Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHS vs. Online

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by huskerdually
Poorly run and just looking for cheaper prices are completely different.
I totally agree, but I think for most of us there is a point where you just can't justify the additional expense. Would you really pay 50% more for a 'widget' from your local supplier than you would from another non-local source?

What if USA Car company opened tomorrow making cars that were entirely manufactured in your county. Would you pay $30K for a car that was comparable to a $20K Honda or Toyota? I personally can't justify that much of a difference.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Bad service is MUCH different then just looking for saving a few bucks
Old 01-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

As a tangent.... you'll probably see non-profit clubs stocking up on frequently needed items (tires, wheels, fasteners) to sell at a minor profit, if any, on club night.

I'd pay a few dollars extra to get that item right then and there when i needed it.

And, how many LHS actually have a track on the property or nearby? My LHS does NOT support a track, yet i look there first for things i need. Then i buy online.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Tech Addict

I feel kinda bad for not buying the big stuff at my LHS ( canada) because they mostly sell at the MSRP or close to + Custom fees +5% Pst +6.5% Gst I got a quote for a tekin rs-pro for 440$... I went to online shop and got mine for 265.99... + shipping 280

I would like to help my LHS they cant compete with the online hobby shops
Old 01-14-2010, 11:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I will pay the few extra dollars for the part, so that the LHS can stock it, and have it on hand for when I break it. Instead of having to buy a buttload of spares that I may never need, taking up space in my house and having to lug it to the raceway every time I go.
If you act like a dick as a customer you will be treated like a dick by the hobbyshop.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by terminalpvd
If you act like a dick as a customer you will be treated like a dick by the hobbyshop.
You're 100% right, but The Hobby Shop in Dayton isn't full of dicks. neither is Pit Row Hobbies in Cincinnati, or Colerain Hobbies in Colerain, or Tri State RC in Hamilton.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Tech Prophet

some of you guys should, support your local lhs, cause when you need something quick its there, and if its not just order it online.

my lhs action hobby closed, about a year ago ,,, but it was really cause of bad money management. but the service, was good and the guys working there were dicks. now i really think , u dont have to have a hobby store, to run a track and be successful.

i seen tracks that dont have a shop and do fine, most racers buy stuff online or ebay and sometimes lhs if we, racers really need the part right away.

plus it helps employment if you support your lhs, now if its full of a butch of douchebags than i, woulnt support it ethier lol.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

If you are new into the hobby, buy your stuff at your LHS. They will give support to get you started and you can build a good relationship with them.

You can save few bucks by buying online but you'll mever have the support a good LHS can give you.

Once you are familiar with RC, you can buy anywhere you want.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=tc5 man;6854068]some of you guys should, support your local lhs, cause when you need something quick its there, and if its not just order it online.

[QUOTE]

I am all for this if it is fiscally feasible. Do you support your LHS if they are 20% higher than elsewhere? What about 35% higher or 50% higher? Where is that line or do you support your LHS regardless of price?
Old 01-14-2010, 04:36 PM
Tech Prophet

[QUOTE=JMYBFFT;6854491][QUOTE=tc5 man;6854068]some of you guys should, support your local lhs, cause when you need something quick its there, and if its not just order it online.

I am all for this if it is fiscally feasible. Do you support your LHS if they are 20% higher than elsewhere? What about 35% higher or 50% higher? Where is that line or do you support your LHS regardless of price?

the closet hobby store thats around me is about 49 minutes away in pa.
and in nj theres one about 20 minutes away and the other one about 25 minutes.

if i still had a lhs i would support it but, if it got to hobbytown prices than hell no lol.

and also i do race at the track that is 49 minutes away , where the hobby store is too. but now i mostly order online.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Blah, Blah, Blah.... I feel like we talked about this a dozen times already

Times are tough, and I want my money to go the furthest. I would like to always support the LHS, but if it means getting out of the hobby to do so, its not worth it.

Many times locally, the shop will not have exactly have what I need, but will offer to order it, which is fine, but I can order it too, and not have to make the round trip back and fourth when it gets there.

There prices are always higher than on line, they dont offer discounts, and usually price everything at exactly retail. Service is hit or miss, depending on the mood of the owner. At times I want to buy strictly from him, at other times I would rather go with out, until I have a need to place a big order to justify paying the cost of shipping.

Example, I bought 1/8th rims and tires from JConcepts for $30 on sale but with $10 for shipping.

The same tires and rims at the LHS were $32 per pair and $21 for the rims.

Lets see $40 on line or $85 LHS

Thats just one example but it should be a no brainer.

Also it dosnt hurt that tower has a $20 off coupon of $149, with free shipping if your a super saver member, that dosnt hurt either.

LHS need to be super competitive, give great customer service and they need to be exceptional all around.

My family owns a small business, and we have a lot of competition from chain stores. What sets us apart is that we provide exceptional service, offer more than the "big box" type shops, and go out of our way to make people want to come back, send friends and family members and good word of mouth advertising.

