R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree23Likes

Old 08-20-2015, 05:07 AM   #16426
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roken View Post
Gee, I was just trying to help. You really don't need those external limiters. I'm running my v2 in mm 3 gear configuration and don't have a problem with the v2 suspension geo. if you are doing all that stuff like putting rear shocks on the front and mixing shock towers then maybe you should just try a different brand.
How did the MM3 compare to the MM4?....I just switched and I'm curious what to expect
kerby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:53 AM   #16427
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Most of the places I go during the winter have really good traction so I think 3 gear MM would be fine and especially if running stock to save more weight. A lot of guys are running 3 gear in mod as well so might do that.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:40 AM   #16428
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roken View Post
Gee, I was just trying to help. You really don't need those external limiters. I'm running my v2 in mm 3 gear configuration and don't have a problem with the v2 suspension geo. if you are doing all that stuff like putting rear shocks on the front and mixing shock towers then maybe you should just try a different brand.
I'm not really sure why me learning about my car and fixing issues that I believe to be flaws so that it works the way that I think it should, again on MY car, is so offensive to you? I've found that the V2 suspension geometry is inherently flawed and I've explained in detail why and how to fix it. Why is that so offensive? You can either agree or disagree with that opinion. It won't change mine.

Why should I go buy a different car with my money when I can just fix what I already own? On top of that, I'm sharing my findings with others. You can choose to try those fixes or you can just blindly insult me for actually learning and engineering a solution. Most people choose the latter but then again most people just want the answer and don't want to work for it, such as just blindly buying another car and hoping for the best.

Each car has good and bad design features. I like the 210 for the gearbox. I love the versatility of it. I also happen to like the way the V1 body looks. The car is easily adjustable and is fairly durable. It also shares the inherent suspension geometry of the Associated cars, which is proven. I personally think that the only car right now with truly correct suspension geometry (assuming the 20 nose kick is used) is the 22 2.0 but I'm not spending money to buy one when there are other areas of that car that I don't like. I didn't like the limitation in up travel on the 210 shocks and I've fixed that. I do wish the chassis had more battery mount options than just down the middle and have played with saddle packs. I may again but for now our local track is very high grip and it works. Why should I replace the car when I've fixed the main issues I didn't like? So I can try to learn about the things that I don't like about another car and do it all over again? There isn't a car out there right now that I think is perfect in every way. I'd love to see aspects of several combined into one. I know you are probably thinking something profound like, "have you ever designed an rc car?" or "what makes you think you know better?". Whatever it takes to justify things I guess. There's no way to argue with people who look for every excuse possible to discount you once they don't like you. Incidentally, you can follow my dirt oval rc company on Facebook at Raborn Racing Originals.

You'd be far better off if you'd just try some things, whether you believe in them or not, rather than getting your feelings hurt because someone else doesn't believe in blindly following and copying. At the very least you'd learn something, even if it's what not to do. I certainly didn't intend to offend you but apparently I somehow did.

Last edited by fredswain; 08-20-2015 at 10:02 AM.
fredswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #16429
Tech Fanatic

I personally don't care to try everything under the sun....It would different if I had unlimited funds or actually received compensation for the efforts. I like racing and BSing with buddies at the track.... I prefer simplicity...
Old 08-20-2015, 12:04 PM   #16430
Tech Elite

So why is so offensive that I like trying things? The funds comment is funny since you suggested that I buy a different car...that costs money. I prefer simplicity too. Once you fix any potential geometry issues, tuning is relatively simple with little needed to be changed between any track type. When there are perceived flaws, tuning around them is what's complicated.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #16431
Tech Fanatic

That's great you try new things...not knocking that. Just saying someone looking to get this car reads your posts and already comes to the conclusion it takes a mathematical genius to make the car good.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:20 PM   #16432
Tech Elite

I guess it's a good thing I've already shared what to do!
Old 08-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #16433
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerby View Post
How did the MM3 compare to the MM4?....I just switched and I'm curious what to expect
MM3 has less weight transfer under acceleration and deceleration. So less forward grip on acceleration but not by much compared to MM4, and also you can go harder on the brakes into a corner with MM3. Also you can't pitch the car as easily in the air with MM3 vs MM4.

MM4 will give you a tad more grip on acceleration as it squats on power, and it will unload a bit more off power giving you more steering.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:16 PM   #16434
Tech Fanatic

My track only has a stock class..20-30 on any given Friday night. Difficult to change from 4 gear because it is so good.. Looking forward to testing it
Old 08-20-2015, 04:34 PM   #16435
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerby View Post
The v2 is my only mid motor buggy. For stock I just built it with 3 gear and never ran it with the 4 gear configuration. It runs fine so I never went through the effort to rebuild it using 4 gears.
Roken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:59 PM   #16436
Tech Elite

Since some of you clearly think I'm insane, here's the front end with the longer shocks.
Attached Thumbnails
Durango DEX210 Thread-1440114957662.jpg   Durango DEX210 Thread-1440115018530.jpg  
Old 08-21-2015, 11:36 AM   #16437
Tech Addict

Default Thanks for pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredswain View Post
Since some of you clearly think I'm insane, here's the front end with the longer shocks.
You said earlier you were running shock bladders. Which ones are you using?
Thank you
WallyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:39 AM   #16438
Tech Elite

Losi
Old 08-22-2015, 05:55 AM   #16439
Tech Fanatic

3 gear transmission a success. Running on a medium bit track using flipouts. Quicker acceleration, better breaking and the car can be thrown into the corners with stability....I'll never go back to 4..
Old 08-22-2015, 09:30 AM   #16440
Tech Elite

Thatta boy! It's the only way I run mid.