Burned out Rustler Speed Control??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Burned out Rustler Speed Control??

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? Burned out Rustler Speed Control??

I have the original Rustler, the version with the mechanical speed control. I've done some upgrades to it such as bearings, new bearing carriers, new tires, new orion 17 turn motor and a few other things.

I'm pretty sure the mechanical speed control just burnt out on me. When I try to make it accelerate the negative lead of the battery gets very hot, it does not go anywhere and I smell something burning which I think is coming from the speed control.

Does anyone know what could be wrong and how to fix it? I'm thinking about going brushless but that is expensive since I would have to get a new ESC, motor, metal axles, steel gears, etc. Any advice?

Last edited by tony48; 09-27-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

i have a nearly new havoc 3s brushed brushless speed control for 70 shipped
Old 09-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

You could purchase a new XL5 esc off of Ebay for around $30 from one of the shops that part out vehicles. You can get the programming instructions from the Traxxas website.

I would recommend this as a replacement only if lipo and brushless isn't in your immediate future.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

I didn't think Mech controllers could fail???

I am pretty sure I have an extra one if interested. I bought a box of parts long ago and it came with this black disc lookin thing I didn't know what it went to. Was told that's what it was. If I find it and you pay shipping it's yours.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Oh yeah, back in the day I used to melt them frequently by piling up Nicds on my old Tamiya.

You will be money ahead by going brushless. The initial investment is only slightly more, but the benefits will show up within a few runs. Get a mild setup like a 13.5, and you will not kill those parts on your old truck right away, but you will get lots more runtime and fun.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Originally Posted by burnineyes
Oh yeah, back in the day I used to melt them frequently by piling up Nicds on my old Tamiya.

You will be money ahead by going brushless. The initial investment is only slightly more, but the benefits will show up within a few runs. Get a mild setup like a 13.5, and you will not kill those parts on your old truck right away, but you will get lots more runtime and fun.
That's hilarious. I really wish I would have been around back in those days just to see how far the hobby really has evolved.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

if your that set on having a rustler you may want to consider just buying the updated version. maybe a velineon rustler. if its like the rustler i got for christmas like 11 years ago its pretty sad.