Any business cant make it on just having products on a shelf, or offer to order it in for you. Any monkey can do that.

No matter what you do in business offer a good product at a fair price, have a great additude, do more than is what is expected of you and help others. Everything else will almost always fall into place.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:31 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by OG RC 10T
Blah, Blah, Blah.... I feel like we talked about this a dozen times already

Times are tough, and I want my money to go the furthest. I would like to always support the LHS, but if it means getting out of the hobby to do so, its not worth it.

Many times locally, the shop will not have exactly have what I need, but will offer to order it, which is fine, but I can order it too, and not have to make the round trip back and fourth when it gets there.

There prices are always higher than on line, they dont offer discounts, and usually price everything at exactly retail. Service is hit or miss, depending on the mood of the owner. At times I want to buy strictly from him, at other times I would rather go with out, until I have a need to place a big order to justify paying the cost of shipping.

Example, I bought 1/8th rims and tires from JConcepts for $30 on sale but with $10 for shipping.

The same tires and rims at the LHS were $32 per pair and $21 for the rims.

Lets see $40 on line or $85 LHS

Thats just one example but it should be a no brainer.

Also it dosnt hurt that tower has a $20 off coupon of $149, with free shipping if your a super saver member, that dosnt hurt either.

LHS need to be super competitive, give great customer service and they need to be exceptional all around.

My family owns a small business, and we have a lot of competition from chain stores. What sets us apart is that we provide exceptional service, offer more than the "big box" type shops, and go out of our way to make people want to come back, send friends and family members and good word of mouth advertising.

Any business cant make it on just having products on a shelf, or offer to order it in for you. Any monkey can do that.

No matter what you do in business offer a good product at a fair price, have a great additude, do more than is what is expected of you and help others. Everything else will almost always fall into place.

yea i agree you have to have good service , and be nice to people and have employes that know about, these models. but the main reason why hobby stores have to charge more, is because they have. to pay their employes and rent,heat,and pay for the stock, that they carry that doesnt sell.

my lhs that closed was the same price as tower, but not others though like carolina hobbies. but bad mangement with your money, and other things will kill your store.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by RCHR
I think in the future we will see the return of non-profit club member tracks without hobbyshops. Almost everything about current racing fits, internet shopping would be fine, sponsored drivers would be fine, personal transponders are common, the only part that dosen't fit is racers not having time or wanting to volunteer with the shared responsibilities of a club track.

With club tracks, nobody would have to feel bad about not supporting the LHS.
It's already happened.

We have a track out here that you have just described to a "T".

pejota As a tangent.... you'll probably see non-profit clubs stocking up on frequently needed items (tires, wheels, fasteners) to sell at a minor profit, if any, on club night.
add another "T"....
Old 01-14-2010, 09:33 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I would think for anyone, there are some common factors that are considered when thinking about LHS vs. online:

- distance of LHS
- price comparison
- customer service/support (what your expectation level is and who will be able to meet that expectation)
- availability/need

For me, my favorite LHS is about 5 minutes from my work. The guys there are great and I've come to know the owner who's also a great guy. They work with their customers well and try their best to make them happy. Because I know the owner, I get some insight into their business such as cost of certain products, inventory, turnaround for goods, etc.
There's also another LHS about 15 minutes from work, and another one about 20-25 minutes from work (opposite direction) that will order most anything I want.
Then there's the LHS that's about 20 minutes for home. They're good people, but are forgetful and not as customer-centric as the LHS I normally go to. And yet another LHS about 15 minutes in the opposite direction also from home.
So I have a few to choose from which makes it easier for me to get things from an LHS.

That being said, on big purchases, considering tax in CA is almost 10% now, that's a big factor on where I buy large items. I often purchase large items (like whole vehicles or kits) online to save money due to tax. Shipping is usually much less than tax, so even if my LHS can match the price, they can't match the price to my door. If it's close though, I'd rather purchase from my LHS because as mentioned, it supports local businesses. Also, I like the convenience of having a good LHS around that I can meet and talk with people and see and touch the parts I want.

I've bought from most of the more popular online sites such as Amain, Ultimate, and Nitrohouse. But ALL of those are in CA, so along with shipping, I also have to pay tax, which again in CA is almost 10%. So even though the prices are usually lower at those places, the end price is higher than if I were to buy it from my LHS. If I buy at these online stores, it's because they carry product that other places don't carry (like TTR parts from Amain). So since a good percentage of my purchase price from these stores are in taxes and shipping, especially if I buy small items where that can cost more than the item itself, I usually purchase from ebay vendors that I have history with if I buy online.

So with me, it's a mixed bag where for each item I weigh what's best for me. If it's only a bit different and the option is there, I will buy from my LHS to support people I know, meet, talk to, become friends with, and will work with me to keep this hobby an enjoyable one for me.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

I try to support my local hobby shop much as possible but when you come across a part you can get for $xx.xx and your hobby guy sells it for $60 more well i would have to think about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.