Wiki Posts
Search

power drill/screwdriver

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default power drill/screwdriver

Looking at finally treating myself to one of these power screw driver/ drills. For those of you that aready use them what one works the best.

Home Depot has the Ryobi 4V drill that looks great for $30.

http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/po...drivers/HP41LK

I know B&D makes one as well.

I tried the Ryobi and it seems very powerful but worried the clutch settings may not work to protect stripping screws driven into plastic?

Anyone use this model for there 10th scale R/C cars and can let me know how they like it?

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The Ryobi wasn't available when I bought my B&D 3yrs ago. It has no clutch and I've never missed it. I don't strip screws into plastic either. Its no big deal to let off at the right time and use the driver itself to turn the last bit and get the torque I want.

I use a full size Dewalt cordless and don't depend on that clutch either except to protect the drill itself. If I was buying again, I'd consider the Ryobi, but the clutch wouldn't be a selling point for me. Been happy with the B&D.

Price is right attractive though.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
Looking at finally treating myself to one of these power screw driver/ drills. For those of you that aready use them what one works the best.

Home Depot has the Ryobi 4V drill that looks great for $30.

http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/po...drivers/HP41LK

I know B&D makes one as well.

I tried the Ryobi and it seems very powerful but worried the clutch settings may not work to protect stripping screws driven into plastic?

Anyone use this model for there 10th scale R/C cars and can let me know how they like it?

Thanks!
I have that model and use it all the time. The clutch is real loose at the1 or 2
settings so you won't be ripping out too many threads. However, you will soften the plastic due to the friction of turning in the screw faster than by hand and can damage it that way. The longer the screw the greater the friction. I just let it drive the screw down to almost fully seated and finish that last few turns by hand.

The nicest thing about the driver is the ability to use speed tips. I have the Integy hex set and they fit perfectly in the collet. Same with nut drivers.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I bought that exact Ryobi from HD. I love it. I use it on my 1/10th scale and 1/8th scale stuff and I have never had it strip a screw. It is totally worth it!
Old 12-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Tech Regular

You're probably best getting something with an adjustable clutch that will allow you to not strip plastic.

I'm currently using 2 Black & Decker electric screwdrivers ($9 each at Wally World) that are different colors to differentiate between the 2 sizes I need them for. I use my regular hex driver to loosen the first few turns and tighten the last few turns, and the electric to pull screws out and drive between the first few turns and the last few turns. It's fast, and not an issue as far as convenience.

Have yet to strip anything using this method.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Tech Champion

The Ryobi is great. It's slow enough to quite controllable, doubt if it's heating the threads much. Setting 3 to 4 works well for me on 1/10 scale Losi stuff, never had a stripping problem. Use it for the rear buggy wheel nuts too. Really helps out my old hands & wrists.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

THIS.
http://www.whitecap.com/products/281DB3DL
Old 12-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Tech Prophet

Great feedback. Thanks guys!

Mirrorman-- I had someone else recommend that Hitachi as well and I have seen those around the pits. I might have to look more into that one. Is it variable speed?

I might get the ryobi as I think I will be using it more for building cars and when I need quick turnaround (break between rounds and stuff) and save the $10 but still looking around.

Just a shamless plug but losi is releasing a 8-1 tool with QC bits.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...odId=LOSA99120

First set I have seen that comes with Std and Metric AND the 3/32 come sine stright and ball ends.

I know there are other great sets out there as well. Hudy just released 7mm and 5.5mm nut driver QC bits on redrc today. Hudy also makes the best phillips bits I have ever used. Have one of those screw drivers for home projects as well as my R/C box!
Old 12-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
The Ryobi is great. It's slow enough to quite controllable, doubt if it's heating the threads much. Setting 3 to 4 works well for me on 1/10 scale Losi stuff, never had a stripping problem. Use it for the rear buggy wheel nuts too. Really helps out my old hands & wrists.
As I said I DO have this one and as slow as it goes if the screw is long and or tight it heats up. Trust me it does.

So far I have not stripped any threads yet in the two years I've had it.

BTW the LED light is great to illuminate the work.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Tech Prophet

I can heat up a screw in graphite by hand. It does not take much!
Old 12-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah, I should have worded that better. Of course there is some heat anytime there is friction and/or deformation/strain. Should have said it hasn’t been a problem in my experience.

Don’t know if the local temp reaches the softening temp, but even if it does these are thermoplastic parts I believe, not thermosets, so it should cool back to nearly the same properties.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Got a little Captain in ya??

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I think I'm gettin one for christmas (power screw driver). Checked around at prices for allen tips and wow 25-40 bucks for a set of 3or5 and they're not changable if you break a tip. Well good ol dewalt at home depot has a set of allens for 6 bucks so for a cheaper alturnitive one can check there FYI
I know their not near the quility but I'm cheap
Old 12-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
The Ryobi is great.

+1
Old 12-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by hot rod rc
I think I'm gettin one for christmas (power screw driver). Checked around at prices for allen tips and wow 25-40 bucks for a set of 3or5 and they're not changable if you break a tip. Well good ol dewalt at home depot has a set of allens for 6 bucks so for a cheaper alturnitive one can check there FYI
I know their not near the quility but I'm cheap
I am sorry to say but especially for the 2mm and 1/16th and the fact that this is a power tool, the first couple screws you strip out will make you kick yourself for going cheap. You will most likely be fine with the 3/32 but sizes smaller then that I have found really benefit from the hardned tips. I have done the cheap tool thing years ago and swore I would not go cheap in the future and have never regreted the money I spent on good tools.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Add me to the long list of Hitachi users - I've had mine for 3 - 4 years and except for the time I dropped it it's been solid - and actually the drop didn't break anything but moved a cover over the battery contact where it wouldn't power up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.