Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Planning on building a Spy Car... HELP!!! >

Planning on building a Spy Car... HELP!!!

Planning on building a Spy Car... HELP!!!

Old 12-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Planning on building a Spy Car... HELP!!!

hi,
I would really like to build one of those cool spy cars. I'm a computer geek and I don't know very much about rc cars. I have a low budget also (around $50US).

Before I find out if this is possible or not, here is would I would like to get out of it.
  • Must go Off road
  • Must have some set-up that wirelessly transmits Video footage
  • must be able to be controlled from at-least 100 metres away (with me sitting in the house)
  • Must either be controlled from the Remote or laptop

I'm planning on buying parts off ebay to build or customize the rc car.
What is your opinion?
Thanks,
Fastboy42
Old 12-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fastboy42
hi,
I would really like to build one of those cool spy cars. I'm a computer geek and I don't know very much about rc cars. I have a low budget also (around $50US).

Before I find out if this is possible or not, here is would I would like to get out of it.
  • Must go Off road
  • Must have some set-up that wirelessly transmits Video footage
  • must be able to be controlled from at-least 100 metres away (with me sitting in the house)
  • Must either be controlled from the Remote or laptop
I'm planning on buying parts off ebay to build or customize the rc car.
What is your opinion?
Thanks,
Fastboy42
With only a $50 budget I wouldnt bother. You'll need at least $250
Old 12-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

for 50 dollars? a camera only is 150-200 as far as ive seen. and it only recordes so you cant see what you looking at till you bring it back(as far as i know). A wih a remote is standered. 100-200 meters is completly doable. you can buy a cheap used duratrax evader off ebay for 50 dollars than you would need to find the camera.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the reply,
what do you think of an rc car like this:
images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/tq/98/113761398.jpg
or this:
images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/67/113756867_full.jpg
Those are both selling for about $5.
Could I use a set-up with a wireless router hooked up to a camera? would that make it cheaper?

p.s
You will need to add the http to the front of those urls ^, The forum won't let me post them yet
Old 12-12-2009, 11:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

honestly unless you want something that is going to work well you need to spend a little more money than that , fid a cheap used rc car on ebay that is ready to run or on the used forums on here and then add a camera , since you are a computer geek the camera part should be easy for you , you can go with a decent camera and spend some money or a cheap small camera that is sued in most digital cameras and cell phones...heres some cheap cameras that may help you - http://yhst-14197398381157.ecommerce...itrorcx.com%2F
Old 12-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

uhh wireless route hooked up to a camera. i guess you could do that if you go the right camera and it was small enough for a car.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:17 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

I think you got something going here!

You could power it up with a small fusion reactor and with satelite up link you could pick up realtime video off the internet and control it with the same signal!
But it would be necessary to arm this device, for defensive purposes only of course!
Old 12-12-2009, 11:58 PM
pbo
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Bro

The radio equipment required to give you 100m of range would consume you budget a few times over. It's like asking to sail around the world in a chilly bin - aint gunna happen
Old 12-13-2009, 12:40 AM
Tech Rookie

I've got the router. All I need is a cam. I want to hook the webcam up to the router. This is very hard to do without an ip webcam. Anyone know how I can hook this a regular webcam up to the router?
Old 12-13-2009, 05:04 AM
Tech Rookie

How are you planning on powering the wireless router? =/
Old 12-13-2009, 05:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fastboy42
I've got the router. All I need is a cam. I want to hook the webcam up to the router. This is very hard to do without an ip webcam. Anyone know how I can hook this a regular webcam up to the router?
Well you cant be much of a computer geek, because if you were you would know that cant be done. Only devices that can be connected must be ip addressable.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Yeah, you'd need a little computer on the car too for the wireless router idea to work :P
I think this is a great idea, but you probably need to raise your budget quite a lot, and do a bit more research.
Maybe take a look at the FlyCamOne and their 2.4 Ghz transmitter set. It's built for a heli but you could probably quite easily attach it to a car. Take a look at "heliguy.com/Extras/Heli-Cameras/Introduction". If you get the core set it comes with a screen to attach the receiver from the 2.4 Ghz transmitter set to. It's a website from the UK, but converted those two cost $300 dollars together.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi,
I was planning on building a simplier version of this:
jbprojects.net/projects/wifirobot/[/url]
Well you cant be much of a computer geek, because if you were you would know that cant be done. Only devices that can be connected must be ip addressable.
Hey, I didn't say I Know everything.
What do you mean anyway?
Old 12-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

What I mean is you need the camera to be able to be assigned an ip address or the router will not recognize it. You cannot modify something to do this, either it is or it isnt. The cheapest ip cam I can find is around $90 US, but they are quite large and cumbersome. Perhaps you could find one cheaper but I doubt it as most ip cams are designed for security purposes. They all seem to be bulky, have ir which is what u want I guess and are way over your budget.

You can get wifi enabled cameras but they are even more expensive and bulky. Also they all run off 240v so you would need an inverter in the car. These are also bulky, heavy and would flatten the batteries really quickly.