Did i fry my pro peak power supply?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did i fry my pro peak power supply?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Did i fry my pro peak power supply?

Hi all,
I was hoping to get some advice on my power supply. It is a rip max pro peak 13.8v 8.5amp supply. I was charging my sons batteries on his charger plugged into a power strip..i plugged my power supply in to charge mine and it made a quick grinding noise as soon as i plugged it in..i unplugged it immediately. It smells like fried plastic. Now it wont power on at all. It has a funky screw pattern, so i havent opened it up to see if it has a fuse or anything yet. There is no reason i can tell that it would have fried...there was nothing touching that would have shorted, etc. Any idea if i can revive this unit?

http://www.ripmax.com/item.asp?itemi...4&Category=070

Thanks all,
JD
Old 10-03-2009, 08:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jd-santaclarita
Hi all,
I was hoping to get some advice on my power supply. It is a rip max pro peak 13.8v 8.5amp supply. I was charging my sons batteries on his charger plugged into a power strip..i plugged my power supply in to charge mine and it made a quick grinding noise as soon as i plugged it in..i unplugged it immediately. It smells like fried plastic. Now it wont power on at all. It has a funky screw pattern, so i havent opened it up to see if it has a fuse or anything yet. There is no reason i can tell that it would have fried...there was nothing touching that would have shorted, etc. Any idea if i can revive this unit?

http://www.ripmax.com/item.asp?itemi...4&Category=070

Thanks all,
JD
open it up...
Old 10-03-2009, 08:29 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

When you get it open look for a capacitor. I had this happen on a charger. Went to Radio shack and matched it up. Owner of the track did it all but the dang thing worked fine for years after that

My first thought is to send it back for repair if you can. I was on a spot that day. I needed it then.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If you can't get the case open because of the "security screws" ProPeak used, buy something like this -

http://www.newelectronx.com/proddeta...er-bit-set-100

I got a kit similar to this when I needed to open up a Dewalt 36v power pac to harvest the 10 a123 cells inside. This set has even more bits, so it'll more thanprob have the one needed to open that case.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:41 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks all. Well i finally got it open. Went ahead and dremeled up a flat head screwdriver until it worked. Unfortunately, i dont see what actually fried and dont see a fuse. Bummer..

-JD