17284
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I can't think of a time where I'd ever, and I mean EVER, want a 5.5T motor in a 2wd off-road car. That's way too much motor. 8.5T, even with no boost, is more than fast enough for any track anywhere, and most likely too fast for most. Get that thing out of there.
fredswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:47 AM   #17285
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
well my race day for my dex210 didn't go as planned.

The HW ESC I have decided that it didn't want to work anymore in sensor mode after about 4 laps and bam, dead. So that is going to get an RMA back to them.

From what I can tell putting in the tranny the "right" way, I actually think I liked the feel better the other way. I can't really fully comment since not enough laps but I felt I had better weight transfer and rotation.

HOWEVER, again, this was with a:

- new esc
- beginning of day, track cold

So I can't really say it was the tranny change. Hopefully I can get a better try next time.

I will most likely have the Exotek MM bulkhead installed by then.
Cain, sorry about your day out. Must of been frustrating. Hang in there. Stick with the correct MM3 and i think you will figure it out. The great thing about this car is you can go back to MM4. I think you said you are in looser type dirt. Like Fred said earlier, I had it backwards, on some loose stuff MM4 may be better.

Good luck with everything. Fred just finished the mid motor bulkhead modification. Maybe he can give us some pointers. Get that dremel ready..
WallyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:47 AM   #17286
Tech Legend

fredswain: could the orientation of the tranmission be used as a tuning aid? By that I mean, you assemble the MM 3 gear the "wrong" way, so just switch the rotation of the motor in the ESC. If it then acts I guess like a MM4 the right way, but is now lighter? Does that make sense?
Old 02-07-2016, 10:50 AM   #17287
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyRC View Post
Cain, sorry about your day out. Must of been frustrating. Hang in there. Stick with the correct MM3 and i think you will figure it out. The great thing about this car is you can go back to MM4. I think you said you are in looser type dirt. Like Fred said earlier, I had it backwards, on some loose stuff MM4 may be better.

Good luck with everything. Fred just finished the mid motor bulkhead modification. Maybe he can give us some pointers. Get that dremel ready..
yeah it did, was some great racing too wish I could have gotten in on that but oh well, next time But I did get to do some wheeler racing, man thats fun.

I think the big thing will be how much weight is on the rear I think fredswain mentioned previously. I do have some rear weights too so should be interesting.

Heck, with the tower discounts right now, may even give the dex210F a try.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:07 AM   #17288
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manumanrc View Post
The SP GT2 LPF manual says that 5.5t motor is the limit you can use on a 2 cell lipo or 6 cel nimh. So you can be pushing that esc to it's max.
Another thing you can check is your bearings and all driveline looking for binding or resistance as this can easily bring temps up.
I believe you're right from everything I've read, probably just pushing the limit of the esc, time to save up for an RX8 or an LRP SXX.
prosport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:08 AM   #17289
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredswain View Post
I can't think of a time where I'd ever, and I mean EVER, want a 5.5T motor in a 2wd off-road car. That's way too much motor. 8.5T, even with no boost, is more than fast enough for any track anywhere, and most likely too fast for most. Get that thing out of there.
Only doing one thing with this setup, drag racing friends down the street.

I wouldn't run this setup either at a dirt track, we used to use a 10.5 for that.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:32 AM   #17290
Tech Regular

Will a Tekin RX8 fit in the Dex210? I'm running a 2s stick pack.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:33 AM   #17291
Tech Initiate

Quote:
I believe you're right from everything I've read, probably just pushing the limit of the esc, time to save up for an RX8 or an LRP SXX.
That or just go with a different motor. Like Fred said above, I also never used anything lower than a 8.5T motor in any conditions.
I still use two SP GT 2.0 Pro and they are the most reliable thing I have had in a long time.
Think: an rx8 is designed for an 1/8 scale car. They are a totally different beast. If you think you need this in a 1/10 2wd buggy, I foresee your next messages complaining that your car is not durable at all. Lol.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:43 AM   #17292
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Will a Tekin RX8 fit in the Dex210? I'm running a 2s stick pack.
Not without some creativity and some 'body chop' design.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:49 AM   #17293
Tech Regular

Quote:
Not without some creativity and some 'body chop' design.
Man I was afraid of that lol.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:54 AM   #17294
Tech Regular

Quote:
That or just go with a different motor. Like Fred said above, I also never used anything lower than a 8.5T motor in any conditions.
I still use two SP GT 2.0 Pro and they are the most reliable thing I have had in a long time.
Think: an rx8 is designed for an 1/8 scale car. They are a totally different beast. If you think you need this in a 1/10 2wd buggy, I foresee your next messages complaining that your car is not durable at all. Lol.
Why do you guys insist that I'm racing on a dirt track lol? I've mentioned several times that we're just having fun drag racing and doing top speed runs on a big wide open concrete road.
Once again, I used a 10.5 motor on our dirt track.
Glad to hear the GT2.0Pro is reliable. I may sell the 5.5 for now til I can afford a high power esc to run that type of motor. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2016, 06:07 AM   #17295
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Why do you guys insist that I'm racing on a dirt track lol? I've mentioned several times that we're just having fun drag racing and doing top speed runs on a big wide open concrete road.
Once again, I used a 10.5 motor on our dirt track.
Glad to hear the GT2.0Pro is reliable. I may sell the 5.5 for now til I can afford a high power esc to run that type of motor. Thanks!
Maybe because use a 2wd buggy for drag racing is a little odd for the users of the thread.
That said, I think that it can do great. It is such a light car that a 8.5, 10.5 motor still could kick some a** if you work on traction. Put a lot of weight up front and control your throttle finger.
Maybe some wheelie bar! Lol.