Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kyosho Inferno VE vs. OFNA LX-1

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Some more
Attached Thumbnails Kyosho Inferno VE vs. OFNA LX-1-img_1989.jpg   Kyosho Inferno VE vs. OFNA LX-1-img_1988.jpg   Kyosho Inferno VE vs. OFNA LX-1-img_1993.jpg  
Old 12-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SquireSCA
Some more
Squire,

Let me know how those big bores work out. I'm thinking about picking up one of these to race at my local track and bash around with. Stormer has em @ $400, hard to beat that deal. Were you able to fit a single 4S pack without modifying the battery tray?
Old 12-17-2009, 09:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 85sfarunner
Squire,

Let me know how those big bores work out. I'm thinking about picking up one of these to race at my local track and bash around with. Stormer has em @ $400, hard to beat that deal. Were you able to fit a single 4S pack without modifying the battery tray?
I did modify the tray slightly, but not by much.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:38 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Wow, those O'Donnell shocks really dwarf the stock Inferno shocks! I have a set of TTR ST-1 shocks I can use that have been very durable on my truggy. I'm really wanting to get an Inferno VE. I can get a pretty good price on one. But finances have me holding back. That and I'm interested in a 4WD HPI Blitz too, but I don't know when (if ever) that will come out. I was told by someone that knows people in the industry that HPI has no current plans for a 4WD Blitz.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JSR
Wow, those O'Donnell shocks really dwarf the stock Inferno shocks! I have a set of TTR ST-1 shocks I can use that have been very durable on my truggy. I'm really wanting to get an Inferno VE. I can get a pretty good price on one. But finances have me holding back. That and I'm interested in a 4WD HPI Blitz too, but I don't know when (if ever) that will come out. I was told by someone that knows people in the industry that HPI has no current plans for a 4WD Blitz.
Well, there is the Slash 4x4, and now they have a Platinum series that comes with center diff, upgraded aluminum turnbuckles, 16mm big bore shocks, sway bars, etc...

Even the stock model looks awesome. 4WD, VXL system, 2.4Ghz radio, plus it is has a much lower center of balance compared to the 2WD model. It should be an awesome truck, and running 3S lipo should keep up with 1/8 scale buggies...

I will have the Inferno VE at the track tomorrow and I will report back on how the O'Donnell shocks performed.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JSR
I've seen the OFNA short course truck at my local track and it's damn fast with a high performance brushless setup, but the 1/8 scale electrics are incredible. I drove my friends converted Xray buggy and I'm hooked! For what I want to do, I think the VE is the best deal right now.

I emailed Kyosho USA tech support about the Vortex ESC stock settings and this was their response (same day),

"The speed control is not adjustable as it sits, it is a plug and play. There is an optional setting box where you will be able to adjust quite a few parameters on the speed control. ( the setting box should become available in about a month)

This is what I could find out about the stock settings:

Battery is auto detect

Brake is 10% (power, not drag)

Acceleration curve MED

Forward power limit 100% (Full power)

Reverse 50% power

Drive frequency 8khz

That’s the best I can do for now. I will try to gather more information as it becomes available.

Best Regards,

Derek Furutani

Kyosho Corporation of America"
Old 12-18-2009, 09:33 PM
JSR
Tech Master

I'm not a big fan of the way the Slash looks. One of the main reasons I like an SC is it's looks and realism and I just don't really like the way the Slash looks, at least the 2WD. I really like the way the Blitz looks though. I've seen the Slash, Blitz, and SC10 in person. I don't think my LHS will have an Ofna Hyper SC on display as Ofna's not one of their main brands (though they can get them). The Hyper does look quite nice though.

I wonder if the program box will be similar, if not identical, to the Hobbywing program boxes since HW makes Orion ESCs. If that's the case, I have a few program boxes already. I hope you can adjust the LVC as I don't like the typical default setting of 3.0V. That lets one cell drop too low if others are a bit higher. The LVC and the brakes would be a couple of things I'd adjust, but otherwise the stock settings look pretty good.

I checked the top speed with the stock gearing (I forgot how many teeth are on the spur, but I used the right amount when I did the calculation) and the stock 12T pinion and it only showed a top speed of about 30mph. I gear most of my vehicles for about 40mph. Can anyone comment on what they think the top speed is? Just wondering if the calculations are right.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JSR
I'm not a big fan of the way the Slash looks. One of the main reasons I like an SC is it's looks and realism and I just don't really like the way the Slash looks, at least the 2WD. I really like the way the Blitz looks though. I've seen the Slash, Blitz, and SC10 in person. I don't think my LHS will have an Ofna Hyper SC on display as Ofna's not one of their main brands (though they can get them). The Hyper does look quite nice though.

I wonder if the program box will be similar, if not identical, to the Hobbywing program boxes since HW makes Orion ESCs. If that's the case, I have a few program boxes already. I hope you can adjust the LVC as I don't like the typical default setting of 3.0V. That lets one cell drop too low if others are a bit higher. The LVC and the brakes would be a couple of things I'd adjust, but otherwise the stock settings look pretty good.

I checked the top speed with the stock gearing (I forgot how many teeth are on the spur, but I used the right amount when I did the calculation) and the stock 12T pinion and it only showed a top speed of about 30mph. I gear most of my vehicles for about 40mph. Can anyone comment on what they think the top speed is? Just wondering if the calculations are right.
30mph using what battery?
Old 12-19-2009, 01:33 PM
JSR
Tech Master

I used the parts listed on the parts list:

12T pinion
48T spur
4s LiPo
2050kV motor
4.5" Tire OD

Top speed = 30.7mph

Here's with various pinions:

12T 30.70 mph
13T 33.26 mph
14T 35.82 mph
15T 38.37 mph
16T 40.93 mph
17T 43.49 mph
18T 46.05 mph
19T 48.61 mph
20T 51.17 mph
Old 12-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JSR
I used the parts listed on the parts list:

12T pinion
48T spur
4s LiPo
2050kV motor
4.5" Tire OD

Top speed = 30.7mph

Here's with various pinions:

12T 30.70 mph
13T 33.26 mph
14T 35.82 mph
15T 38.37 mph
16T 40.93 mph
17T 43.49 mph
18T 46.05 mph
19T 48.61 mph
20T 51.17 mph
I thought this thing had a 54T spur?
Old 12-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Squire have you tinkered with the gears at all on the VE? stock gearing only seems to get me about 30mph w/ (2)2s lipos..
Old 12-19-2009, 02:20 PM
JSR
Tech Master

More spur teeth would result in lower top speed. For more speed, you need a taller gear ratio (lower number).
Old 12-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I understand.. Amain has a 44t (stock is 48t) plastic one but i was just wondering how much difference it made if anyone has ever tried it out...
Old 12-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rinferno
Get the Kyosho, better quality the the Ofna. Ive owned the inferno series since day one. The VE is based on the 7.5 inferno which has been a world champion buggy a few years back. Parts up to the Kyosho MP 777 will fit for the most part on the VE, including Kyosho big bore shocks. The ofna chassis is the base model of their buggy line.
Not many 777 parts will fit on the 7.5 platform. The shocks will as will the bearings and the diff internals/bulkheads but that's about it.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:12 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Originally Posted by *BBB*
I understand.. Amain has a 44t (stock is 48t) plastic one but i was just wondering how much difference it made if anyone has ever tried it out...
44T spur with 12T pinion comes out to 33.5mph.

It's probably cheaper to pick up a multi-pack of Novak or RRP pinions to adjust top speed to your needs. I've gotten the Novak 3-pack pinions from Tower before...nice deal and the Novak pinions so far have been as durable as the RRPs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.