R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-09-2004, 09:13 PM   #1
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default Tuning Clutches

I know there are ways to fine tune composite clutches for different results. Can anyone give me the lowdown on how this is done. I am running a MT-12 powered Mugen MST-1 w/ Losi white shoes and it needs a little more punch. I have already messed with pipes and the low setting on the carb. I also have a Mugen MB4-XR powered by an RB C4 running Mugen black composite shoes. This also needs a little kick in the pants. Maybe someone knows of a good article about clutch tuning. Thanks in advance
RCtech - Filling me with adult drama since 2003
wild gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 02:20 AM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

If you lighten the shoes or install a harder spring you will allow the engine to spool up a little more and when the clutch hits their will be more power to the transmission.

Sounds good right? Well like everything else their is a give and take. A clutch that engauges later in the power band actually slipps more and will cause more heat wich will cause bearing failures and wear out the shoes more. You should start off by triming or drilling holes in the shoes a little at a time until you get the feel you are looking for. Be prepared to purchase extra shoes becasue under different situations and traction a differnet clutch might be needed.

Now with the mst-1 if you are using a losi clutch you can install it either leading or trailing depending on wich set of holes you use. Leading will lockup harder than trailing. You should be able to figure it out by looking at the direction of rotation of the flywheel. Trailing would be the holes in the dirction of rotation and leading would be the opisite holes from the direction of rotation.

As for the 1/8 scale the mugen white shoes will grip a little better. A good buggy setup using muge shoes is mugen 1.0 springs with 1mm cut off of the end of the shoe or you can go with a alum. shoe with the 1.1 springs.
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote