Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
If your just now releasing a 2wd SC truck, your screwed. >

If your just now releasing a 2wd SC truck, your screwed.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If your just now releasing a 2wd SC truck, your screwed.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 09:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I wouldn't spend $400 on a Traxxas, thats just my opinion. It's a nice truck and all but thats a bit much for me. Don't really care for the Motor/esc combo they use, there 2.4's suck, and now there stepping into the 4wd scene... GOOD LUCK...

I think the CORR trucks are fun trucks to play around with, but by no means should they be considered " Race" Material. There fun to watch, and the kids seem to love them, but any racer, any real racer would spend the money on a real truck/buggy. Not a truck that was meant to be bashed around in your friends backyard track.

I think traxxas is taking this thing to far with releasing a 4wd Slash. They should have paid there design team to come up with a whole new truck/buggy design, not take the cheap and easy way out and add a shaft, vxl system, and 2.4 to a slash.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default ya

i agree hobbtown rich to heck beening employed you don't have the money for it so that solves that problem for me anyway
Old 10-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RCHobbyGuy
i agree yjere rich i had a slash and sold the thing had a sc10 sold it don't no just not my thing i guess
Heres the thing all this is going to do is create more problems for the local track owners, because you know your going to get that one guy who sells his slash thinking that everyone else will do the same. And then find out no one did, now he wants to run his 4wd slash with the 2wd slashes... and most of the racers there are going to complain about this, and I dont blame them. Because I would to....

There are enough problems with the 2wd corr trucks as it is with local tracks, I mean every single manufacture is producing these things like its crack... FOR WHAT.... if there all running on the same track and you can only use a stock motor combo why should everyone worry about running a blitz, or a sc-10 or a losi...who cares... This class will no longer be enjoyable, I can see it now the forsale section will be filled with Corr trucks, because the seller no longer enjoys the class...

How is that fun?
Old 10-13-2009, 09:14 AM
Tech Legend

Personally feel the 4w Slash is not going to near as successful as the 2w Slash has been ...

Because most of the racers I see that started with a Slash always end up wanting more and are going straight to E1/8th ....

The 4W SCT impact on club racing you guys are worried about really will be quite small....

Because
Slash Spec has all but died out already , its been replace by SCT...

Not to mention the E off-road race program is already so large , hard to even fit in a 4w SCT class .....
Old 10-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Default HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED

WELL A OUR TRACK USE TO BE A 1/8 NITRO & 1/8 TRUGGY WERE DOMINANT ....MY HOW TIME CHANGES
NOW 2 BIGGEST CLASSES SPEC SLASH & 2WD SCT
BARELY ENOUGH TO HAVE 1/8
2WD 19 BUGGY
2WD 19 TRUCK
1/10 OPEN MOD 4WD
Old 10-13-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by y2kgtp
So someone buying the RTR 4x4 Traxxas is going to replace the brushless system already installed?
Absolutely, take it from a hobby shop owner.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The outdoor track i run at rules for sct are any motor battery combo you want,any brand sct,just the tires have to be sct size,bowties goosebumps,stock are all ok.its a fairly large track and nobody complains,sure the hotter motors have the advantage on the back stretch but after that its all about handling and control and how good you are with your truck,no excuses being made at this track and maybe when this new 4wd comes out we can all race together but being seperately lap counted between the two classes.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Short Course racing is the future! Fun, affordable, and require skill to be driven fast. Those narrow little tires really make the driver the most important part of the equation. You can't just throw motor and tires at this class. Add the tire size limitations, and even aftermarket tires are not are limited in the amount of traction that's available.

I have sold most of my crawlers, my T4, and my Slash and replaced them w/ multiple SC trucks!

The short course trucks are what the stadium trucks should have been from the start.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

The only way the slash 4wd will be successful as a new race class is for it to be some sort of stockish type sct class. If tracks make unlimited rules for the 4wd sct it will turn into the money game and die. Some poor kid will save up his money and buy a 4x4 slash, take it to the track and end up racing a brushless mugen or xray w/ a short course body.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Adept

Think SC racing is here to stay regardless of 2wd or 4wd.

My opinion.

Price is always a factor, unless people sell 4wd SC trucks for $200 there will still be a demand for 2wd.

