Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TURNIGY vs. ORION batts >

TURNIGY vs. ORION batts

TURNIGY vs. ORION batts

Old 12-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default TURNIGY vs. ORION batts

Got my Turnigy 4s 5000mah 40c today! A little more punch and definately more run time than my (2)ORION 2s 25c 3500s
Old 12-22-2009, 02:20 PM
Tech Regular

Higher C AND mah? Even if they're optimistic, it should still be as good or better.

Had my Team Orion 4000 25c (4 of them) for about 3 months now with ZERO issues. Hope it keeps up.

May try the Turnigy batteries next time.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by *BBB*
Got my Turnigy 4s 5000mah 40c today! A little more punch and definately more run time than my (2)ORION 2s 25c 3500s
I have been using the Turnigy batteries for a while. They have been great to me and I love the price. I am able to buy more batteries and run all day for the price of buying 1 of the expensive ones .
Old 12-22-2009, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Not really comparing apples to apples though...
Old 12-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Tech Addict

They came balanced and dropped in the inferno perfectly.. well a little snug.. overall i am pleased
Old 12-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I wasn't quite so lucky - the pr of 3S lipos I just got, one of them had a cell at 0.28v while the other 2 cells were over 3v. The other 3S was fine.

I had to charge it as a NiMh for a while then charge it as a lipo and the 1st few times that same cell was always low and even after letting my Hyperion charger try to balance it out, it was still low, wouldn't come into balance.

I have a charger that charges thru the balance wires and it eventually got that cell to the same voltage as the other two. Seems to be fine now, several charges later.

Turnigy's lipo are not perfect. Better be prepared to deal with it if you get one with a prob. Returning one is not really an option.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Originally Posted by Duster_360
I wasn't quite so lucky - the pr of 3S lipos I just got, one of them had a cell at 0.28v while the other 2 cells were over 3v. The other 3S was fine.

I had to charge it as a NiMh for a while then charge it as a lipo and the 1st few times that same cell was always low and even after letting my Hyperion charger try to balance it out, it was still low, wouldn't come into balance.

I have a charger that charges thru the balance wires and it eventually got that cell to the same voltage as the other two. Seems to be fine now, several charges later.

Turnigy's lipo are not perfect. Better be prepared to deal with it if you get one with a prob. Returning one is not really an option.
Honestly look at the price. At the price they are I can afford to replace on bad one every now and again. I could buy three turnigy batterys for the price of one Team checkpoint or orion.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Actually, a friend sent back three 2S 4000 packs that HE fried... They replaced them free of charge. He only paid snail mail shipping for the returns. After having so many Zippy packs work perfectly, as well as cost about 1/4 what the "name brand" LiPos cost... there is minimal risk.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Tech Addict

Hmm.. that's probably rare. But im with you on returning one pretty much not being an option with shipping and all.

UPDATE: These batteries last a HECK of alot longer than my orion 3500s.. and I have notcied they have a considerable amount more kick!

Just hate sending my money overseas
Old 12-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

I know everyone says be prepared to deal with it, but if you do get customer service, they really do normally replace stuff for free, my buddy just sent back two esc's, higher amp plane ones, they sent out two new ones free of charge. I have also had them take care of me on stuff that was shipped wrong once along time ago, I explained what I got, they pulled up the order, said ok, and shipped out the rest of my order and said keep whatever else was wrong on the order.

If he was to do that with a reputable company, you would have had to pay shipping plus a repair charge, normally never less than $50. Some companys will not even do an estimate without being paid for it
Old 12-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I had the same issue with one of my packs. Had to fool around with it a bit to get it all even, but now that it is, it runs the car great and seems to cycle and balance just fine.

The price still justifies having to muck about with one once in a while.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Tech Addict

Yep they are the best of the 3 brands hobbycity carries and very comparable to the expensive packs you find stateside.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Tech Champion

We really need to quit admitting we blew something up then bragging about how we ripped off a companies warranty. When we knew the product wasn't at fault.

Batteries
Servos
Radios

Wonder why things keep getting more expensive. Companies do read the internet afterall.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Wonder why things keep getting more expensive. Companies do read the internet afterall.
What's really funny is how the old stuff (especially lipos) don't get cheaper. Is anybody really buying a $80+ 25C lipo nowadays? I just don't get why these things don't get blown-out!
Old 12-22-2009, 11:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

This is really and apple/orange comparison. You're comparing old packs against newer and higher rated packs - of course you're going to get better results with the newer, higher C rated pack.

We tested the older Team Orion 5000 Platinum packs (SLPB) against the new Team Orion Carbon Molecular Lipo 5400 packs (45C) and the difference is ridiculous. In an electric MP9 with the same motor and gearing, and on the same track, we got about 8.5 minutes of run time with the 5000 Platinum packs. Using the 5400 45C Carbon Molecular packs, not only did the car feel like it had a different (faster) motor, the power was consistent from start to finish, and the run time jumped to 14 minutes.

So, it's not a "This Company" vs "That Company" comparison at all. It's an "Old" vs "New" comparison, and what a shock... the newer batteries perform better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.