Wiki Posts
Search

XRAY XB8 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by speedy2
there must be something about the xb8 they don't seem to win any races really,
the battery went dead, flywheelrods came loose, the steering is always rubbing on some suspensionholder parts, even now again with the 3D steering plate, steering toe-in out(which is very ugly) and steering rods sometimes popping off (:bad design there up front), to much play in the rear infer. suspensionparts and also in the front steering blocks(cvds static moving up and down to much in the bearings) , carbonplates cracking, chassis flex,
wow ha ha ha...!!????
Old 08-04-2005, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I've only been racing 1/8 for a season but I have come to the realization that all the cars have their problems. I am running the jammin and my car has never let me down in about 5 gallons. I've finished every race I've ran and even won most of them . I had the shock screws back out once but that was becasue I didnt have the setscrews in. Other than that my car is awesome once I got the initial bugs worked out, which I did before it ever hit the track.

The xray is definatley a nice car but the parts are crazy expensive. I mean 45 dollars for one center universal? I'll stick with the jammin, the quality might be a little less than the xray but the car handles just as good and parts are half the price or less. Its under 30 bucks for a pair of center universals for my car.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

posted by Arghh, "maybe when another new buggy coming out, the xb8 will be the bad and the new one is the best... tehehe"

Maybe...........Especially since I rarely change cars hoping for one that isn't as good. I've had 7 different buggies from 5 different brands so far.

If your interested, so far the order I like them in is. MBX5, 7.5, Hyper 7, X1, RS01, MBX4......I'll find a spot in the list for the XB8 after a few races.

How many different ones have you tried?

Do any of you guys get a new car hoping to go slower and be less competitive? I know in the 20 years i've been racing I have yet to switch because I thought my next car was worse?

LOL....funny stuff though, being surprised someone thinks thier latest ride is better, that's never happened before?.......... , haha, Jim
Old 08-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Tech Adept

Jim,

What power plant are you going to put in your XB8. I just ordered a XB8R to run around FL...stricklands, ocala, lake park etc. What mill would you recomend for under $250? And pipe as well?
Old 08-08-2005, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Travymoto, I was running a Picco mega engine, modded by Maxy of Maxy Fuels, but the carb was giving me some grief, it has a little less then a gallon on it.....so it just came out for a Maxy Modded Novarossi P5X. Some have told me a novarossi carb will fit and wrok excellent, but with an upcoming state race I didn't want to try it out yet.

The P5X is a $350 engine in modded form, .... so out of your price range.

I would look for a RB S7, or a similar engine. Stay with RB, NovaRossi, or O.S. and you'll have a good engine. Not that the other brands aren't good, just not as proven and that could hurt the budget minded racer.........Jim
Old 08-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

let say using rb or jp carb on lower level engine, can it improve the engine performance, how many % improvement..?? does this mod act like exhaust, different exhaust will give different power
Old 08-08-2005, 06:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i have heard of a few guys swapping the collari carb that comes with the B3/B7 for an RB carb with great results. the collari is a great engine but i've heard that the reason for the carb swap is because of some slop that develops in the collari carbs after a few gallons. the RB carb apparently makes it run a lot stronger....
Old 08-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

I personally always hope my new buggy will be better than the one I am replacing. Ive gone from GS Storm to MBX4XR to MBX5 to Kanai 2 to XB8R each of them has had some issues.

I run the XB8R without the steering mods or any dremel work of any type it steers well enough I dont feel like I need to modify anything.

I dont think changing the brand of carb will yeild any performance enhancement unless of course the carb is a bigger diameter.

And the best motor for around $250 has got to be the RB Concepts S7 2 you can get them for under $250 and they perform really well and last really long.

Now my XB8 complaints are that I broke a clutch spring the clutch bearings didnt last and I bent a caliper. Not too worried about the clutch stuff that isnt so strange but the bent caliper I think is really odd and Im not the only one who bent one either.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have read a lot of good things about the new Novarossi 3 port for under $200. I saw one run the ohter day and must say it is a strong contender to replace the P-5. Taking out the Xb8 for the first runs tomorrow to see if I got the right set up on it. It looks good on paper anyways.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

A carb can only improve performance if it holds it's tune better, or flows more air and fuel(aka larger inlet size).

The reason for a carb swap on the Picco is the same as the Collari, better tuneability.

The Picco Mega engine I just replaced with a P5X was so strong I was using the smallest restrictor at 7mm to tame it down. I found out now after getting the new engine that it likely only needed a richer bottom end then may seem normal for best results.......oh well, I like to change them out every gallon or two anyhow, before they are so worn they become worthless..........Jim
Old 08-08-2005, 08:44 PM
Tech Adept

I decided to bump up the budget a bit so I went with the Novarossi P5X.

Last edited by travymoto1; 08-09-2005 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Sweet, LOL, that's the way to kill the budget..I can't argue with your choice though, I just came in from breaking my in a little, three heat cycles(3 minutes of off idle running heat, then cool down) and 3 tanks after...............Lets race, haha, Jim
Old 08-09-2005, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Me too I have a EB mods P5 on its way to me right now. Hopefully I can get it Thursday so Friday I can run a couple tanks on it before our regional this weekend. Its a replacement for the one I just killed by not oiling the x-ray filter well enough lesson learned there is no such thing as too much filter oil only too little.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The xray filter may be the worst product xray makes. I know about 5 people that have killed their motors by using the xray filter. Especially at hobby hut, where dust reigns supreme.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim
Sweet, LOL, that's the way to kill the budget..I can't argue with your choice though, I just came in from breaking my in a little, three heat cycles(3 minutes of off idle running heat, then cool down) and 3 tanks after...............Lets race, haha, Jim
I'm looking forward to getting mine.

Last edited by travymoto1; 08-10-2005 at 05:27 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.