Wiki Posts
Search

slash 4x4 vs hyper 10sc

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Crawler
Please share. What was it about the Slash 4x4 that did it for you?
I know this wasn't directed towards me but you seem to be hell bent on wanting all of us who got the Traxxas to admit we made the wrong choice. Why?

Your judging the Traxxas with out even driving it. I can tell you that the higher CG makes no difference at all. This is off road racing. If I wanted a slammed chassis with the lowest possible COG I would get an Xray T3 Sedan!

I ran at the track the other day with a Hyper and its sucked balls! Ether that or the guy couldn't drive to save his life. The only time I have seen the OFAN/Jammin SCT shine is when driven by a pro or sponsored driver. That doesnt say much for the average racer.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losifiend
I know this wasn't directed towards me but you seem to be hell bent on wanting all of us who got the Traxxas to admit we made the wrong choice. Why?

Your judging the Traxxas with out even driving it. I can tell you that the higher CG makes no difference at all. This is off road racing. If I wanted a slammed chassis with the lowest possible COG I would get an Xray T3 Sedan!

I ran at the track the other day with a Hyper and its sucked balls! Ether that or the guy couldn't drive to save his life. The only time I have seen the OFAN/Jammin SCT shine is when driven by a pro or sponsored driver. That doesnt say much for the average racer.
I don't want him or you to admit anything. I want to know what it was that he liked about the Slash. I think your jumping to conclusions.

As for only factory drivers being able to drive the Hyper? Come on, talk about being hell bent!

Again, I have been involved in multiple forms of auto racing (most of them off road) and CG is indeed a BIG DEAL.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Tech Initiate

I can tell you that the higher CG makes no difference at all. This is off road racing.
Off-road or on-road, lower CG makes a big difference, its simple physics. Why do you think those on road cars are so low in the first place? If higher CG makes no difference those on road cars wouldn't have to be as low as they are, if it wasn't necessary.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

All I can say is I have them both....I'm trading the Hyper SC10. I don't care if Pamela Lee inspired the design of either truck. All of a sudden there are more Slash 4x4's racing than Hobaos at my local track. All of the Hobaos that I have seen except for 2 were in fact driven by pros. They are pretty nice and have an impressive looking chassis but right out of the box the Slash 4x4 PE is a platform that can perform well at the track with no modification other than the installation of an receiver. For most guys that in itself if the biggest draw. I also can tell you that the Hobao broke a body mount the first time it went over. The Slash has required nothing but some snugging of a couple of bolts....the Hobao also now sports Slash body mounts as well.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE
All I can say is I have them both....I'm trading the Hyper SC10. I don't care if Pamela Lee inspired the design of either truck. All of a sudden there are more Slash 4x4's racing than Hobaos at my local track. All of the Hobaos that I have seen except for 2 were in fact driven by pros. They are pretty nice and have an impressive looking chassis but right out of the box the Slash 4x4 PE is a platform that can perform well at the track with no modification other than the installation of an receiver. For most guys that in itself if the biggest draw. I also can tell you that the Hobao broke a body mount the first time it went over. The Slash has required nothing but some snugging of a couple of bolts....the Hobao also now sports Slash body mounts as well.
Yea, the Slash 4x4 isn't having any issues what so ever.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

Cool

Man its getting heated in here.
Well i only can give you my opion on the traxxas 4x4 slash. Its the only 4x4 ive driven so far. I would give it a good rating, it hanldes great, seems to hold up well except if you drive it full speed into a pilliar or a car The pilliar one was my fault, i did not do the other. I would recomen it to anyone thats interested in a 4x4 electric short course truck and iv been talking to my local hobby guy about them. He had 5 -rtr's and 1- PE come in a week and a half ago. All of the rtr's are gone and the pe is basicly sold. He has i believe 6 more on order and he said 1-2 are already sold. So whats that telling you?
Old 01-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Gearhead racer
Man its getting heated in here.
Well i only can give you my opion on the traxxas 4x4 slash. Its the only 4x4 one ive driven so far. I would give it a good rating, it hanldes great, seems to hold up well except if you drive it full speed into a pilliar or a car The pilliar one was my fault, i did not do the other. I would recomen it to anyone thats interested in a 4x4 electric short course truck and iv been talking to my local hobby guy about them. He had 5 -rtr's and 1- PE come in a week and a half ago. All of the rtr's are gone and the pe is basicly sold. He has i believe 6 more on order and he said 1-2 are already sold. So whats that telling you?
Tells me the 4x4 SC class is going to rock!
Old 01-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Tech Elite

I don't want him or you to admit anything. I want to know what it was that he liked about the Slash. I think your jumping to conclusions.

