Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 08:13 AM
Tech Initiate

k thanks Duster
Old 12-25-2009, 08:22 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You're welcome....

Forgot to mention this - I found an adapter for that charger that lets you charge and balance two 3S lipos at once! I have a new Mini-Erevo that runs a pr of 3S lipos and its great to be able to charge them both at once. With that $2 adapter, you could charge a pr of 3S 5000mah lipos at 10amps. You can't do that with the Accucel-8 (7amp charge limit). Near as I can tell, teh GT charger uses the same 'brains' as the Accucels, so it should be as good and as reliable as they are.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...ad_(2_x_3S)6S_
Old 12-25-2009, 08:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shmate
im running an E-revo. going to buy the MMM for it and make it BL. Its hard for me to believe ill only get 30 mins because on the other forum people say i can get longer. but idk ig ill have to see. And you are totally right about buying cheap batteries and since Max Amps are more expensive they are also a lot more durable, water proof,, pretty much indestructable. But theres just no way i can even think abou buying batteries and a charger for $640. thats just flat out insane; for me i guess. lolol and yes i know you need to batteries, like i said ive already asked SOME of these questions on the Traxxas forums, i was just going to see what other people had to say on Rc Tech. SO i know you are using max amps but if you know a friend using lipos and know he's had success with them, let me know what they are. As far as 2S or 4S or 6S im going for the biggest most powerfull battery the MMM with allow me to throw at it.
Turnigy batteries are what I buy and use. I recommend them as do others. I have only had one problem with one and that was a newby mistake. And as far as waterproof, I'm no expert on lipos but I think water only affects them if there ia a tear in the "skin" of the actual cell(someone correct me if I'm wrong). I mean, I have taken and old cell shot it with a .22 rifle, which blew the back out and then dropped it in a 5 gallon bucket of water!! Guess what happened?? It made tiny little bubbles from the hole, thats it!! No explosion, no eruption, nothing!! I'm just saying I wouldn't pay for all the hype, just for the batteries!!
Old 12-25-2009, 08:51 AM
Tech Initiate

yea im going to go with turnigy lipos, its just a matter of finding some 2S or 4S that i like. its tough to choose haha, theres so many. waterproof or not, i dont see my self driving in a lot or any water with my truck, thats what boats are for :P. so yea if they are, GREAT, if not, its not going to bother me. thanks for the input bro and thanks for the input on the charger duster.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Look what I just found: http://koti.mbnet.fi/pro-ht/RC/hobao...shing%2004.jpg
Hows that for waterproof!! They are Flightmax not Turnigy but basically same thing, different labeling.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by brofroe
Look what I just found: http://koti.mbnet.fi/pro-ht/RC/hobao...shing%2004.jpg
Hows that for waterproof!! They are Flightmax not Turnigy but basically same thing, different labeling.
ha thats awesome, i guess you are right then. i hate being some what of a noob at this R/c stuff. not knowing what batteries i should get and then if i do decide what charger and power supply i need to charge them. =\. but doing a lot of reading and searching is helping some what. but thats sweet that lipos are pretty close to water proof.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shmate
ha thats awesome, i guess you are right then. i hate being some what of a noob at this R/c stuff. not knowing what batteries i should get and then if i do decide what charger and power supply i need to charge them. =\. but doing a lot of reading and searching is helping some what. but thats sweet that lipos are pretty close to water proof.
The charger you have picked I believe would be a good one. As someone else stated the larger the better. I have two 50W chargers and wish I had bigger. When I buy another charger it will deff be 150W or larger. As it stands now I can only charge my 4s packs at about 3.9 amps which in between race rounds makes me a little nervous wondering if they be charged in time or not Plus the Turnigys are supposed to be able to be charged at 2C which is 10amps on a 5000mah pack. As far as power supply that seems like a good one. I use an old computer power supply which is capable of 16-18 amps continuous I think. It also has 3.3v output and 5V output. I use the 3.3v output to break in Slash motors for my son's truck. Works great. If you have access to an old computer you can have a power supply for nearly nothing. I can send you a link on converting to a charger power supply.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Oh yeah, and don't wory about being a newby we were all there at some time!!
Old 12-25-2009, 09:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by brofroe
Oh yeah, and don't wory about being a newby we were all there at some time!!
i guess if that charger and power supply will get me by for bashing ill save the links. I'm going to head to my LHS, HobbyTown USA and talk to them down there and see what they have to say. We're getting POUNDED with snow right now so i wont be going anytime soon. but im pretty much trying to get all the info i can so spring comes i can order everything i want and be ready to bash or even start racing since im moving to a bigger city which has some tracks. Don't worry about sending me a link for that power supply convertion. and thanks for the support and help. Greatly appreciated.

EDIT: are these batteries 2mm off from fitting, if i remember right its 160x50x30? uh these packs look perfect but i dont think? they'll fit.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=9516

if them aren't going to fit then im going to have to go to these. I think they are the biggest you can get without getting too big and not fitting. 4000mah 4S 30C. if i got to 5000mah the battery gets to big or if i got to a high C rating its too big. this one looks like itll give me some good speed with the mmm and decent run times correct?
http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=9511

Last edited by Shmate; 12-25-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

One thing about HC lipos, the measurements are not always accurate. They are usually bigger than what they advertise. There's been more than one thread here about HC lipos not fitting for this reason.

Try to find lipos that have a little 'room' that way if they do wind up being bigger, they still might have a chance to fit.

There seems to be more probs with Fkightmaxxes going on right now too, I'd try to stay with Turnigys.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Tech Initiate

k thanks.