Community
Wiki Posts
Search

oh boy here we go!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 07:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Default oh boy here we go!

last year i asked for advice on chargers etc. for myself and my son to get into racing.its been alot of fun.thanks everyone for advice it was helpful.we ran slashes this year and had a ball.Now we want to try 1/10th buggy and trucks.i dont want to start a war, but could you guys give me your opinions about associated vs. losi vs. kyosho products? im not sure which way to go.
any input would be helpful. thanks alot
Old 09-17-2009, 07:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I used to run AE 1/10 gas a few years ago and really liked it. When I made the switch to 1/8 scale I went with Losi only because it's the brand that seemed to be supported by BOTH of my local hobby shops. That way if i broke something at a race I could go there and get what I needed with out having to PERSONALLY stock one of every part of a brand that was not popular locally. So I would base my decision on parts availability locally. I ran Thunder Tiger for a little while and was constantly scouring ebay, rctech, etc for cheap parts so I could have every possible part in case it broke. I don't worry about that now. And if the LHS is out of a part, a fellow racer will probaly let you borrow one or buy from them. That's my $0.02. Hope this helps!!
Old 09-17-2009, 07:54 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

All of the vehices you listed as well as the Academy line are good. Each vehicle may have a quirk or two specific to that vehicle (ex: Some don't like AE shocks, etc). But none of the vehicles out there suck.

From my experience at least which was with the Associated B4 and T4, and the Academy 1/10 GV2 Pro and Academy 1/10 GV2T Pro, The associated B4 with the worlds setup was very easy to drive for me. The T4 I couldn't get to drive as well as I could the B4 even on a rougher track, and for some reason I had more a-arm durability issues than I have had with the other vehicles. But for a default vehicle as a tried and true, you can't really go wrong with the AE B4 or T4.

The Academy's I run now work well, though I would recommend buying a screw set from Tony Screws to replace the kit ones, and do the long screw mod. For the GV2T truck, you should get either some of the GV2 RTR buggy hexes, or just use Proline wheels since the stock aluminum hex doesn't sit right in the wheel hex. No issues however with the buggy wheel fit, they are actually quite good and durable. I haven't had any durability issues on either vehicle, they take a beating. You can also mount of the RB5 buggy body on the GV2 Pro if you don't like the stocker. Parts can be had at Amainhobbies and Stormer.

All in all, i really don't think you can go wrong with any of the current race vehicles out there. And for the argument about parts on the shelves, one thing to keep in mind with that, sort of a grain of salt, it is great if the parts are there, its even better if the vehicle is durable and doesn't need them. You most likely stock up on common parts anyway from what I see racers do like a-arms, etc. By all means give your LHS business, but if they won't carry it, its not the end of the world.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HOWIE BEDELL
last year i asked for advice on chargers etc. for myself and my son to get into racing.its been alot of fun.thanks everyone for advice it was helpful.we ran slashes this year and had a ball.Now we want to try 1/10th buggy and trucks.i dont want to start a war, but could you guys give me your opinions about associated vs. losi vs. kyosho products? im not sure which way to go.
any input would be helpful. thanks alot
Those are 3 of the best companies to get 10th scale electric stuff from. I'd say, go to your LHS and see what is best supported, I.E. Which has the most parts. That way, if you break something, it's easy to walk into the Hobby Shop and pick up a replacement.

All other comparisons are primarily based on "Opinion"... which I'm sure you'll get plenty of.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R40Victim
Those are 3 of the best companies to get 10th scale electric stuff from. I'd say, go to your LHS and see what is best supported, I.E. Which has the most parts. That way, if you break something, it's easy to walk into the Hobby Shop and pick up a replacement.

All other comparisons are primarily based on "Opinion"... which I'm sure you'll get plenty of.
Well said

If your LHS has the stuff in stock run it, or if you like to have it shipped run what you like.

Matt
Old 09-17-2009, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default choosing

+1 on getting what your LHS has in stock all the time or what the track you are racing at has in stock if there is a shop there. If the shop is open during the races you don't have to worry that they don't carry many parts for the brand of vehicles you have. Just as important is what vehicles most of the racers use at the track you most race at. That's what I did and it has been great. At my track the popular buggy is close between the AE B4 and the Losi xxxcr. The popular truck is Losi. So I bought a B4 and a xxxt-cr and I get repair and setup help from the experinced racers that have these vehicles. Since the hobby shop at the track closes when the races start, , other racers have parts I might need if I don't have them.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Key Element right HERE:

So I bought a B4 and a xxxt-cr and I get repair and setup help from the experinced racers that have these vehicles.
This is very important when starting out in a new class. The knowledge and experience these guys have can sometimes make or break your race day. They also are typically willing to loan you a part if it means keeping you in the race.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

All of the companies make great stuff, however I prefer losi
as the parts seem to be a little higher quality in the 1/10 scale
but for 1/8 scale Hotbodies is pretty solid but I will always
drive a Losi lol
Old 09-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

I did the whole get what the hobby shop supports thing for 2 years..... I did like going to the hobby shop and getting parts and all.... Since i have driven all three brands. I Drove several Kysho's and just had to have one. I say if you have a few people at your local track that will let you drive there's see if you can wheel them for a few laps. obviously you wont have your set up but you can see what they can and sometimes cannot do.

There is not much local parts support in my area for Kyosho but i now have a rb5 and a zx5 sp. and when they releace there sct ill have it too.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

If your new to the class go with what others are running(Losi,AE,Kyosho) and you will be guaranteed to be able to get parts in a pinch.I prefer taking the road less traveled by running Academy cars. It has been a very good experience for me personally.But I have been running 2wd buggies and trucks for 20+ yrs, so finding set-ups that work for me isnt hard.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

buy a product that your local hobby shop supports the best probably not kyosho or acadamy .
Old 09-17-2009, 02:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by slapaho16
buy a product that your local hobby shop supports the best probably not kyosho or acadamy .
+1
Old 09-17-2009, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slapaho16
+2 nothing wrong with Kyosho but parts are not as common, acadamy seems to be on the bottom of the quality food chain, hate me if you want but that's IMO.