As for only factory drivers being able to drive the Hyper? Come on, talk about being hell bent!

Again, I have been involved in multiple forms of auto racing (most of them off road) and CG is indeed a BIG DEAL.
Then i'll tell you why I chose the Slash.

1-If I wanted a buggy I would of bought one
2-The Ofna and Jammin look like "conversions".
3-They tried to fit everything in the center of the truck and it looks cluttered.
4- Stamped shock towers tend to bend easier.
5-I have seen then run and they tend to nose dive quite a bit
6-The battery sits on its side giving a higher COG.

1-The slash is a whole new layout.
2- Traxxas plastic is actually really good at bouncing back to shape
3-The motor mounted in the rear makes the truck fly nice and level.
4-The battery lays flat
5-Parts are cheap and will be more than available when released

At the tracks that I have seen the Hypers and Jammin run, the majority if not all they guys running them ether worked for OFNA of were sponsered by Jammin so of course they looked good on the track. The I see a regular guy running one and it didn't look anything like the ones the pros were running. I think my assessment is pretty fair.

My lighting is a bit off but the COG seems pretty damn close to me!!! Or are you going to tell me that a few MM really make that much of a difference

Old 01-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yea, the Slash 4x4 isn't having any issues what so ever.
I guess what qdrhrse is saying is he hasnt had problems with his Slash. There has been documented issues with the slash axles bending or breaking, but it doesn't mean everyone will have the same issues.

Its true that the COG is important in racing, this affects weight transfer(therefore grip) while accelerating, braking, cornering, and jumping.

The COG of the Slash 4x4 will be higher compared to the Ofna trucks, but lower compared to the old Slash and much much lower compared to any MT.

The Slash 4x4 chassis has been significantly lowered compared to the older slash. The motor, electronics and battery in the slash 4x4 is on about the same level as the center drive shaft( or the middle level of the differentials) while the Ofna trucks have their electronics mounted on the same level as the bottom of their differentials.

We will only see if the difference in COG will be significant when the cars start racing with similarly competitive set-ups (brushless system/servo/tires).

The one thing that surprised me with Traxxas' latest release is the fact that they seemed to be gearing up for some racing with this truck. I am basing that from the fact that they released a whole lot of racing upgrades plus a platinum edition just a week after the rtr version. I am not sure they have done this before....
Old 01-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Both truck seems to look good on the track. And both will have there issues etc. I would kinda steer more towards the OFNA. Nothing against Traxxas, just never been a big fan of there products.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

Then i'll tell you why I chose the Slash.

1-If I wanted a buggy I would of bought one
2-The Ofna and Jammin look like "conversions".
3-They tried to fit everything in the center of the truck and it looks cluttered.
4- Stamped shock towers tend to bend easier.
5-I have seen then run and they tend to nose dive quite a bit
6-The battery sits on its side giving a higher COG.

1-The slash is a whole new layout.
2- Traxxas plastic is actually really good at bouncing back to shape
3-The motor mounted in the rear makes the truck fly nice and level.
4-The battery lays flat
5-Parts are cheap and will be more than available when released

At the tracks that I have seen the Hypers and Jammin run, the majority if not all they guys running them ether worked for OFNA of were sponsered by Jammin so of course they looked good on the track. The I see a regular guy running one and it didn't look anything like the ones the pros were running. I think my assessment is pretty fair.

My lighting is a bit off but the COG seems pretty damn close to me!!! Or are you going to tell me that a few MM really make that much of a difference

Cool, I'm interested in you opinion.

1. It's not a buggy, it's a SC truck. Is the Slash a MT like Pede do to it's elevated chassis design?
2. Fair enough, but then so does every 1/8 electric buggy and truggy I've seen for the most part.
3. An aesthetic issue.
4. I agree.
5. Easy to correct.
6. Wait, did you just say CG was important?

1. Not entirely, many parts from the Traxxas inventory were used.
2. My experience w/ Traxxas plastic on my Slash is different from yours.
3. Level is good.
4. I do like that and intend to play w/ the battery mount on my Ofna. The lower the CG the better.
5. Yup, like all Traxxas parts, they are indeed cheap and often replaced.

I've seen them side by side and the Ofna/Jammin chassis are lower. Yeah, it makes a difference, maybe not a lot, but it does, like it was stated physics are physics.

Thanks for sharing. While I still don't care for the Slash 4x4 (mainly do to the chassis design and materials), it's seems like it would be a fun truck.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Tech Adept

Slash looks good
Old 01-07-2010, 10:49 PM
Tech Elite

Cool, I'm interested in you opinion.