4wd will pick up for sure, now you can lay the brushless power down for sure with 4wd, for the current 2wd SC racers this is a good excuse to upgrade.

Room for both and i think overall, the affordability of either truck and fun factor is a reason the SC class is here to stay.

Honestly all of us with Buggies and Truggies, how much do you have into them???? Not $200 or $400.00

SC will continue to bring people into the sport for sure. Traxxas has just been a leader in delivering the solution the new customer wants. Cheap and easy, who can argue with it, it worked. And Traxxas has parts available at your local hobby store which is not necessarily the case for other manufacturers. This might help the tracks struggling to get a full a main of buggies to have a A, B and maybe a C main of racers in a class.

Time will tell.

JMO
Old 10-13-2009, 10:49 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by WINTER350
Think SC racing is here to stay regardless of 2wd or 4wd.

My opinion.

Price is always a factor, unless people sell 4wd SC trucks for $200 there will still be a demand for 2wd.

4wd will pick up for sure, now you can lay the brushless power down for sure with 4wd, for the current 2wd SC racers this is a good excuse to upgrade.

Room for both and i think overall, the affordability of either truck and fun factor is a reason the SC class is here to stay.

Honestly all of us with Buggies and Truggies, how much do you have into them???? Not $200 or $400.00

SC will continue to bring people into the sport for sure. Traxxas has just been a leader in delivering the solution the new customer wants. Cheap and easy, who can argue with it, it worked. And Traxxas has parts available at your local hobby store which is not necessarily the case for other manufacturers. This might help the tracks struggling to get a full a main of buggies to have a A, B and maybe a C main of racers in a class.

Time will tell.

JMO

To be honest with you, you can get into just about any class for 400 or under if your smart. No one is saying that you have to buy everything brand new..

Look I race 1/10 4wd buggy mod. I run a BJ4 that i paid $150 for, I have a LRP Sphere esc and Novak 10.5 motor I paid $75 for the set, I run a SMC 4900 2s lipo, I paid $75 for that, and the radio and Servo I already had.

If your a smart buyer you can run almost any class, all the stuff I listed there I bought used from my local hobby shop, from my local racers. For $300.00 I had a perfect running car for me to race. If people just take a look into the forsale forum they will find a lot of people that are getting out of the hobby and are selling complete cars for dirt cheap..

Give it 4 months I bet you will see a bunch of these new traxxas slashes on here for 200 or less.... as a roller, and rtr probaly 250-275....0
Old 10-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HobbyTown Rich
To be honest with you, you can get into just about any class for 400 or under if your smart. No one is saying that you have to buy everything brand new..

Look I race 1/10 4wd buggy mod. I run a BJ4 that i paid $150 for, I have a LRP Sphere esc and Novak 10.5 motor I paid $75 for the set, I run a SMC 4900 2s lipo, I paid $75 for that, and the radio and Servo I already had.

If your a smart buyer you can run almost any class, all the stuff I listed there I bought used from my local hobby shop, from my local racers. For $300.00 I had a perfect running car for me to race. If people just take a look into the forsale forum they will find a lot of people that are getting out of the hobby and are selling complete cars for dirt cheap..

Give it 4 months I bet you will see a bunch of these new traxxas slashes on here for 200 or less.... as a roller, and rtr probaly 250-275....0
As cool as the 4WD class is, the main thing that it and most of the other current classes fail to deliver is any type of scale realism.

There are many types of "off road" racing (desert, rally, short course, stadium, trials, ect...) in the 1:1 world. The version that receives the most coverage and the attention and involvement of the RC manufactures is SHORT COURSE racing.

Why is that? The vehicles provide a large area to promote your product, the venues offer amenities that are convenient to spectators and clients, it provides non stop action, and you don't have to drive to Mexico to see it.

I want to race a vehicle that resembles something that I can actually see being raced! Sure stadium trucks handle great and all, but they look rather ridiculous w/ their unproportionately sized tire handing way out size the body.

I said it before, and I'll say if again, the current short course trucks are what the Stadium trucks should have been all along.

