R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-03-2004, 10:31 AM   #1
Tech Legend
Trader Rating: 205 (100%+)
Default When to use different type of foam inserts

Hey all,

I wanted to know for offroad trucks, when do you use different types of foam inserts and what benefits do you get from these included the two stage inserts.

Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 05:42 PM   #2
Tech Elite

For truck front tires, we almost always use the standard foam that comes with the tire.

For truck rears, the longer the pin you are running, the softer the foam. With few exceptions, we run nothing stiffer than gray foam. Next softer is gray-and-white, then the standard foam. We don't run much gray, usually gray-and-white or standard. It depends on the dirt, compound, and pin you're running.

The consistant exception, front and rear, is Panther tires, which always seem to work best with a stiffer foam, usually either Panther's gray foam or 3-Stage.

Hope this helps.
Engineering Without Fear
YoungChazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 06:26 AM   #3
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

Different foam is like different air pressure in a car's tire. The standard foam will wear-out quicker than the tire will and will then result in the sidewall flexing excessively in turns.....thus taking away traction. In my XXX, I run the rear tire standard foam all stuffed into the front tire to make it super hard. Then I run 2-stage (white-blue) inserts in the rear tires. On my truck, I like to run 2-stage foams in the rear, and blue foams in the front. However, if you are ever able to run slicks on your dirt track, you want a very stiff tire. In this case you'd want to run grey foams front and rear.
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote