Wiki Posts
Search

New guy with a new car (8ight-E 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blade329
Welcome to the wonderful world of 1/8th scale, where money goes out fast. I'm convinced there is no way to run one of these without spending $1000+. If you got the cash, it is well worth it though.
Actually I still think it's rather cheap compared to my other hobbies. For example, racing bikes (bicycles) I had five bikes averaging around $6,000 each (my two expensive bike's were closer to $8,000 each). I mess around with photography some, it's amazing how expensive that hobby is. Oh, I also ride sport bikes, my current bike is an MV Agusta F4 1000R. That's not exactly a cheap pass time either.

For the money I believe I will get quite a bit of enjoyment out of this hobby. On top of that it will be a great way to take my mind off of not being able to race road bikes. It should get me out of the funk I have been in since my two knee surgeries earlier this year.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The only thing you forgot is a Lipo sack. They do work and can save you from being homeless. If you are going to race you might want to get a personal transponder also.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mwiley
The only thing you forgot is a Lipo sack. They do work and can save you from being homeless. If you are going to race you might want to get a personal transponder also.
Thanks, but isn't that what this is or do I need to get something else??

PTK-LIPOSAFE ProTek R/C Lithium Polymer Flame Resistant Charging Bag (23x30cm)

I'll check into the transponder but I have to work the next four weekend (family business) so I'm not sure if I will get to race any before next season. I will get one when the time goes though, thank you.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:09 PM
rhino420

lowcel you are my idol!! ha-ha talk about a shopping spree!! ha ha well trust me you will be happy when you have it out on a track and your kicking but !!! these buggies are great ! but yes they do hurt the pocket book!! ha ha

Old 09-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rhino420
lowcel you are my idol!! ha-ha talk about a shopping spree!! ha ha well trust me you will be happy when you have it out on a track and your kicking but !!! these buggies are great ! but yes they do hurt the pocket book!! ha ha
What are you talking about, you spent a good chunk of the money for me. Thanks again for all the advice and answering my countless questions.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by lowcel
Thanks, but isn't that what this is or do I need to get something else??

PTK-LIPOSAFE ProTek R/C Lithium Polymer Flame Resistant Charging Bag (23x30cm)

I'll check into the transponder but I have to work the next four weekend (family business) so I'm not sure if I will get to race any before next season. I will get one when the time goes though, thank you.
It's funny cause I don't think I have ever seen a lipo fire with the battery outside the RC car. Saw a 8th scale, probably 4s, go up in flames this past weekend. I guess I like to live dangerously or have just been lucky all this time! I think I may have just jinxed myself!
Old 09-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Sorry I missed the Lipo sack on your list. And I know of 3 people personally that have had lipo fires on the charger when they where not in the same room. And they were not so called cheap lipos either.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:06 PM
rhino420

Originally Posted by mwiley
Sorry I missed the Lipo sack on your list. And I know of 3 people personally that have had lipo fires on the charger when they where not in the same room. And they were not so called cheap lipos either.
most lipo fires happen when a cell is punctured or if the sell is damaged and you dont have a good charger that can tell you if it. that's my experience and opinion this is not fact so i don't want to hear people jumping on my case but lowcel you will be okay i never had a problem and ive been running 1/8 scale for about a year and half

Old 09-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rhino420
most lipo fires happen when a cell is punctured or if the sell is damaged and you dont have a good charger that can tell you if it. that's my experience and opinion this is not fact so i don't want to hear people jumping on my case but lowcel you will be okay i never had a problem and ive been running 1/8 scale for about a year and half
That's good to hear, especially since I'll be contacting you in a few days for instructions on how to use that new fancy schmancy charger.

Now, anyone have any suggestions on spare parts I should pick up? What are some common broken parts on the 8-E 2.0? What pinion gears should I pick up? Anything else you can think of?

I'm starting from scratch and I would hate to drive an hour (each way) to drive the car only to break something common and easy to replace five minutes after I get there.

Thanks again everyone. Also, I promise I'm not wasting everyone's time. I'm listening to all suggestions.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm diggin the paint job, one of the better designs I've seen. Nice

Even tho I don't have an 8ight, what I carry is A arms, shock ends, 3 and 4mm screws, shock oil, extra wire and plugs, solder and iron, wheel nuts, pinions, grub screws and assorted toolz.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Tech Adept

I don't think you will need a arms. At least I haven't had to change any for the past year I have been driving my 8ight. Make sure to get the aluminum servo horn. You will probably strip the plastic ones on your first run. Other than that, I can say I have invested in shock shafts, bottom shock caps, I would also get the shock rebuild kit for the 8ight and some extra boots. Maybe an assortment of pinion gears. I have had a few pinions wear out over time. I actually switched to the Kyosho plastic 46T spur and since then I haven't worn out a pinion. There really isn't much else outside of electronics that you would need.

IMO 8th scale, outside of the initial investment (which is about the same for any scale), 8th scale electric buggy is probably the most cost effective and reliable RC category. I probably spent twice as much on my 10th scale cars than I have on my 8ight. In fact with my 8ight, I spend more on track fees than spare parts!
Old 09-15-2009, 04:51 AM
Tech Master

Thank you. I am putting my order together now. Should I order the aluminum motor heat sink as well?

Here is my shopping cart so far.

Team Losi Body Clips (12)
Team Losi 4mm Rod End Set
Team Losi 8IGHT Screw/Nut Assortment Box
Racers Edge Easy Grip Body Clips (10)
Team Losi F/R CV Driveshafts (2): 8B
Team Losi Aluminum Servo Saver Arm (2.0)
Team Losi 15mm Shock Boot Set (4)
Dynamite 5 Piece Standard Hex Driver Set
Dynamite 5 Piece Standard Nut Driver Set

Last edited by lowcel; 09-15-2009 at 05:16 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

So does that list look alright or is there anything (within reason) that I should add to it?
Old 09-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I would find out what kind of tires the other guys at your track are using and grab some of them. It gets pretty frustrating when you get to the track with one set of tires and they don't hook up.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by lowcel
So does that list look alright or is there anything (within reason) that I should add to it?
Definintely get the shock service parts kit. Much cheaper to get it all together rather than purchase seperately. But I would still order more of the shock boots as those wear down easy.
http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...e-Parts/Detail

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.