Just my 2 cent's.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I want to race a vehicle that resembles something that I can actually see being raced! Sure stadium trucks handle great and all, but they look rather ridiculous w/ their unproportionately sized tire handing way out size the body.
The success of the current crop of RC SCTs is evidence you're far from alone. However, as time goes on, have you noticed all the aftermarket tires that became available for them? You'll see a few people whine and cry about it, but those tires are flying off the shelves. It's because they're being raced, and who wants to enter a race with inferior equipment? Sticking to stock tires is certain death, it suffocates the class. We've seen PLENTY of Spec classes die for that specific reason; eventually you get tired of going slow.

I said it before, and I'll say if again, the current short course trucks are what the Stadium trucks should have been all along.
In the world of racing, form follows function. It's no wonder they look nothing like real trucks. Scaled down trucks handle like crap, so they were scrapped for the faster ones. This IS racing, and they WILL be adapted to go faster. So until you have a race where the handling and performance are irrelevant, all RC racers will start to look more and more like what you don't want.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Tech Adept

I don't mean to offend any one, but I don't see why some are getting so riled up about this. It will either work or it won't. That simple, what difference does it make to your lives? Every one is still going to buy what ever RC they want to buy, weather or not the slash 4x4 is a flop or a success. Honestly this can only make things better, it defiantly won't make things worse. The real SCT trucks have both 2WD and 4WD, so this is a good addition to the class. Gives every one more options and choice, and the more choice there is, the better it is for the consumer. I don't care what any one thinks of the Slash as a truck, but we all know what it has done for the hobby, and it has been good. So anything that brings more people into this great hobby is a good thing.

I am sure this won't be the end of the 2WD class, for two reasons, first is obvious, the cost. New comers baught the 2WD Slash because for little cash, they are up and running in a fun class. The other is it's just different, for the same reason every one races in different classes, it's a different challenge.

Seems to me, unless I missed the thread no one made this much of a fuss over the announcement of the 4WD Ofna/Jammin SC10... seems like Traxxas was number two on this one any way.

Any way, opinions are like A** holes, every one's got one...LOL (again not meant to offend any one, that last statement was just a Joke, so any one not laughing, please laugh)

If it lasts the test of time, then it's not a fad, and all those who doubted will be wrong, and if it dies in a year, then all those who thought it would last are wrong. Either way know one is right and no one is wrong, so lets just see where it goes. Either way it's great to see some new stuff in our hobby.

That's just my opinion, and you all now know what I think of opinions... LOL
Old 10-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by R40Victim
The success of the current crop of RC SCTs is evidence you're far from alone. However, as time goes on, have you noticed all the aftermarket tires that became available for them? You'll see a few people whine and cry about it, but those tires are flying off the shelves. It's because they're being raced, and who wants to enter a race with inferior equipment? Sticking to stock tires is certain death, it suffocates the class. We've seen PLENTY of Spec classes die for that specific reason; eventually you get tired of going slow.

I agree, as long as the tires follow the SCT 2.2/3.0 format, (not 1/8 buggy tires and wheels) I'm all for them. When I first started SC racing I didn't like the idea of the pin style tires, put the tread designs used in 1:1 racing just don't perform the same at this scale, so I'm more than happy to run Goosebumps, Bow Ties, ect...

In the world of racing, form follows function. It's no wonder they look nothing like real trucks. Scaled down trucks handle like crap, so they were scrapped for the faster ones. This IS racing, and they WILL be adapted to go faster. So until you have a race where the handling and performance are irrelevant, all RC racers will start to look more and more like what you don't want.

I disagree. The stadium trucks evolved the way they did because of what they evolved from.

When I started racing in the early 80's the stadium trucks of the day were mostly Black Foots, Monster Beatles, and Big bears. It wasn't until someone converted a RC10 using the tires, wheels, and bodies that were already being used in the class did "Stadium Trucks" as we know them know come into existence.

The manufactures just eliminated the conversion kit and sold a factory version of what had evolved. If Associated, or Losi would have released a version of the RC10 or JRX2 w/ smaller tires and a body that covered them, we would have been racing SC trucks all along. But that's not the way the evolutionary wheel rotated.

While it is indeed racing, if I know that everyone else in the class I'm running is restrained in the same extent as I am, them I don't mind giving up things that would add to the performance. Ground rules for every class are established (L x W x H x WB x Weight x ect....) and followed.

Same for SC racing, no need to stick stadium truck tires or 1/8 buggy tires on my rig if no one else is allowed to run them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.