Community
Wiki Posts
Search

replacement for novak hv esc

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 03:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Post replacement for novak hv esc

After 5 mins of fun today the novak hv esc went up in a poof of smoke when it was good it was great but when it was bad it was a pain ! lipo cut off ,cut in to early all the time
so now the search for a replacement ive got hyper 8.5 with the full novak conversion so ideal would run sensored. im mainly using 3s and 4s.
any other sugestions for alternative esc or replace it with the same ??
Old 12-21-2009, 04:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

You need another sensored ESC. If you are going for the same Novak, you really have to watch the temps. You could have easily been Thermaling not having the LVC kick in....I have the 6.5 in my Losi 8T and it needs to be watched closely when you're running new gearing. The Novak ESC is real sensitive to gearing and heats up easily. If you upped your pinion teeth or dropped you spur teeth, too much , the ESC goes poof pretty quickly.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Tech Rookie

ive been running the same set up for about 6 months, it is also the 6.5. i am going to pull away from novak if i can i want to try a different band the novak has been, as you said sensertive, i think its time for a change if i can find a esc that will run the motor i have already, that would be great ! any ideas ??
Old 12-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Tekin's RX8 is another controller that is compatible with all motors sensored or sensorless. Castle's Mamba Monster Max will probably work too, it just doesn't use the sensors. Those are the most popular controllers on the market.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

MM Pro is good, but I like the tekin a little more.

Nick
Old 12-22-2009, 03:26 AM
Tech Rookie

i was thinking the mmm or the mmp but i was nt sure weather they would work with the sensored novak motor. i havnt mixed and matched to much, just ran systems in brushless. does anyone know if the mmm with run it ?????
and the mmp is it potent enough for the task in had being designed for 1/10 ???? am i going to get a reliable combobination with either of these or a constant thermal threat ??????
Old 12-22-2009, 05:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by atomic-pom
i was thinking the mmm or the mmp but i was nt sure weather they would work with the sensored novak motor. i havnt mixed and matched to much, just ran systems in brushless. does anyone know if the mmm with run it ?????
and the mmp is it potent enough for the task in had being designed for 1/10 ???? am i going to get a reliable combobination with either of these or a constant thermal threat ??????
It is more likely that you will thermal the MMP and you could have startup problems with the MMM. I know people have run the MMM with the novak motors but I personally haven't tried it. Most people that are running the MMP in 1/8th scale buggies are doing so on 5 or 6 s and much slower motors. You would always run the Tekin RX8, it is built to run sensored motors.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Or the EZRun 150A. The older model works great, and the newer model can now accept 6s.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Tech Rookie

i didnt even think about the ezrun is it realy a realistic solution ???
i always put them in the no thrills cheep and chearful sector. I dont mind swaping the motor if needs be its just the convertion kit has the hear sink mount around the motor and i dont think others will fit in there so i would have to change the whole box and dice. i would love for it to be bomb proof that was my hope with the novak system, but it never came throgh.