Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Whats comparible to a slash 4x4 electric with lipo for under $500? >

Whats comparible to a slash 4x4 electric with lipo for under $500?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whats comparible to a slash 4x4 electric with lipo for under $500?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 04:41 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by snowboard094
Here is a great radio that is VERY user friendly and great for beginners. It doesn't have all the bells and wistles that the higher priced radios have but is 2.4ghz and super reliable. Check it out...
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...=Product-Feeds
that is the cheap/kit/RTR radio duratrax includes in all or their newer RTR.......... just because it's 2.4GHz does not make it either a good or reliable radio set-up

Originally Posted by JSR
The Tactic/Tower 2.4GHz radios are nice and they only use 4xAAs, but I had interaction problems with them and my ESC (Hobbywing EZRun). I tried both Tower and Tactic TXs and 3 RXs (2 Tower and 1 Tactic) and all had the same problem. Just keep mind that some 2.4GHz TXs have bad interactions with some ESCs.
that is as a result of the cheap Hobbywing ESC/motor set-up, not the radio

Originally Posted by JSR
I can attest that the Airtronics MX-3FG is a nice TX. It's noticably bigger/bulkier than my KO EX5 TX, but it's simpler to use/program than my KO.

For not much more than the Tactic/Tower TXs, I'd recommend the Futaba 2PL or Airtronics MX-Sport as those provide features that even casual enthusiasts will find useful (like model memory, sub-trims, etc.) whereas the Tactic/Tower ones don't.
The higher priced ones have yet more features that often times people don't end up using.
agreed, there are better low-cost radio options out there - but just because something is 2.4GHz doesn't make it so
Old 01-04-2010, 10:01 AM
muj
Tech Rookie

Ok, thanks for all the info guys!

Im thinking about $150 is my max for a radio so the airtronics one so far looks good. If there is any other good competition for $150 please let me know.

As far as the truck, im still looking. I am ready to buy the slash 4x4 PE for $400 with no radio or batts. My friends are going primarily 1/10th and from what I saw 1/8th is more expensive to get into.

We are doing more "short-course" kind of cars. My wife may get a 2wd brushed SC10 and her sister the brushed blitz, so how would those run with my PE? The SC10 and blitz have more upgrade options, but to get to the performance of the slash 4x4 PE, isnt it going to cost a LOT more?
Old 01-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

The 4x4 Slash PE will perform well right out of the box. You will not need to upgrade anything to make it faster. It will go like stink on 3s. From what I've heard, you may even have to down grade some of the aluminum upgrades back to plastic as the aluminum is causing some problems. I have only tested my PE out in front of the house but it definitely feels better than the RTR. Just from the short test that I did, I can tell you that the diff and swaybars make a huge difference.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losifiend
I keep reading this by people who don't own the slash, but the Hyper SC10 and its a rather ignorant comment.

A lot of people don't consider the Revo a "race" truck but the fact is that it has more ROAR MT trophies than any other MT on the market...an its made by Traxxas.

I'm not a fan on any of the Traxxas vehicles,or Traxxas for that matter, until the 4X4 Slash came out. Its as competitive as the rest and it was designed by the same engineer that designed the Revo, so I'm sure he knows a bit or 2 about designing trucks that win.

None of the trucks you mentioned, including the Slash 4X4, have won any sanctioned races yet so I don't see how you can make an educated decision on what works and what doesn't.

I dont own a slash 4x4 but have seen them race against the ofnas and they arent even in the same ballpark as the Hyper 10sc, but to each his own... I dont know about ROAR titles but I DO know who wins the races I see..
Old 01-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by bag of doritos
I dont own a slash 4x4 but have seen them race against the ofnas and they arent even in the same ballpark as the Hyper 10sc,

alot of thats on drivers.

if you have a veteran driver with the ofna, and a beginner in the slash obviously the ofna wins.

change drivers and see what happens.