1. It's not a buggy, it's a SC truck. Is the Slash a MT like Pede do to it's elevated chassis design?
2. Fair enough, but then so does every 1/8 electric buggy and truggy I've seen for the most part.
3. An aesthetic issue.
4. I agree.
5. Easy to correct.
6. Wait, did you just say CG was important?

1. Not entirely, many parts from the Traxxas inventory were used.
2. My experience w/ Traxxas plastic on my Slash is different from yours.
3. Level is good.
4. I do like that and intend to play w/ the battery mount on my Ofna. The lower the CG the better.
5. Yup, like all Traxxas parts, they are indeed cheap and often replaced.

I've seen them side by side and the Ofna/Jammin chassis are lower. Yeah, it makes a difference, maybe not a lot, but it does, like it was stated physics are physics.

Thanks for sharing. While I still don't care for the Slash 4x4 (mainly do to the chassis design and materials), it's seems like it would be a fun truck.
1-If being buggy "based" doesn't make it a buggy then what is it? A buggy with a SCT body
2-The Slash doesn't look like a conversion.....we are still comparing the Slash here rite? Just making sure we weren't comparing E buggy or E truggy.
3-Aesthetics. The same reason why you claim to not like the Slash layout.
4-CG is relevant there because the Slash's stance isnt higher than a LiPo pack on its side, so yes its important. The pack sitting that high, in the truck, will affect the sway of the truck in the turns.

1- As many parts from the Traxxas inventory were used than what was used from the Ofna/Jammin inventory for those "trucks". I don't see the difference.
2- Your experience with Traxxas may be different than mine because of the way the RC was used. Everything has a breaking point.
5 OFNA parts are expensive and still need to be replaced

Well then I guess the Slash defys physics because it handles damn good!
Old 01-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Please share. What was it about the Slash 4x4 that did it for you?
Easy. in my opinion the slash out handles the ofna hands down. Some need to learn that a higher COG is not allways a bad thing. It can add side bite which equates to traction in dirt creating a car that corners faster. it can also creat forward bite due to its weight transfer. which makes for a faster corner exit. which brings me to WHY i selected the slash. it accels harder and in more control. It has more useable travel than the ofna and handles the chop night and day better than the ofna. Not to mention have you looked at the ofna chassy? It looks like the chassy is backwards which i guess would explain why the motor is forward of the center line. which explains why it also nose dives over even the smallest of rollers.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:17 PM
Tech Master

1-If being buggy "based" doesn't make it a buggy then what is it? A buggy with a SCT body
2-The Slash doesn't look like a conversion.....we are still comparing the Slash here rite? Just making sure we weren't comparing E buggy or E truggy.
3-Aesthetics. The same reason why you claim to not like the Slash layout.
4-CG is relevant there because the Slash's stance isnt higher than a LiPo pack on its side, so yes its important. The pack sitting that high, in the truck, will affect the sway of the truck in the turns.

1- As many parts from the Traxxas inventory were used than what was used from the Ofna/Jammin inventory for those "trucks". I don't see the difference.
2- Your experience with Traxxas may be different than mine because of the way the RC was used. Everything has a breaking point.
5 OFNA parts are expensive and still need to be replaced

Well then I guess the Slash defys physics because it handles damn good!
1.Is the SC10 a buggy because it's based on the B4? Is the Slash a MT because it's based on a Pede? Is the XXXS a buggy because it's based on the XXX-4? My point is that the Ofna and Jammin trucks are just that, trucks.
2. OK, I'll give you that. If that's important you you, then it's important. I just prefer function over form. That's what's important to me.
3. It's not the aesthetics of the chassis I don't care for. Again function and physics are the basis for not liking the elevated chassis design. As this was indeed a new chassis design for Traxxas, what purpose does the elevated chassis serve?
4. Due to the battery being mounted lower to begin w/, only a portion of the battery actually sits higher on the Ofna. The entire mass of the Slash 4x4 chassis, motor, electronics, battery, slipper/diff. drive-shaft, etc..... sit high on the Slash 4x4

1. No difference at all and smart of all RC companies to do so to help keep cost down and prices low, just pointing out that the Slash 4x4 wasn't a "complete" new offering.
2. Rear hubs that snap like twigs from lite side to side impact are a common occurrence on the Slash, so are plastic caps popping, motor plate flexing and causing damaged spur gears. This has little to due w/ the driver. Again, all very common on the Slash and it seems that many w/ the Slash 4x4 are having the same issues w/ the rear hubs.
5. Yeah, they are more expensive and some parts will indeed need to be replaced. Something that Traxxas has going for it, cheap and available parts. On the other hand, the old saying of you get what you pay for comes into play.

Never said it didn't, but do you think it would or could handle better w/ a lower chassis?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.