R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree17Likes

Old 05-02-2015, 06:50 PM   #16276
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Where ar you guys finding really small spur gears that are not avids?

We opened up some practice for stock buggy class and Dinos setup for outdoor felt really good on my DEX V1 which is using the Dime chassis

The main issues I had were:

- not enough gearing range, was running 34 / 69 and felt like I wanted a bit more top end
- Track conditions went watered would cause front droop screw perches to pack and I would loose travel on the front suspension, do people do a mod here?
- WHERE ARE YOU GUYS FINDING the 25 Degree caster inserts? I have the right part # NIB but no "zero" insert to get 25 degree caster. was this a new running change?

I would like to keep running the exotek gear cover if possible so finding even smaller spurs would be great.

Here is what the track looks like I am running on for conditions (the video) and current layout (the picture):

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

current layout:

The spurs I run are reamed out AE and Jcon. Take the rear 0' insert and cut it down to get 25' in the front. I think Shuey spurs also fit without mods.
Lone Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:19 PM   #16277
ekt
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:

We opened up some practice for stock buggy class and Dinos setup for outdoor felt really good on my DEX V1 which is using the Dime chassis

- not enough gearing range, was running 34 / 69 and felt like I wanted a bit more top end
- Track conditions went watered would cause front droop screw perches to pack and I would loose travel on the front suspension, do people do a mod here?
- WHERE ARE YOU GUYS FINDING the 25 Degree caster inserts? I have the right part # NIB but no "zero" insert to get 25 degree caster. was this a new running change?

I would like to keep running the exotek gear cover if possible so finding even smaller spurs would be great.

Here is what the track looks like I am running on for conditions (the video) and current layout (the picture):

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

current layout:

Other than Avid spurs, using the Exotek slipper eliminator is the other way to use smaller spurs.

Some people cut off the droop tabs and use limiters in their shocks to get around dirt altering droop.

The '0' inserts were a running change. Cutting down the rear hub inserts is an option if you have older stock. http://www.team-durango.com/blog/201...B0-caster-mod/
Old 05-03-2015, 12:09 PM   #16278
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
The spurs I run are reamed out AE and Jcon. Take the rear 0' insert and cut it down to get 25' in the front. I think Shuey spurs also fit without mods.
okay thanks when you ream them what are you using and how much are you taking out.?
Old 05-03-2015, 07:10 PM   #16279
Tech Adept

Quote:
okay thanks when you ream them what are you using and how much are you taking out.?
I have a step reamer and clamp them in mill or drill press after centering. The final hole is a 8.019mm.
Lone Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:44 AM   #16280
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use AE also but I used a dremel and hold it my hand. I've messed 1 up but the rest are good!
iceman_bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:11 AM   #16281
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 130 (100%+)

Hey guys, I've seen some people running mid motor with a rear weight on the back of the tranny. I can't find these weights, do you guy know where to find and buy them?

Just decided to rebuild my buggy as mid motor
-Needing a machinist to make a couple parts.
rc_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:24 AM   #16282
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/revolut...rp0049/p231383
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:24 AM   #16283
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_dude View Post
Hey guys, I've seen some people running mid motor with a rear weight on the back of the tranny. I can't find these weights, do you guy know where to find and buy them?

Just decided to rebuild my buggy as mid motor
here is one:
http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/revolut...FZCLaQodaTAA6g

The one I am using is shorter I believe an slightly lighter.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:34 PM   #16284
Tech Master

Quote:

Normally if you want more power in stock class, try turning the endbell to somewhere near 25 to 30 degrees if you are running blinky. Or use a high torque rotor, which will allow you to gear even higher.

I never had the droop screw perch pack, but you can always use droop limiters inside the shocks instead and cut the ears off the front. try 2mm limiters inside the front shocks.

The insert is a running change and now comes with 0 inserts for the front.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:50 PM   #16285
Tech Addict

Default Gearing17.5 turn

Looking to get more speed out of my 210 with 17.5 (class rules at track) or any other tips for more speed? Thanks
Old 05-11-2015, 04:06 PM   #16286
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy 102 View Post
Looking to get more speed out of my 210 with 17.5 (class rules at track) or any other tips for more speed? Thanks
what you running for gearing now?

Runnng 17.5 myself as well, so curious anything you find.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:57 PM   #16287
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy 102 View Post
Cheat... Oh wait, did I say that out loud?

When you say "get more speed", there are a few interpretations to this. First, are people blowing by you on the straights? If so, then you surely need more speed assuming they are also running a true "blinky" 17.5.

If you're saying your times are slow, then the setup of the car and your driving skills come into play.

Assuming it's the first situation, the only way you can get more speed is:

1) add more gearing. But if your motor is getting too hot (150-180F is what most people say is the limit), then you are over geared already. Also, even if your motor does not get too hot, gearing too much will lose you punch in tight tracks where there will be a lot of stop/go. So don't sacrifice speed through the corners for top speed in the straights.
2) get a better battery. In offroad 17.5 (doesn't matter much in onroad) you will want more punch out of the batteries. Thus, a higher C rating battery will do wonders.
3) lighten the car. This is assuming you are over the weight limit. Getting the car to the lowest weight allowable will get you the fastest possible top speed.

Other than the above, you'll need to work on your setups and driving to go "faster".
Durango DEST210R, XRAY XB4 2014, Vaterra Slick Rock, Durango DEX210, SpeedMerchant REV4, HB TCX, Traxxas EMaxx, HPI RS4 Pro, Tamiya TA02, Yokomo YZ10, Associated RC10 Team Car, Bolink Eliminator 10, Kyosho Optima, Tamiya HotShot, Tamiya Grasshopper
theclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:23 PM   #16288
Tech Addict

Running 87/26 now
Old 05-11-2015, 07:18 PM   #16289
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Run 69 spur. I'm running 33 pinion
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:46 PM   #16290
Tech Addict