Like Tree23Likes

Old 02-04-2016, 08:16 AM   #17251
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
yeah that is what I have done in the past with 4 gear, but not the case this time with 3 gear as far as fixing anything. Its like there is a certain point when it "turns" that you can feel it "nick" something. I thought maybe something was out of round and hence causing the issue but I don't see anything. Heck, wonder if I should tighten it down and run it in alot and then loosen lol.

I'll run it in this weekend and see how it goes. I got that Mid Motor bulkhead thing from Exotek on the way so will take the case apart to mod it up again anyway.

exotek did write me back and say B5 wheels are the way to go as far as offset, etc. they should take that losi part down from there site on the 12mm hex setup or state whats the best.
Your right more than likely after a few runs and then loosen the case a little the problem will go away. My 3 gear Mid did tighten up but didn't seem to have anything hitting inside. I think the tolerances are pretty close so it surely don't take too much to have something possibly catch.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:20 AM   #17252
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I've had the most problems when I combine the 4 gear and a gear diff. I've found that if I over tighten the screws holding the diff together, it seems to create spots where it sticks. New gears also suck. Once everything is broken in, I usually don't have any problems.
Kremzeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:21 AM   #17253
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)

yeah, I noticed it a bit last build before the race but didn't see a problem or temp issues on the track. vehicle had the guts to it, motor came off cool so need to adjust gearing now lol.

Curious what is the biggest pinion you can fit on the shaft and still clear the motor screws?
Old 02-04-2016, 08:30 AM   #17254
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
yeah, I noticed it a bit last build before the race but didn't see a problem or temp issues on the track. vehicle had the guts to it, motor came off cool so need to adjust gearing now lol.

Curious what is the biggest pinion you can fit on the shaft and still clear the motor screws?
I only been as high as 34/69 for stock and could still get at my motor screws. I'm sure I could get a 35 on and if I needed more after that I would just snug up the motor screws enough that I could slide the motor a little. Put the pinion on and more the motor. Once I got that set pull the pinion off and tighten the motor into place. Put the pinion back on. Not sure how big of a pinion I can go with the stock gear cover not rubbing the pinion.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:02 AM   #17255
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)

yeah I was original at 33 / 69T and motor was cold, got timing maxed on the can at 45* . Older viper red can motor, very torquey.

dropped 35T on now I beleive.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:23 AM   #17256
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I run 72/34 with 40 degree timing with the new Reedy M3....rips pretty good. I have no issues with cover fitting.
kerby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:42 PM   #17257
Tech Regular

Sounds like I'm way off with gearing, I'm at 81/23. Didn't know where to start, just gonna be running around the street and driveway, might go to indoor dirt track though soon.
prosport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:52 PM   #17258
csi
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Cool! Based on what you have seen, do see any issue with the stock plastic C-hubs then with the desc210 front steering hubs from exotek?

hope to make some serious headway on getting my vehicles ready for saturday.
It should work fine, will fit better then the RDRP ones.
csi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:19 PM   #17259
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosport View Post
Sounds like I'm way off with gearing, I'm at 81/23. Didn't know where to start, just gonna be running around the street and driveway, might go to indoor dirt track though soon.
I was in the same boat as you. I asked about this in earlier posts (Post #17111). I'm at 87/25. Car runs plenty fast for me tooling around the cul-de-sac, driveway, and a local park.

With that ratio, my ESC and motor temps don't get over 80 F so there's plenty of room for going higher gearing. I would take temps to make sure you're not cooking anything when you're playing with ratios.

VINTAGE: Proud owner of an RC10 CE purchased waaay back in '92.
SORTA OLD: HPI RSR4 3 Evo nitro (hasn't been run in a long time).
MODERN: Durango DEX210v1. Rustler RTR purchased Feb '16 for my 5 yr-old daughter.
emerilnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:51 PM   #17260
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol123 View Post
No need to take the driveshaft out, just poke the allen wrench through from behind and turn the other wheel until you hear it click into the slot.
It took me 2 seconds to do this and now the car is a rocket! Thanks a million!
Old 02-04-2016, 06:33 PM   #17261
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerilnut View Post
I was in the same boat as you. I asked about this in earlier posts (Post #17111). I'm at 87/25. Car runs plenty fast for me tooling around the cul-de-sac, driveway, and a local park.

With that ratio, my ESC and motor temps don't get over 80 F so there's plenty of room for going higher gearing. I would take temps to make sure you're not cooking anything when you're playing with ratios.
I'll watch the heat, I'm gonna go to an 81/27 this weekend, that should be a happy medium for now. I'm running a 5.5t Viper motor with a Speed Passion GT 2.0 120amp esc, and a 5000mah 70C SMC 2s battery. It is by far the fastest RC car I've ran down the street lol, what a blast.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:22 AM   #17262
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosport View Post
I'll watch the heat, I'm gonna go to an 81/27 this weekend, that should be a happy medium for now. I'm running a 5.5t Viper motor with a Speed Passion GT 2.0 120amp esc, and a 5000mah 70C SMC 2s battery. It is by far the fastest RC car I've ran down the street lol, what a blast.
Unless your just doing a top speed run that motor is over geared. For a 5.5 you should be more like a 20 tooth pinion.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:27 AM   #17263
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It is my personal belief that tuning around motor temperature is wrong. At least, tuning around only motor temperature. Gear for the fastest times at your track while at the same time watching your temps. The setup that gives the most motor heat on the edge isn't necessarily going to be the fastest.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:13 AM   #17264
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredswain View Post
It is my personal belief that tuning around motor temperature is wrong. At least, tuning around only motor temperature. Gear for the fastest times at your track while at the same time watching your temps. The setup that gives the most motor heat on the edge isn't necessarily going to be the fastest.
Totally true, and I agree 100%. I just think that without lap times (in my case) I just need to make sure that I'm not geared in such a way that is dangerous to the car or its components. I wouldn't want to have my car be as fast as I want but damaging itself because everything was getting too hot.

VINTAGE: Proud owner of an RC10 CE purchased waaay back in '92.
SORTA OLD: HPI RSR4 3 Evo nitro (hasn't been run in a long time).
MODERN: Durango DEX210v1. Rustler RTR purchased Feb '16 for my 5 yr-old daughter.
emerilnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:25 PM   #17265
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
Unless your just doing a top speed run that motor is over geared. For a 5.5 you should be more like a 20 tooth pinion.
I did not know this. Is there a chart or website that suggests gearing for various motors?

I'm currently at 81/23 but I do have an 18t pinion I could use til I buy a 20t.
I also have an 87t spur in my box.