Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need a little charging info

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by toughtrax
Alot of what you guys are talking about is all jiberish to me can someone please explain what you are all talking about. From post #10 and on
The battery voltage rises slightly as you charge it. So the voltage can give a rough estimate of how much charge is in the battery.

Gulio is concerned that your pack voltage seemed too low for the amount of charge you had put into it, that maybe you had ran the battery down too far before charging. It is important to not discharge a lipo too far. Stay above 6 volts for a 2S, 6.4~6.8v is even safer and will help the battery last for more cycles.

The 735mah is how much charge your ~44 minutes of charge at 1 amp should had put into the battery, out of the 3200mah total capacity. Mah is milli-amp-hour. 1 hour at 1 amp is 1000mah, 45 minutes would be 750mah, etc. Or 1 amp-hour & 0.75 ah respectively.

Then the last couple of posts were discussing at what voltage is the pack for all practical purposes fully discharged. Lipos hold their voltage pretty well until the end, but then they die off really quickly. I suspect the significant difference in the numbers tossed out were because Moose was talking about voltage under load, Gulio the resting voltage. Once you quit using the battery the voltage will rise back up some.

Originally Posted by gulio
That's what's not adding up.
I think part of the difference is the low charge rate, the voltage is not dropping after pulling off the charger as much as we are used to with a standard 1C charge. I tried charging a 3600 that I had ran down to 6.6, it was 7.24v at rest before charging, after 735mah at 1 amp it was just slightly higher than the OP's at 7.65. But after pulling from the charger it only dropped to 7.59v.

Last edited by Dave H; 09-29-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by toughtrax
......I just said the heck with it pulled it off and ordered up a new charger Monday mornin......
So what charger did you order??