Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What's the big deal about rock crawlers? >

What's the big deal about rock crawlers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the big deal about rock crawlers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Thanks for the info on that site. I'll give it a look.

But, my question was more directed at why there isn't a crawler forum on RCTech? There are forums for everything else.

ben
Old 12-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I used to think the same thing. I didnt think it could be fun. Then I built a WK based crawler and now miss it, after selling it. It was sooooo much fun.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by armourbl
Thanks for the info on that site. I'll give it a look.

But, my question was more directed at why there isn't a crawler forum on RCTech? There are forums for everything else.

ben
I started a thread in the Australian section. Rockcrawling in Cairns.
It's ment for local info but if you want, feel free to post .

Or

Start your own thread....Rock on
Old 12-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Tech Elite

I think it's the possibility to take it anywhere, the low maintenance, the lack of need for a track or any setup and the anything goes attitude. Plus you don't need to buy any upgrades from anyone. Make your own! As many indeed do. Some even start a bussiness (paradoxically) and sell their contraptions to everyone else. Just look at all the backyard bussiness popping up in the crawler world and you'll understand there is no limit to people's creativity.

Crawling is indeed distinct from any other branch of R/C because technique is more important than technology so you get to work on it and can't really blame electronics or mechanicals if you can't make it. OK, if you have a bigger rig, you might need strong servos, but that's about it.

The very fact that they have an entire forum dedicated only to crawling is a sign the field is indeed vast (remember this forum here has a number of different fields of R/C, ie.e offroad, on road, F1, 1/12 plus flavours like nitro/electric etc, all with their specifics).
Old 12-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Tech Regular

It's really a different type of rc, it's not racing. I was burnt out with touring cars. I tried drifting, lost interest after the newness wore off. I tried crawling it when it first came out, back when you had to build your own rig. I watched a couple of videos and saw a demo at the rc expo. I didn't appeal to me, they looked like turtles than would flip over and look pitiful.

I bought at Slash, I liked the SC spec class concept. I raced three times and won on my third attempt. but it's so slow. I just picked up a slash 4x4, this should keep me interested for a few more races. lol.

I do like the realism of some of the Crawlers, and that's what I enjoy about the SC trucks, and its mad fun to watch the real life trucks race.

I have a need for speed!! rc speed that is and it's still exciting. I just gotta have some speed.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Rock crawlers are awesome. I used to be one of the skeptics that couldnt see the fun it either, until I tried it. It is such a technical sport, you really learn the limits of your truck fast! I think the fun of a crawler is the build tweek and tune to the truck, and how challenging it is. Anybody can take a buggy or truck or whatever out of a box fire it up/ load in some batteries and drive around a track. But it takes a fine touch or a well built rig to crawl. I have all kinds of RCs, cars boats trucks planes helis, whatever I have had them all or still do have them (current collection around 30). I used to manage a hobby shop for about two years, and the only truck I have ever had that kept my interest all the time are my cralwers, comp/scale/custom build. They are all awesome. To anyone that ever thought about doin it give it a shot............
Old 12-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

as the saying goes dont knock it til you tried it..........