1/10 2wd buggies

Old 10-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Tech Regular

Default 1/10 2wd buggies

I am thinking of getting into buggies. Who are the main players I should consider in the 1/10 scale 2wd? Pros and cons of suggestions would also be of great help. Thanks all.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JMYBFFT
I am thinking of getting into buggies. Who are the main players I should consider in the 1/10 scale 2wd? Pros and cons of suggestions would also be of great help. Thanks all.
i orderd a kyosho rb5 sp last week, my lhs will recieve it tomorrow,it should be a sweeeet buggy,just that parts are a little hard to get my way,takes a couple weeks for the parts to come in when i order them at my lhs.but theres a bunch of good buggys out there rite now.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

There are three main players. Losi XXX-CR, AE B4 and Kyosho RB5.

The RB5 is the most expensive and as has already been stated parts can be hard to find and are expensive. Car handles great and has proven durable.

The B4 is a great handing car but I would say is the least durable for the average club racer. I have seen a lot of parts broken from front towers, to chassis on this car. Parts are cheap and easy to find though. Shocks are the worst. They are smooth but require very freqent rebuilding

The Losi is a good strong car. Parts might be a little harder to find depending on your area but should be much easier to find then kyosho parts in most places. The losi is a very durable with parts being cheaper like the B4. The team guys have been using some older parts on the car which means some extra investment (~$20) to run "team setups". Shocks are good with far less frequent rebuilding then the AE shocks.

All three cars are very competative. All will get you in the winners circle.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You can't go wrong with an offerring from the big 4. Associated, losi, kyosho and traxxas. i think they all will suit your needs because they all take a little different approach to end at the same point. I am a little partial to Associated and Kyosho because I have owned or do own some and have had really good luck with them both. The first thing is to see what your LHS has stocked for parts and steer towards that one.

If you are looking in to cheap, rc car action rated the duratrax evader the best entry level 2wd buggy and there is the MRC/Team Academy 2wd buggy that both should be sufficient to wet your taste buds on a 2wd buggy. Tamiya also makes solid product but I never really liked the way they looked.

in the racing scene, at the club level anything from the big 4 will be competitive in my opinion. for bashing, get yourself some extra front control arms and shock towers as they are usually the first to get broken. regardless of what buggy you get.

anything you get will be a ton of fun. after all these years, i still enjoy the buggies the most and when I got back into the hobby, i bought my rc10 b4 first.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

I just recently swiched to a Kyosho rb5 from a losi Bk2, and cr buggy. I will agree with casper that the parts and the veh are more expensive up front. the bugy is great the shocks are the best on the market and parts seem to be very durable. Depending on your area and who all runs parts might not be that bad for the Kyosho as most people have the normal parts that break you can either buy or borrow and replace with new the next week if needed.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks all. Great information as usual. This is a great forum.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JMYBFFT

All of the names above, with the exception of the Traxxas bandit, are competitive buggies.

I have been in rc for a very long time, and have yet to see a bandit competitive againced the others on the track.

My opinion on the top two buggies are the Associated and the Kyosho, but you should buy what ever you like, in addition, to what is supported in your local area.

Local support is just as important as parts availability.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I don't think you really can go wrong with any of the race level buggies out there right now. A lot of it comes down to your driving style.

I personally run the Academy GV2 Pro buggy, and I have been quite happy with it. It comes with some nice hopups standard that are options on other vehicles. I have always been a big fan of the Associated B4 as I could always get it to work wherever I ran, but I am seeing better durability with the GV2 Pro as well as it fits my driving style better. Some nice aftermarket parts are available for it too from diggity designs as well, and it can use AE style wheels or the 12mm hex wheels it comes with standard for the rear, which are nice are the whole pin setup on wheels I am not a fan of.

If you want something alittle different, the Academy GV2 Pro is a nice option.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

X factory X6
Old 10-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bschanz
You can't go wrong with an offerring from the big 4. Associated, losi, kyosho and traxxas. i think they all will suit your needs because they all take a little different approach to end at the same point. I am a little partial to Associated and Kyosho because I have owned or do own some and have had really good luck with them both. The first thing is to see what your LHS has stocked for parts and steer towards that one.

If you are looking in to cheap, rc car action rated the duratrax evader the best entry level 2wd buggy and there is the MRC/Team Academy 2wd buggy that both should be sufficient to wet your taste buds on a 2wd buggy. Tamiya also makes solid product but I never really liked the way they looked.

in the racing scene, at the club level anything from the big 4 will be competitive in my opinion. for bashing, get yourself some extra front control arms and shock towers as they are usually the first to get broken. regardless of what buggy you get.

anything you get will be a ton of fun. after all these years, i still enjoy the buggies the most and when I got back into the hobby, i bought my rc10 b4 first.
The "big" 4 traxxas?? Yeah right.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by x60Driver
The "big" 4 traxxas?? Yeah right.
i was referring to units sold really. Traxxas does a lot of business, although in the 2wd buggy sector, they are not the strongest.

at my local track, it is over run with slashes, revo's, e'revos, mini slash/revo, several bandits a couple rusty's and a couple 'pedes. Honestly, I own a slash, but probably will not buy another traxxas as there are better options out there that suit me better.

good catch though. for racing, they are not in the mix mostly
Old 10-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bschanz
for racing, they are not in the mix mostly
Funny thing is, its by choice from what I can tell. Traxxas has it in them to build a quality race vehicle.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:04 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Yeah, i would agree Cain, but it seems they all kinda have that neighbor agreement
"you stay outta my backyard Ill stay outta yours"

I have owned all three 2wd buggies-Ae-Losi-and now Kyosho, I like my Kyosho the best so far- it seems to be like a combo of the other two handling wise..
Old 10-29-2009, 11:12 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

i did like how the rear end of the kyo was constructed. i run b4s again and i'm fine with it. do not like the rearend of the losi at all, in fact thats why (as mentioned above) many have gone back to older xxx/bk2 setups instead of the CR rearend arrangement.

B4 is also a tough car as well. they all are, hard walls/pipes/barriers aside, u really gotta be doin somethin wrong to bust 1 up enuff to break it . it happens, and yes it happens to all of em and yes perhaps a lil more than 1/8 scale. but there so damn fun and really teach their drivers how to drive.

IMO AE guys lose front arms at the same rate losi guys lose t-plates. and lotta kyo parts are hard to find and in trees too (ala tamiya). that and they change their rearend setup 4 times already. quite annoyin.

all pos/neg. run what most do at ur track and have parts avail. lastly look at how u drive too. if u lean/thrash on the wheel, perhaps a losi is ur piece, if ur a finesse driver more textbook/point and shoot/driver's ed style, the b4 could be ur fit. and if ur somewhere in the middle and parts stock is ample and others run them at the track (ie if u live in NY)....the kyo may be ur piece.

best of luck

R

Last edited by ultegrasti; 10-29-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For you guys that have switched recently. Does the Kyosho use, or can it be made to use the same rear wheels as the B4/XXX cars? Or does it require the Kyosho rear wheels?

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.