Wiki Posts
Search

Custom Carbon fiber

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Custom Carbon fiber

Any one here know anything about getting carbon fiber parts done? I've got designs ready in autocad and solid works but I can't find someone to manufacture it at a good price. I was hoping if anyone had some info to direct me in the right way. I'm trying to get an offroad 10th scale together and the cf parts is the last thing I need
Old 10-23-2009, 10:24 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Contact Wes Brown at Out Front Frames. http://www.outfrontframes.com

He did some work for me. Reasonably priced and quick turn around time
Old 10-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

What is a "good" price? Other than the material being difficult to produce, cutting it with a waterjet or whatever else they use is expensive also. You are paying for the machine, person's time to operate it, material, profit margin, etc.

I tried www.emachineshop.com but have no idea how to use CAD so gave up. It's pretty cool. You create a design on their site, give specs, materials to be used, etc. and then pay them to mill it out and send it to you. I have no clue on the costs and it's probably only a good idea if you are able to produce many items for resale but you may check it out and find it useful.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

PM WB-RACER-ACE on here he frequents the D8 thread on the nitro forum. He makes CF and alum parts. He should be able to hook you up, and his prices are awesome.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Regular

I tried a few of those online manufacturing companies but their quotes were rediculous. Although I was quoting 3d parts and not 2d the prices were insane. 360 per a arm and about 225 per castor block. Hoe many do I have to order to actually sell in profit?!
Old 10-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

a shit load

Originally Posted by venom2034
I tried a few of those online manufacturing companies but their quotes were rediculous. Although I was quoting 3d parts and not 2d the prices were insane. 360 per a arm and about 225 per castor block. Hoe many do I have to order to actually sell in profit?!
Old 10-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Tech Adept

The biggest cost in making CF parts is the tooling, if you have very small quanities of parts, it is not cost effective. Most companies don't want to give up time to small quantity, lost cost jobs, they'd rather go after the bigger jobs. I know this because I work in a composites shop.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Tech Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Rattlesnaker
The biggest cost in making CF parts is the tooling, if you have very small quanities of parts, it is not cost effective. Most companies don't want to give up time to small quantity, lost cost jobs, they'd rather go after the bigger jobs. I know this because I work in a composites shop.
Yeah that's a good point. I've been under that assumption the whole tI'me I've been looking for a shop. At my quantities it's not big profit for a big company. So maybe someone on the smaller scale can benefit from my potential buisness?
Old 10-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Tech Regular

what parts do you need done? how many are u planning to sell? and where
Old 10-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Tech Adept

The other thing to consider is the quality of the resins and carbon and the procedure used in making the parts. There are alot of ways to "cheat" in composites, ie: using fiberglass in the composite lay ups
Old 10-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Tech Regular

yea its stupid when they dont put full carbon
Old 10-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Tech Regular

I did get a hold of Wes yesterday afternoon and spoke to him about what Im trying to make. I got a good vibe after speaking to him so I'm considering going in his direction. Anyone else have other suggestions?