Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
EZRun Vs Mamba Max Pro >

EZRun Vs Mamba Max Pro

EZRun Vs Mamba Max Pro

Old 12-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

No experience with the EZRun but I have the Mamba Max Pro 5700kv in my Blitz and love it! Plenty of power and torque and trouble free.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have a few of each type of system here. I have a 60a ezrun and mamba max pro, plus other speed controllers from each company. While I think Castle makes the absolute best equipment in the business, I would not hesitate to buy another EZrun system. I have run them in everything from 18th scale cars to 10th scale 18V setups and they always perform great. You get what you pay for is a statement about the warranty of a product and nothing else. I also think the 5700 is more than enough for a truck on the biggest tracks.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have the EZ-Run 60a esc with the 5.5t (6000kv) motor. I've been running this combo for one year, it's been in a xx-4, slash and now it's in my SC-10. In the same time period I've also been running Novak and LRP motors, I'm on my 2nd novak and 3rd LRP motor due to rotor failure. I am still running the original EZ run motor. There are two other guys at our track that run the same Ez run combo's in the CORR class, and we beat the piss out these trucks. So far not one EZ run has failed, motor or ESC. On the track the power delivery feels the same as my LRP tc spec, it's only from a dead stop and using a very light throttle to start rolling that you can tell a difference. But once the buzzer goes and the race starts there is no way you can tell the difference between the two. The only deciding factor between the two is, do you want to support a USA co. or do you want to save a few bucks. Their both good products, ( I think the castle motors are made in china also).
Old 12-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I have been running casle brushless for 2 yrs. now,they are great..you will get 30% more torque with the max system over the sidewinder system.
MOST IMPORTANT--Always gear a brushless motor to temp[180 Max] once geared to temp and need more speed go to a higher KV or lower turn motor...
Old 12-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rifraf
I have been running casle brushless for 2 yrs. now,they are great..you will get 30% more torque with the max system over the sidewinder system.
MOST IMPORTANT--Always gear a brushless motor to temp[180 Max] once geared to temp and need more speed go to a higher KV or lower turn motor...
Is there a max temp common for all brushless motors?
Old 12-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by slashracer
Is there a max temp common for all brushless motors?
I would not go over 200 on any brand 1/10 brushless motor,we are all out for the lowest possible motor temps,within reason..
Brushless speed controls are not AS touchy on temps as they are equiped with a protection diode,Usually set to thermal at 225.[Castle anyways]
Old 12-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

I think I am pretty much set on getting a Mamba Max Pro 5700kv. Its not that I think EZRuns are that bad, everyone seems to like them. I think I am just more comfortable spending an extra 80 bucks and getting something with some kind of warranty. Im afraid if I get a bad EZRun out of the box, ill be stuck with it. I probably am totally wrong but its just a mental think for me i guess.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

I am sure the ezrun are good brushless systems also,the most important thing to all brushless systems is running at good motor temps,and having a good temp gun.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have heard abouth the difference between the two motors myself. Thats why I have debated getting the 8.5t and not the 10t. What is your opinion of the EZ 8.5t vs the CC 5700kv for my application?
I would get a 5.5t running on 2s. Make sure to get the 60a esc and the real 540 motor. These systems are great for the money, they stay cool to.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think I am pretty much set on getting a Mamba Max Pro 5700kv. Its not that I think EZRuns are that bad, everyone seems to like them. I think I am just more comfortable spending an extra 80 bucks and getting something with some kind of warranty. Im afraid if I get a bad EZRun out of the box, ill be stuck with it. I probably am totally wrong but its just a mental think for me i guess.
Note that the MM motors are notorious for running hot. Make sure to gear that thing right.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I run the EzRun 60a with a Velineon 3500 for about the last 5 (going onto 6) months now and about 2-3 months before that on an Hobbywing 9t motor.

I have had no problems aside from one (my own fault), a broken switch.
Runs great, little cogging at very low speeds and barely ever goes over 32C.

I would not hesitate in buying another. (although I wouldn't say no to a MMP)

They are not low quality at all.
The biggest advantage to the Castle is support and warranty.

But at the end of the day we are talking about a $60-$70+ ESC compared to a $125+ ESC.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:19 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by burnineyes
You get what you pay for is a statement about the warranty of a product and nothing else.
I completely agree with this statement in this case. Everyone likes to doubt the new systems, especially if they come from China, but keep in mind that Hobbywing makes the ESCs for Speed Passion, Orion, Venom, and others. So if you have confidence in these "US" brands, then you should have the same confidence in the EZRuns (which the US brands just rebadge and sell as their own at higher prices).
I have a bunch of EZRuns, both 1/10 and 1/8 scale systems. The 1/10 stuff is bulletproof. I've had a motor short and the 60A EZRun ESC was still fine after that and still ticking away in another truck. I've had the 13.5T and 17.5T motors and all have been great. Do NOT get the whole number motors (8T, 9T, etc.) as those are 380-size rotors and internals. Get the ".5T" motors (5.5T, 8.5T, etc.) as those are true 540-size motors and run much better, torquier, and cooler.
The MMPro setup would cost nearly double. With one of the CC CM-motors, you would have to run sensorless, so you wouldn't get any of the MMPro's sensored-advantages. As burnineyes said, it comes down to warranty and customer service. If the additional price is worth it to you for the comfort of easily reachable warranty/customer service, then go with the CC setup. But don't base your decision thinking the CC will perform leagues better...they will perform similarly and both have great durability. Just ask yourself if the additional cost of the CC is worth it in the chance you have a failure.
Good luck.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

MMPro is a sensored system (although, you get an sensorless motor in the combo until Castle comes out with sensored motors).

Ezrun, despite having the ".5" are all sensorless ESCs.

Xerun, are the sensored units of Hobbywing.

While I'm a fan of Castle's stuff (having two Mamba Max), I discovered that for most things 1/10th, Hobbywing's Ezrun 60A units are more then plenty for it...

Also, Hobbywing combos are dirt cheap, very reliable (I have two units already, running flawlessly).

The 17.5, 60A V2 Ezrun, with programmer card cost me just a hair over $100.

A sidewinder combo comes close (which is spec-wise, the Ezrun 60A is closer to).

I know that some of the 1/12th guys run the 35A versions. But with a good set of battery and LiPos in a 1/10th 4wd vehicle, I would run no less than a 60A ESC...

For your Hyper 4x4 SC, I would recommend getting an Ezrun 60A V2 with either a 10.5 or a 13.5T motor.

8.5T and 9.5T are also good if you want your SC to rip. But I found that 4wd 1/10th buggy or trucks generally likes to have a 10-12T power in my opinion...
Old 12-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default get the max

you'll have better luck with the max and if you ever need customer service theirs is pretty good.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:55 AM
Tech Adept

I've been running EzRun 35A/9T setups in my DB01, FT B4, and a TC4 I threw together. I have the 35A/10T in my SC10 and just picked up a 60A/5.5T that I have to decide what I want to put it in.

Besides being cheap, running around the track the things are fast enough that people always ask what I'm running. Have never had a problem with any of them.

Of course I also have a few Novak Havoks, Tekin RS, Traxxas VXL-3s, and a Mamba Monster, and would consider the EzRun a match for any of the sensorless setups.

One question I have though is why does everyone think the 380 case and internals is such a problem? It's an electric motor where the power is dependent on the current you run through it. For a typical 1/10 scale it has the capacity and you pick up some efficiencies because of the smaller size (as well as having a great built in heatsink.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.